Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Forum Networks

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Share the Love Forum Networks

    I wonder if anyone has ever looked at this idea..

    There are loads of vBullletin forums out there, on all subjects you can imagine, yet most forums still sit alone and you have to register for each one individually, facebook helps a little I suppose.

    But what about the idea of a forum network, where owners of forums in a similar but non-competing subject area can join together using some sort of technology allow users registered on one site in the network to login to other sites in the same network without having to register for each site individually. But keeping each site on it's own server etc.

    Say, for example I run a Motorsport forum, but I could join with a site about general motoring, and effectively share our userbase.
    Motorsport Forums

  • #2
    One flaw in this idea is that busy sites lose out. The quiet sites get members for free, the busy sites gain nothing and in fact lose out on traffic.
    MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

    TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.6.3 Demo
    AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Mark Hewitt View Post
      Say, for example I run a Motorsport forum, but I could join with a site about general motoring, and effectively share our userbase.
      5-10 forums together...The idea is good but...
      A spammer could register on one forum and with its bot could spam immediately 5-10 forums in a few seconds.


      vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Mark.B View Post
        One flaw in this idea is that busy sites lose out. The quiet sites get members for free, the busy sites gain nothing and in fact lose out on traffic.
        Sure, but you have forums which don't compete directly, plus you of course you choose carefully which forums you want to parner with.
        Obviously I wouldn't partner with a site which also has Formula 1 discussion forums or with one which only has a dozen members!
        Motorsport Forums

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Mark Hewitt View Post
          Sure, but you have forums which don't compete directly, plus you of course you choose carefully which forums you want to parner with.
          Obviously I wouldn't partner with a site which also has Formula 1 discussion forums or with one which only has a dozen members!
          All forums compete directly because they compete for people's time.

          If someone is posting on another forum instead of mine, it doesn't matter what the subject matter is, I have lost posting activity to another forum.
          MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

          TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.6.3 Demo
          AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

          Comment

          widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X