Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carntheroos4eva
    replied
    Can't actually see the announcement. In fact they have closed it off to the public.

Yeah looks dodgey.

Leave a comment:

• sensimilla
    replied
    Originally posted by jscieza View Post
    Hi,

AVForums is a forum running vBulletin 3.8.2 but now it looks like XenForo in some parts: http://www.avforums.com/forums/index...=switch_to_exp

Why? From the announcement:

Interesting! I wonder how much Kier charges per hour of job. Maybe US$1,000?

Thank you,
    Jonathan
    better go buy vbulletin iphone app for 300 $ ROLFMAO

Leave a comment:

• Alfa1
    replied
    Not bad. Not awesome yet. Surely some very cool elements.
    One of the best advancements I see is that you now have a lot of free space on forum index and forumdisplay. You could benefit form this by increasing thread title character limit. Or reduce the wasted space between subforum columns.

I always found the default forum icons butt ugly. Why not throw them overboard?

Leave a comment:

• Spinball
    replied
    Originally posted by BirdOPrey5 View Post
    Obviously significant effort and cost went into this... Does this mean your planned switch to XenForo is still a long ways away? Seems like a lot of work for something that's just going to be up a few months?
    We will take key elements of the new design (which isn't finished, by the way) with us to xenForo. The the cost of the design is not lost when we swap platforms.

Originally posted by Private_Ale View Post
    if someone was actually paid to do it, they paid too much.
    The Complete vB guys. I couldn't recommend them in all honesty.

Thanks for the calcification. I never noticed the slight difference in name.
    AVSForum have been around a lot longer than us and are a US based AV retailer who happened to launch an AV Forum which took off big style. David Bott (and others) have done a good job with AVSForum, I think.
    We at AVForums are UK based and do nothing but run the forum. We started after AVSForums so have less traffic, but given that we have a significantly smaller market, we will always be so, I think.

Either way, IB dropped the ball big style with vB4 and nothing I said over a year ago made a jot of difference.
    Last edited by Spinball; Wed 19 Jan '11, 11:07am.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Mikey
    replied
    Looks good, cant wait to see you running XenForo

Leave a comment:

• BirdOPrey5
    replied
    Thanks for the calcification. I never noticed the slight difference in name.

Leave a comment:

• Arkham
    replied
    I agree, if I was running vBulletin sites like AVS Forums would have a direct number to my office.
    Just to clarify, while AVSForum is another prime example, Spinball runs AVForums.com.

(Which still sometimes confuses me when I try to log in as "Arkham" instead of ".Arkham" because someone used my name on AVForums.com. )

Leave a comment:

• BirdOPrey5
    replied
    I agree, if I was running vBulletin sites like AVS Forums would have a direct number to my office.

Leave a comment:

• Arkham
    replied
    Obviously significant effort and cost went into this... Does this mean your planned switch to XenForo is still a long ways away? Seems like a lot of work for something that's just going to be up a few months?
    With the high profile and established prestige of his site (it's the best-of-breed for internet A/V users), I suspect that the XF folks are going all-out to assist in making this a spotlight example of XF. Smart moves, all around.

I don't necessarily agree with all of Spinball's criticisms, but most of them have merit. This has been an opportunity wasted on vB's part. They should have bent over backwards, forwards, and sideways to keep him happy. Avsforums.com is probably in the Top 3 biggest, best-est, brightest vB-for-now communities out there.

Leave a comment:

• BirdOPrey5
    replied
    Originally posted by Spinball View Post
    No, you can't polish a turd
    It's a good way of easing our members into the xenForo style, though.

Leave a comment:

• Loco.M
    replied
    I wouldn't say it looks like xF either, it just looks real "bubbly" and makes the page real long IMO

nice video..lol

Leave a comment:

• Private_Ale
    replied
    Jonathan:

Personally, I don't think it looks too hot. At first impression, an overinflated balloon comes to mind when one looks at the overall structure and color scheme.

It's still no less table-based than a stock installation and buttons are still image-based. Other than giving the table headers a superabundant amount of padding, funkifying the forumbit, and a lavender-ish color that rivals my girlfriend's favorite bra, I don't really see anything 'exciting' about it and if someone was actually paid to do it, they paid too much. Frankly, the only nice piece is the breadcrumb and it's not exactly unique any more.

My biggest question, for you Jonathan, is why copy/paste the same exact message on both the .com/.org forums? Does this make you feel 'big' or like you are 'fighting the system'?

Thank you,
    Maurice

Wanna bet
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBj6PonX14A

Leave a comment:

• Ace
    replied
    Touché.

Leave a comment:

• Spinball
    replied
    Originally posted by Ace View Post
    Indeed. Bit much to say it 'looks like xenforo' at the moment though.

Leave a comment:

• Mark.B
    replied
    There are some similarities and it's obvious that's the design direction they are heading in, ahead of an eventual switch.

My breadcrumb bar also looks a bit like XenForo's, but then their breadcrumb design, in appearance, is not entirely unique it has to be said. (The way it's actually built is though).

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X