Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can anyone help me find a database of movies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone help me find a database of movies?

My forum is going have a section to discuss movies, actors/actresses, directors, etc.

I would like to have a complete database of movies on my site. Something along the lines of the Netflix list with the basic data: release date, director, main actor/actress, brief description, etc.

I have found a site called Michael's Movie Mayhem who has an excel spreadsheet you can download. I did that and it's WAY too extensive and has far to many duplicates to cull through. I guess he lists his movies by UPC and one title has several UPC's (one for BluRay, one for standard, one for HDDVD, one for VHS and so on). I don't have the time to cull through 120,000 titles to de-duplicate them...

I found another site called TMDb that has something called an API which will let me "use" their data for free. It's open source. But I'm not a developer and don't even know what an API is and how it all works. I want to have my own interface that is exclusive to my sie. I don't want users to have to navigate away from my site to get all their movie info somewhere else.

My developers tell me they need something like an Excel CSV that they can import into our interface. The database would need the DVD cover, director, actors and actresses, description and the other fields of information we need for each listing.

Any suggestions?

I think the Internet Movie Database (IMDB) has a way to getting information from their site. But, you would need to code an interface in order to scrape it's information. I don't know of any other place to get this for free.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
    vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
    Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
    If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

Originally posted by Lynne View Post
      I think the Internet Movie Database (IMDB) has a way to getting information from their site. But, you would need to code an interface in order to scrape it's information. I don't know of any other place to get this for free.
      Thank you Lynne. Don't I need some kind of license to scrape date from IMDB?

Comment

Sorry...I meant "scrape data"

(How do you edit a post on here??)

Comment

That is something you would need to ask them about.
          Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
          Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

As others have noted, I recommend IMDB.

Sounds like one hefty site you're planning there. Good luck.

Comment

imdb doesn't own copyright over information that is public, they only have copyright over the presentation and user/ community generated content. if it's information about movie like actors' names, characters, length of movie, language, director/ writer and such things i think one can use them directly from imdb, if it's somebody's opinion on the movie from imdb that you're copying may be you should ask them.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X