Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aussie broadband users messed with again :(

http://whirlpool.net.au/article.cfm/703

not only did they a few months ago cap my AUD$72.55/mo 512k/128k cable plan to 3000mb upload/download total per month but now they want to increase the price by another AUD$15/month according to the above article

AUD$1 = ~US$0.51

before i have to pay AUD$72.55/mo for

512kilobit down / 128 kilobit up
    capped at 3000MB download + upload per month !

now for AUD$87.55/mo

they remove the cap on speed but 3000MB download + upload with AUD$0.139/MB ~ AUD$142.33/GB overages what am i suppose to do with a full speed cable access ?

/end vent

and the provider Telstra is the only one to service my area
    :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
    :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
    :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

ugh.. aussie internet really sucks eh? co-worker of mine is/was having the same problem.. good lucking having a media company's pr manager on a capped line with a quota..

anyhoo, basically, what i'd recommend you to do is check how much you really need fast access atm..

if you're online every day, that's about 100mb / day.. of you're on ~12 hours each day, that's about 8.3mb / hour..

8.3mb / hour is about 2.36k/sec if you don't want to risk going over the limit

so basically, if you don't really have the need to transfer huge-ish files quickly, you might very well be better off with a modem & a free isp.. sadly :/
    My open eyes see everything, and you see nothing. . .
    That forum

Comment

Originally posted by okidoki
      ugh.. aussie internet really sucks eh? co-worker of mine is/was having the same problem.. good lucking having a media company's pr manager on a capped line with a quota..

anyhoo, basically, what i'd recommend you to do is check how much you really need fast access atm..

if you're online every day, that's about 100mb / day.. of you're on ~12 hours each day, that's about 8.3mb / hour..

8.3mb / hour is about 2.36k/sec if you don't want to risk going over the limit

so basically, if you don't really have the need to transfer huge-ish files quickly, you might very well be better off with a modem & a free isp.. sadly :/
      the thing is i use average 125 - 133mb/day normal surfing and stuff so just out... i just got by last month which was the first month they starting enforcing the cap - i used 2998MB but now i have to pay AUD$15/month for the privilege of being capped
      :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
      :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
      :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

Yup, Bigpond Telstra is biting the big one, and like you they're the only ones who offer cable here I went over last month by 500MB, and will definitely go over this month...

Only 4 months til I move to the UK tho, hopefully things will be a bit brighter there.

Comment

I've heard so many people ***** about Telstra, it's almost funny
          Need a job done? Get in contact with me and we'll see what we can work out.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkB
            Only 4 months til I move to the UK tho, hopefully things will be a bit brighter there.
            lol.. don't count on it.. make sure you live in a area where bt aren't the only provider..
            supposedly, bt are the telstra of the uk

friend of mine ordered bt's adsl package.. technician came over to his place, hooked it up, it worked fine (no pl to normal sites, decent ping, good speeds).. technician calls up bt, technician takes the gear and leaves..

"you're too far from the switchpoint, adsl will not work here"
            My open eyes see everything, and you see nothing. . .
            That forum

Comment

*covers ears* don't tell me don't tell me! LOL

Comment

NTL in the UK offer

512kbps down / 128kbps up for £24.99 a month and that includes rental of the cable modem, unless you purchase the cable modem and its only £19.99 a month.

Its not capped at least

so now the maths
                £24.99 = US$37.50 = AU$73.50
                £19.99 = US$30 = AU$58.80

so its almost the same for broadband here and there.

cool thing with NTL is that you can vary from
                128kbps down / 128kbps up for £14.99 and you can get 1mbps down / 512kbps up for some price i haven't looked into yet.

BT sucks, thats all i have to say.
                Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

What's the URL for NTL? I'm hoping to have it all installed and ready at my fiance's place before we land.

Comment

http://www.ntl.com

the direct link to the broadband site is

http://www.askntl.com/broadband/
                    Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

Not available in the area I'm moving Doh!

Comment

It has a tendency to lie

just phone up ntl and ask them nicely, as they run the cable down the same cable as the cable tv so they can make it cheaper than the evil btopenworld
                        Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

*dang it*
                          dumping cable
                          moving to ADSL 1Mbps down 256Kbps up
                          You're my Prince of Peace
                          And I will live my life for You

Comment

poor eva.

here's a cream pie to brighten your mood. (i just love this pic)

Comment

wow and i dl over 2GB a day of music vids, mp3s etc, i would die to be capped like that
                              MCSE, MVP, CCIE
                              Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X