Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does having VB increase transfers of data?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does having VB increase transfers of data?

I want to switch to VB from ezboard. I just looked at my server stats and I had 2,000 megs "requested" in a day. I'm flipping out here so the last thing I need is to increase traffic. Will having VB do this? Is a request when a photos is taken or simply when the page is loaded?

I was also wondering:

1) If that amount of transfers of data is normal.
    2) What exactly is a "request" for data or transfer of data?
    3) How they calculate "requests"
    4) Ways to minimize requests
    5) If I can't minimize requests than what do I do? I think my limit is 4gigs per month.

My site is www.montrealracing.com

Thanks guys.
    Last edited by DannyITR; Thu 17 Jan '02, 7:57am.
    Danny
    My Site ---->www.montrealracing.com

4gigs per month is kind of low but it would depend on your number of members and posts etc,,
    MCSE, MVP, CCIE
    Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

I took a look at your site and forums (after waiting a painful amount of time for your ezboard to load--thanks to the ezboard people for implementing a "caching system" that slows down surfing for non-members). Your forums don't look much busier than mine, if at all. However, by putting a vbulletin on your server, you are going to increase your bandwidth used--probably by a lot. Since you've been using ezboards for your message boards, you've been using their bandwidth to serve the message board pages, so you'll have to add those page views into what you're already using on the rest of the site to get a ballpark figure as to what kind of bandwidth you'll be using.

My boards use about 6 gigs of transfer a month. My entire site is contained in my vbulletin database. We get about 3000 page views a day and gzip isn't installed on the server. (Gzip would make the bandwidth less if it was installed.)

Frankly, I'd think about switching hosts if I were you. I'm switching from http://www.tera-byte.com to http://www.venturesonline.com this weekend. My members had a coup and are forcing me to switch because of slow load times and server downtime as of late. I don't know what you're paying for your account, but VO has some reasonably priced packages for fairly low bandwith sites along with bigger packages for those who use more.

Comment

Originally posted by Susan

Frankly, I'd think about switching hosts if I were you. I'm switching from http://www.tera-byte.com to http://www.venturesonline.com this weekend.
        ive made the same switch last weekend susan and i rekon youve made a wise choice - ventures online have been much better, turn gzip on on ur vb n watch it fly

good luck with the move !
        http://

Comment

Yahoo has 200 megs of space, and 30 gigs/month of transfer for only $29.99/month. The only problem is that they don't support MySQL which is necessary for VB.

Can anyone suggest a host that has a simlilar package with MySQL?

Thanks
          Danny
          My Site ---->www.montrealracing.com

Comment

Danny, I sent you an email about my experience with Tera-byte. I don't have any personal experience with VenturesOnline yet, but some of the people that I trust implicitly around here swear by them. VO also has the V500 package that gives you ~20gb of transfer a month with 500mb of server space for $24.95 a month. Yes, it's less transfer, but from what I saw of your site, I don't think the 2,000mb of transfer a day was accurate. In static html pages, that would be close to 200,000 page views a day. Do you think you're getting that many? I would think your message boards would be getting many more hits than it is if you were really getting that many page views. (Sometimes tracking software can be off.)

VenturesOnline also uses gzip compression whereas tera-byte doesn't. Gzip will decrease your bandwidth used on your vbulletin pages. (It zips up the page and sends it to your user's browser compressed.)

Like I said in my email, I'm not totally disgusted with tera-byte. They've done a reasonably good job for a great price. My users have become a "family" of sorts though and they're crying for speed...and since they're footing the bill, who am I to not comply? LOL

Comment

I currently have TB and I've been looking to switch to another host for two reasons:

1) gzip compression = good.

2) I want something with a bit more uptime. I get semi-frequent periods of downtime for about 10 minutes apiece, and my users are complaining.

VO sounds pretty decent, but I don't know... it's a good deal more expensive. ($25x12=$300, compared to the $99/year I'm spending right now).

Comment

Danny, when you move from Ezboard your forums will explode with new users. A decent host is just as important as decent forum software, so your not far off making 2 good choices.

I've never heard of anyone running vB on Yahoo webspace, but I woudl probably discourage it. People have mentioned VO and I can recommened KDA Web Servives who host my forum and offer some great service and support for the price.

if your on Ezboard, I shouldn't think you'll use more than 10gb per month in your first 3 months of opening. Ezboard is too slow and crap for anyone to drain that much of it (in comparrision to vB) - but make sure you pick a host who will let you grow without the prices really hurting your pocket.

Once you've had your Ezboard convered to vB you'll never look back, and thats speaking from experience!
                HP DL-380 G6, 2x E5520, 28GB RAM, 4x300GB SAS, VMWare ESXi
                -
                Unreal Tournament : Assault forums - irc://irc.utassault.net:6667 -

Comment

Originally posted by Nupraptor
                  I currently have TB and I've been looking to switch to another host for two reasons:

1) gzip compression = good.

2) I want something with a bit more uptime. I get semi-frequent periods of downtime for about 10 minutes apiece, and my users are complaining.

VO sounds pretty decent, but I don't know... it's a good deal more expensive. ($25x12=$300, compared to the $99/year I'm spending right now).
                  Nupe...the way I'm looking at it is that with gzip I'm going to save bandwidth and can probably go with the $19.95 package. Yes, it's still quite a bit more expensive, but the benefit of having the uptime and the speed will make up for any pinch the extra $10 a month costs me. (On top of this, my members are complaining about the slowdowns and downtime, so I said "you wanna new host? It costs more" and they started chipping in to pay for it. )

Comment

Originally posted by Martz
                    Once you've had your Ezboard convered to vB you'll never look back, and thats speaking from experience!
                    I can vouch for this!
                    Originally posted by Susan
                    so I said "you wanna new host? It costs more" and they started chipping in to pay for it.
                    Yeah, I can see how that's a bit more viable for you. But I'm paying for everything out of my own pocket.

Tell you what: After you've had a few months experience with VO, could you please drop me an e-mail and share your thoughts on them? I'd be willing to pay the extra cash, if it's really worth it.

Comment

No Prob, Nup. I have high expectations for VO.

Comment

[ offtopic ] (kinda) Nupe, just wanted to say here....after submitting my very first ticket at VO at 3:09 pm and having it answered and resolved at 3:16, they've made a very good first impression.

Comment

It's definitely on my list of considerations.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...
                          X