Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question About Linux and Home Computer

Posted on WHT but wanted to get my fellow VB'ers feedback
    Hello, I'm looking to purchase cheap computer which I can dedicate to learning linux on. I would like to install Redhat 7.2, since most servers have Redhat installed on them. I was wondering what fellow WHT members thought about which computer would be the best fit.

AMD T-Bird 950MHz
    128MB SDRAM Memory
    20 GB (5400 Rpm) ATA 100IDE Hard Drive
    1.44MB 3.5" Floppy Disk Drive
    Sony 52x Internal IDE CD-Rom Drive

Intel Celeron 800
    128MB SDRAM Memory

AMD Duron 800
    128MB SDRAM Memory
    Artec 16x IDE Internal DVD Drive

They all basically have the same specs, just different processors. So what do you think is the best computer and why? Also does it matter if the components are integrated or not?

Thanks for any help in advance.
    Steven

The machine I use as my Linux development server, for testing all my vBulletin code, is a little Celery 433 with an Intel i810 all-integrated motherboard and a 7GB hard drive, running Redhat 7.2.

Runs fine, no real need for anything bigger.

Comment

Like you said, the specs are almost the same. I am not sure about that last machine though, since it has such a slow CD ROM drive.

Pick a random number from 1-3!

-Vic

Comment

Thanks for your replies, how much ram do you think the system should have to be running at optimal capacity?

Comment

Originally posted by steven
          Thanks for your replies, how much ram do you think the system should have to be running at optimal capacity?
          for linux , 64 MB should be fine
          MCSE, MVP, CCIE
          Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

I was reading through the redhat manual and I have one last question. I was wondering what type of installation that you all recommend, ie workstation or server? I want to use this computer as my main desktop computer, but I also want to use it to try to emulate a server environment.

Thanks again
            Steven

Comment

I'd recommend a custom setup personally - the workstation and server configs are a bit limiting for my liking.

Comment

AMD T-Bird 950MHz
                128MB SDRAM Memory
                This will be able to handle anything you throw at it. Actually all three will do fine

I would like to recommend against Red Hat 7.x due to bloat, but this is because I think FreeBSD owns Linux at just about everything (iy even has linux emulation). I develop on FreeBSd and I will never go back. you can do a FTP install over your cable or dsl if you want which is really nice if you don't want to use a CDrom. The ports collection is really nice to use. Shall I go on? It behaves exacly like linux (there are differences, like the importance of the /usr directory) but all in all, I like it a LOT.

Just some food for thought

Comment

On a side-note, Kier, how come you've not changed over to the mr. book avatar like the rest of 'em?
                  Well, there it is.
                  - Keeper of the Grove

Comment

Been a bit busy...

Comment

ok hopefully this will be my last question regarding this computer. I have heard from a couple of people that integrated components will not work with linux. Since I am a newbie to linux, I was wondering if anyone can do me a HUGE favor and take a look at the computer that I would like to buy and tell me if it will be suitable for linux. Here is the link to the computer that I want to buy.
                      http://www.myjackrabbit.com/a_eco.html

Here is the url to the motherboard and the specs
                      http://www.pcwave.com/prod-m810lmr-xp.html

All help is greatly appreciated
                      Steven

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X