Forums copied by webhost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forums copied by webhost

Sorry this is a bit long, I've tried to keep it as short as I can!

I started my motorsport discussion site in 2000 (using vBulletin 1.2!) and from the start the idea was having the forums in different styles / colours so that various motorsport websites could link to the forums and have them appear as if they were part of that site, even though I controlled the forums. At it's peak we had about 25 'partner sites', but that's dropped back to just two now.

Around 2003 I hit problems with the hosting arrangements so asked one of the 'partner' sites, motorsport.com if they could help with the hosting, to which they agreed and they hosted the site from then until a couple of weeks ago.

We split with motorsport.com because they wanted to take control of the forums and they offered to buy them from me, however we couldn't agree on a price so I refused. However after that they became rather insistent and gave me a deadline.

Suspecting something might happen I started taking regular backups of the forums and sure enough, the day after the deadline I found my forum account had been deleted, and the permissions of all my moderators removed.

As I controlled the DNS I quickly set up on another server and carried on as normal, however motorsport.com still have a copy of the forums they are trying to pass of as their own, the only claim being that they were one of many partner sites and they hosted the forums for the majority of this time.

As you can imagine I'm rather annoyed that they have taken a copy of 'my' database without permission, not to mention all the code modifications I've done over time with the vBulletin 3.6 install there. Repeated requests to remove the database and code and start afresh have been met with either refusal or silence.

Thanks for reading, any advice on where I stand on this?!
    Motorsport Forums

Legally? I am not sure. You might want to contact their host.
    Shamil Nunhuck, - Radon Systems Ltd.
    VPS + Dedicated Server Hosting and Management
    vBulletin Hosting and Services
    Server / Website Consultation

Comment

They do their own hosting!
      Motorsport Forums

Comment

Do they even own a vbulletin license?

If not turn them in and let vbulletin go after them for using an unlicensed copy. It sounds like they are trying to bully you. However they try to spin it they stole your site and data.
        Admins Zone - Resources for Forum Administrators

Comment

If they don't own a vb license, you can try reporting it as a pirated site in vb.com. But they will probably just buy a vb license and vb.com wont be able to do anything then.
          Your best bet would be contacting their host (if THEY are in charge of their servers physically, their ISP). If all fails, the only way you can do anything is file a law suit.

This is why never host your forums on a host you can't trust (this usually means people you KNOW).
          Never give anyone else access to your forum ftp/database unless you trust them 200%.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Hewitt View Post
            They do their own hosting!
            Their Datacenter or upstream provider.
            Shamil Nunhuck, - Radon Systems Ltd.
            VPS + Dedicated Server Hosting and Management
            vBulletin Hosting and Services
            Server / Website Consultation

Comment

Originally posted by AWS View Post
              Do they even own a vbulletin license?
              They didn't, but when I pointed that out, they went out and bought one.
              However I'm pretty sure they're still using code which is stamped with my licence ID.
              Motorsport Forums

Comment

dmca asap http://www.dmca.com/

Original Website Copyright © 1998-2003 Craig Antill. All Rights Reserved.
                Ten-Tenths Motorsport Forums Copyright © 2004-2010 Royalridge Computing. All Rights Reserved.
                Do it yourself or better contact a solicitor locally and have them file.

Comment

Where did you get that ten-tenths stuff from? That's not my website...
                  Motorsport Forums

Comment

http://forums.motorsport.com/forums/...d.php?t=140905

Comment

Ah right! Had me going there. That's someone from a different forum trying to take advantage of the situation!
                      My website is at http://www.motorsportforums.com/
                      Motorsport Forums

Comment

Report them for piracy! Copyright is something that should be taken seriously.
                        Aussiefootyforums

New Site New forum
                        Come and talk sports all day long

Comment

Note, action can only be taken if a copy of your licensed files are being used.
                          Vote for:

- *Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe*
                          -
                          *PM - Add ability to reply to originator only*
                          - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s)
                          - "Quick Route" Interface...

Comment

I hate to say it but what do you guys expect out of him contacting the host, data center, or upstream provider? Cry that someone copied his forums? He doesn't truthfully own the content itself, although it could be debated in court, it's all public posting so it's crossing a line as it is and I would believe legally they both owed the data since both had access to the databases/accounts/hosting providers. They are going to laugh and either not respond or tell you to stop wasting there times, you can't take it to court, if he had access to your site, ie: hosting it, he legally has access to the data and he didn't hack your forum than pass it off on his own, you got yourself in the mess your in, now live and learn and stop crying about it, fact is, people will stick with your forum or go to his, and next time don't partner up with anyone unless you want to take a risk or you have it in legal writing in case something like this could happen.

Comment

Originally posted by carntheroos4eva View Post
                              Report them for piracy! Copyright is something that should be taken seriously.
                              Stop giving advice that makes no sense, what the hell is copyright? Unless he owns the trademark or alike there is no copyright violation, not even close to it, the data isn't copyright.

If you want it so bad and he's using a similar site register it wtih the government and sue him if he uses the same name, that's if you feel like wasting thousands of dollars.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X