Gigger worm can format Windows PCs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gigger worm can format Windows PCs

Gigger, a new JavaScript-based virus, has escaped into the wild. It attempts to delete files from a computer and format user's disk drive on restart and antivirus vendors are characterising it as high-risk.

Gigger, which uses a combination of Microsoft Outlook and mIRC to spread, is not spreading widely, but its destructive potential has prompted Symantec to issue a strongly worded warning about the worm.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/56/23652.html
    MCSE, MVP, CCIE
    Microsoft Beta Team

1. don't use outlook.
    2. don't open e-mail attachments that you don't know were purposely sent to you by some one you trust.

you are now immune to computer virii... except for maybe nimda or something (3. disable all but admin acct and choose a secure password)

tada!

Comment

1. don't use outlook.
      Not always a choice, especially in the workplace.
      forums: pcfx.cc
      gallery: here

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. X

Not always a choice, especially in the workplace.
        4. don't work

Comment

Originally posted by Jakeman

4. don't work
          Not always a choice, especially if you want a roof over your head, and food to eat.

Comment

4. don't work
            Jake
            how do you pay your site's costs?
            You're my Prince of Peace
            And I will live my life for You

Comment

Originally posted by nuno

Jake
              how do you pay your site's costs?
              i have a job with an unrestricted broadband connection available to me so i can check my e-mail. both my e-mail addresses have web based clients. and i don't have an e-mail address for my work place so i don't have to use outlook.

Comment

Web based email is highly underrated.

Comment

So what other email clients appart from outlook express are there?
                  http://www.e-tones.co.uk - The best site on the net for mobile phones.

Comment

Originally posted by etones
                    So what other email clients appart from outlook express are there?
                    hey mate loooooong time no see.. i converted from OE to Euduro because OE can't handle my email load without crashing or corrupting mail folders
                    :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
                    :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
                    :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

Hi Eva, you never use ICQ

hehe...#

Well I have Eudora Pro 5... tried it, its weird trying to get use to somethng different when you've used OE for all these years...
                      http://www.e-tones.co.uk - The best site on the net for mobile phones.

Comment

Originally posted by etones
                        Hi Eva, you never use ICQ

hehe...#

Well I have Eudora Pro 5... tried it, its weird trying to get use to somethng different when you've used OE for all these years...
                        you know me i only start icq for moments at a time and if there is no one visibly online i just shut down icq...

i used OE from mid 1995 until early 2001, been using Eudora since.. still needs getting use to but i don't get as many corrupted folders any more with Eudora maybe 1 or 2 corrupted folders per month and Eudora automatically repairs them when accessed anyway
                        :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
                        :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
                        :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua Clinard

Not always a choice, especially if you want a roof over your head, and food to eat.
                          Don't eat ?
                          Well, there it is.
                          - Keeper of the Grove

Comment

Originally posted by Skeptical

Don't eat ?
                            omg

*me steels smilie*

Comment

1. don't use outlook
                              Bah, it's not like if you use Outlook, you are automatically destined to get a virus. If you run up-to-date antivirus protection, a good firewall, and use precaution, you'll never have a virus.
                              Marc James
                              Sports Central — Beyond the Scores
                              Sports Central Message Boards

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X