Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you use the validation for new registrations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cloughie
    replied
    lucky you

if I don't have people trying to sell anabolic steriods I have juiced up system admins trying to hack the server lol.

Leave a comment:

• Chris Schreiber
    replied
    Originally posted by cyo
    What about problem users you have that sign up for free email accounts?
    I've been lucky.... haven't had any problem users at all, and I get very few spam messages.

Leave a comment:

• cyo
    replied
    chris,

What about problem users you have that sign up for free email accounts?

Leave a comment:

• Chris Schreiber
    replied
    I have (maybe) a unique approach to this. I require email validation for all new users, so when someone registers they get the email with a link to validate the account. However, I've modified my "Users awaiting confirmation" group permissions to allow those users to still post, so they can post right away even if they didn't get the email, but I'll still know if they've validated the account or not. Seems to work well for me

Leave a comment:

• cyo
    replied
    i use email validate all the time because of the topic of the forum and sometimes i use admin require to validate when i have trouble users trying to post, because it always seems that when i get one they bring their friends. My ban list has 30 plus members, and i only have 300 members. I use to have 567 but i just prune it.

Leave a comment:

• Cloughie
    replied
    prince, I don't currently use it..

For one I think some people are tempted to put in any email as they don't want an email address registered. I know you can turn off admin emails but some people will still think ahh i'll throw in a fake one and not realise it has to be verified. That means a lost member or two accounts and an annoyed member lol..

also yeah its a pain in the ass.. what if someone wanted to post a q there and then and didn't have access to the email addy they put at that moment?

all in all i find it best to not turn on email validation.

i have used it probablly 3 or 4 times when i had an abusive member re re registering diff accounts to make it as painfull as possible for him to mess with me lol

hope that helps

Leave a comment:

• Mitrofan
    replied
    Not only do I use it, I also have a program running once a week via cron that sends out reminders to activate accounts to people who have not activated in the last week and it also deletes users that have not activated in over 30 days.

I just preffer to have only users with valid email addresses and only those who are actually interested in being a registered member.

SUre it cuts down the number of total users, but what good are the users with phony emails.

This is like a double opt-in email list vs. non double opt-in list. Quality of users over quantity in what I'm after.

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    Originally posted by bromyaur
    I don't use it. I have a new forum with very few members and I want to make it easy for them to jump in and post something right away without waiting for me to read my email.
    You don't have to read your email with email validation. new members can post immediately after they click on the link in the validation email.

Leave a comment:

• bromyaur
    replied
    I don't use it. I have a new forum with very few members and I want to make it easy for them to jump in and post something right away without waiting for me to read my email.

If I begin having problems with members as stated in some of the other posts then maybe I will have to reconsider this approach.

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied
    I use it because most people don't uncheck the email notification and if they post a lot, I get clogged up with bounced emails.

Leave a comment:

• Joe Gronlund
    replied
    never use to, i do now to cut down on possible spam attacks even though its not a complete fix for it.

Leave a comment:

• CondorZ
    replied
    Yes we use both validation and moderation.

Seems to me if you didn't use validation and a user entered an invalid email address and chose to receive reply notification, you'd get a lot of bounced email. Plus all the problems Steve mentioned as well.

Leave a comment:

• ja5es
    replied
    Oh, stupid me. No, I don't use it. When I register I hate having to open up my emails to be able to star posting.

Leave a comment:

• jam583
    replied
    Sorry, in that case I do use it. I got confused a few posts after your first post when someone switched it.

Leave a comment:

• Prince
    replied
    Originally posted by jam583
    Nah .. to many new signups per day and I want people to be able to post within minutes of signing up. Not waiting on me (If I'm on vacation etc .. hehe)
    I'm asking about e-mail validation, NOT moderation!

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X