X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lizard King View Post
    Does anyone have transcripts ?
    There should be videos coming.
    vBulletin Hosting - Building my Automotive Forum Network...
    vBulletin FAQ - Lincoln vs Cadillac - Mopar Forum - Car Audio Forum - E Body Mopar Forum - B Body Mopar Forum
    Pick Up Truck Forum - C Body Mopar Forum - FMJ Body Mopar Forum - Willys and Jeep Forum

Comment

We will post up a blog post with photos etc. this Wednesday.
      Adrian

Comment

Originally posted by Lizard King View Post
        I wish. Those would have been really useful.

Originally posted by joeychgo View Post
        There should be videos coming.
        I can't wait to see them.

Originally posted by IB Adrian View Post
        We will post up a blog post with photos etc. this Wednesday.
        Awesome Adrian. It was really great to meet you. I look forward to reading what you guys thought of the conference.
        Huntsville's Premiere Car and Bike e-magazine: www.huntsvillecarscene.com

Comment

Originally posted by Andreas View Post
          Yep, I was sitting right behind you
          It's so funny... Now I'll be able to put all the faces I saw to the people here.
          My law forum, lawyers and legal help site

Comment

I was there too..
            vBulletin Hosting - Building my Automotive Forum Network...
            vBulletin FAQ - Lincoln vs Cadillac - Mopar Forum - Car Audio Forum - E Body Mopar Forum - B Body Mopar Forum
            Pick Up Truck Forum - C Body Mopar Forum - FMJ Body Mopar Forum - Willys and Jeep Forum

Comment

Just posted a blog about my experience with the event. http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/entry...ies-Conference

Comment

Originally posted by joeychgo View Post
                I was there too..
                Sorry I didn't get to chat with you this time Joey - I hope you enjoyed the event.
                Its a pity that the weather wasn't a big improvement on Chicago weather when you were there!
                Adrian

Comment

The presentations are up on Slideshare.com. Search for viglinks or forumcon.

Comment

Originally posted by Samir View Post
                    I don't think forums are dying. Facebook's problems with moderation is one that has been solved in the forum world years ago. And there's a serious backlash going on in fb land. Brand marketers and advertisers like fb because it fits easily into the whole 'blanket' marketing strategy, and makes it easy to quantify the results and show their boss. Forums aren't so easy to penetrate, but have a much deeper impact than a blanket ad ever will. And the smart marketers are figuring this out.

Personally, I don't see the point in a hobbyist spending a grand a month out of pocket to run a large forum with no ads. I mean, that's the purest sense of a grassroots community, and you'll have no 'corruption' from business principles. But I don't see the point in this. Forums are work, and why would you pay to work and get nothing but a 'good feeling' in return. I don't know about the others out there, but it's not enough for me. I don't mind the time, but it better pay its own bills.

Big business takes this a step further by trying to structure a forum as a viable, sustainable business. Forums die all the time, and a lot of it is due to a hobbyist not having a long term vision or the skills to know how to sustain a business. Big business does bring this expertise to the table, but at a price. It's a balance that every forum network out there is learning about. No one is an expert in this yet.

Now, there is the side of it when big businesses have no idea what they're doing and walk in and ruin a community. But big businesses are known to make that mistake when acquiring other types of businesses as well, so that shouldn't be a shocker.
                    So are you saying it costs $1,000/month to run a large forum? Why is that?

I'm starting my own forum and hoping it doesn't cost anywhere near that. The hosting is under $100/month. I plan on having user moderators that are unpaid...stuff like that. Obviously, if it grows into hundreds of thousands of users, I can see the big expense (paid mods, etc.) but, by then, I WILL have advertisers to help cover the cost.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lizard King View Post
                      That would be helpful. Also, at some conferences, they make the presentations (ppt, keynote, etc.) available online somewhere. Anyone know if that is the case? I'd be willing to buy them

Comment

• Originally posted by Samir View Post
                        Thanks Samir...disregard my last post

Comment

I did a search but didn't find them??

Comment

• Originally posted by rustyangel View Post

I'm starting my own forum and hoping it doesn't cost anywhere near that. The hosting is under $100/month. I plan on having user moderators that are unpaid...stuff like that. Obviously, if it grows into hundreds of thousands of users, I can see the big expense (paid mods, etc.) but, by then, I WILL have advertisers to help cover the cost.
                            As long as it is a starting forum yes, hosting will be under $100(even under $20)for a shared server.
                            Then it starts to be over $100 and $200...

