Install vB, board traffic explodes!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Install vB, board traffic explodes!

I just have to share a story with you - a vBulletin success story as it were.

I recently installed PerlDesk, a really nice, free helpdesk application.

The application is written by a hard working developer, who accepts donations and cranks out changes that his customers ask for in a very timely manner.

He was using a free forum on his site, and he was getting 20-30 posts a day. The forum software was difficult to use, difficult to follow threads and new posts, and generally was a pain in the neck.

A discussion ensued to replace the forum software he was running with another free forum. I offered to buy him a copy of vBulletin as a donation to his program - and he jumped on it.

He installed it the next day and wham! traffic immediately jumped to 100+ posts a day!

The new forums are of course easier to follow, and generally the forum is now a valuable asset on his site. I know that the forum change is what caused the increase in traffic - and it's stayed fairly constant in the past couple of weeks - providing his customers with a real community.

Just thought I'd share.

-t
    Tim Hewitt
    myOstrich Internet - Domain Management & Internet Services
    myOstrich Golf - When it comes to golf, we don't have our heads in the sand.

I had this when I first swapped from boardpower. The level of discussions almost doubled over night and the number of page views went up even more with hacks (they were hacks in those days!) like private messaging.
    Christopher Padfield
    Web Based Helpdesk
    DeskPRO v3.0.3 Released - Download Demo Now!

Comment

Hi theWitt,

It never ceases to amaze me when I hear stories of this type. Where just having a vB board produces better results. This isn't the first story I've heard that said the same scenario. This really says something for vBulletin.

Comment

same happened with my forums at ezboard in 10 months had 3900 posts total now i get 1400 - 2400 posts/day! with vB
        :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
        :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
        :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

eva used ezboard???

Comment

Originally posted by Jakeman
            eva used ezboard???
            yup for 10 months before moving to vB

ezboard total posts = 3900
            vB total posts = 552,000
            :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

Originally posted by eva2000
              yup for 10 months before moving to vB

ezboard total posts = 3900
              vB total posts = 552,000
              That's a huge jump! I use ezboard at the moment(along with Ikonboard...) and I only have 3500 after 9 months...not the best at advertisment am I? But I'm switching to a vB(going to set it up tomorrow, to tired now) and I'm hoping to do the same for my traffic(key word: Hoping) I'm not too sure why this is so, but when someone sees that a forum runs vBulletin, they join...just like that.(sort of an attention grabber to me) Then I came across the forums in my sig, they were running UBB at the time, I joined and they were relatively small(20K members) then they switched to vBulletin and they average 100 new members a day!(currently at 44,800+ members)

Comment

Originally posted by Static-xbox

That's a huge jump! I use ezboard at the moment(along with Ikonboard...) and I only have 3500 after 9 months...not the best at advertisment am I? But I'm switching to a vB(going to set it up tomorrow, to tired now) and I'm hoping to do the same for my traffic(key word: Hoping) I'm not too sure why this is so, but when someone sees that a forum runs vBulletin, they join...just like that.(sort of an attention grabber to me) Then I came across the forums in my sig, they were running UBB at the time, I joined and they were relatively small(20K members) then they switched to vBulletin and they average 100 new members a day!(currently at 44,800+ members)
                on ezboard i only had 190 members in 10 months
                on vB i have 4940 members

dam if i had 44,000+ members i'd have over 5 million posts by now LOL

just remember with growth comes growing server and hosting costs

Comment

Originally posted by Static-xbox

Comment

I have been running vBulletin Board since October, and have had only 20 people sign up, and 50 posts (mostly by me and someone else).

How do I increase traffic to my my forums?

It's a Mac site, and I have no revenue for paying for banners and will not be putting banners on the site.

How to I get people who read the articles, to notice the forums, and post to the forums?

52 out of 78 registered members, jabe ZERO posts.

You Mac users out there, what will it take for you to come to my forums daily and post post post?

I need all the advice I can get

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by eva2000

I have 87 members after 9 months....like I said, I'm not too great at advertising ezboards I'm well prepared for the growing server/hosting costs

Comment

I used ezboard prior to vB, as well. My jump:

ezboard: 1500 posts
                        vBulletin: 30,000
                        Marc James
                        Sports Central — Beyond the Scores
                        Sports Central Message Boards

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X