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

• Originally posted by rustyangel View Post
                              I did a search but didn't find them??
                              Here you go. This should be all 9 of them:
                              http://www.slideshare.net/VigLink/3-...-forumcon-ppt1
                              http://www.slideshare.net/VigLink/9-...orumconpresent
                              http://www.slideshare.net/VigLink/1-ig-forumcon2011
                              http://www.slideshare.net/VigLink/2-dan-gill-huddler
                              http://www.slideshare.net/VigLink/5-adrian-harris
                              http://www.slideshare.net/VigLink/4-...hoipostrelease
                              http://www.slideshare.net/VigLink/6-nadia-aly
                              http://www.slideshare.net/VigLink/8-...sscottbonafide
                              http://www.slideshare.net/VigLink/fo...port-at-google
                              Originally posted by rustyangel View Post

I'm not saying that it costs that much up front, but things will get expensive. It's not just hosting costs, it's time, energy, and effort as well as if you build it like a business. And if you look at large, multi-thousand simultaneous users forums, they require substantial serving horsepower which costs more than $100/month.

And don't be so confident on the advertisers. If you look at slide 15 of Justin Choi's presentation (#4), you'll see where he talks about the perception issue. You see that Gucci store on the left? That's Facebook and Twitter where all the advertising dollars are going. See Wal-mart in the middle? That's where a bunch of money goes because there's a bunch of people. You see the flea market in the parking lot? That's the way advertisers look at forums. Just your bargin basement crap.

Now, one of the takeaways from this whole conference is that this perception is incorrect. And the increasing amount of spam on Facebook and Twitter is showing what can happen to ANY community without moderation, a lesson learned over a decade ago in the forum world. There are good clean forums out there that are ideal for advertisers. But most still have too many 'risky' posts and threads for advertisers to want to associate with.

For example, cursing and swearing is common on most forums. Does Proctor and Gamble want their product associated with curse words? Well, put them side-by-side on a page that a search engine spiders and that's exactly what happens. Search for their product name and watch the obsenities fly up in the top 10 results. Not good for business, so P&G stays away.

It's why forums are the flea market--a lot of good stuff, if you don't mind digging through the garbage.

But you can build a clean community from the ground-up. Just don't expect stellar growth rates. Finding like-minded, mature people who want to invest a significant amount of time online isn't easy. And you better know your niche well, or you'll be another forum that just comes and goes.

Comment

I'm not saying that it costs that much up front, but things will get expensive. It's not just hosting costs, it's time, energy, and effort as well as if you build it like a business. And if you look at large, multi-thousand simultaneous users forums, they require substantial serving horsepower which costs more than $100/month.

And don't be so confident on the advertisers. If you look at slide 15 of Justin Choi's presentation (#4), you'll see where he talks about the perception issue. You see that Gucci store on the left? That's Facebook and Twitter where all the advertising dollars are going. See Wal-mart in the middle? That's where a bunch of money goes because there's a bunch of people. You see the flea market in the parking lot? That's the way advertisers look at forums. Just your bargin basement crap.

Now, one of the takeaways from this whole conference is that this perception is incorrect. And the increasing amount of spam on Facebook and Twitter is showing what can happen to ANY community without moderation, a lesson learned over a decade ago in the forum world. There are good clean forums out there that are ideal for advertisers. But most still have too many 'risky' posts and threads for advertisers to want to associate with.

For example, cursing and swearing is common on most forums. Does Proctor and Gamble want their product associated with curse words? Well, put them side-by-side on a page that a search engine spiders and that's exactly what happens. Search for their product name and watch the obsenities fly up in the top 10 results. Not good for business, so P&G stays away.

It's why forums are the flea market--a lot of good stuff, if you don't mind digging through the garbage.

But you can build a clean community from the ground-up. Just don't expect stellar growth rates. Finding like-minded, mature people who want to invest a significant amount of time online isn't easy. And you better know your niche well, or you'll be another forum that just comes and goes.
                                I think you have hit the nail on the head with that last comment. That's what my site is going to do differently...I'm going to let the site do all the work "finding like-minded people" with similar/common interests.

I would go in to more detail but I don't want to spoil it. Suffice it to say that my idea is something I feel the web is missing in general. I will be "live" by July. By about April or May I will begin building momentum and "let the cat out of the bag" with my idea and how it's all going to work. Interestingly enough, I actually plan on having a FB page for my site to help drive people to me. Something tells me once people grasp the concept of what I'm doing, it's going to explode. (Of course, who DOESN'T think they have a good idea!)

In your opinion, what is a GENERAL break-down on hosting costs for a forum based on certain levels of users? 10,000 users? 100,000 users? 250,000 users? I know this may be impossible to estimate this way but I'd at least like to get a ROUGH idea for planning purposes. The worst thing that could happen to me is that the site takes off before I can start generating revenue and then have to shut the thing down because I can't afford the hosting...

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X