Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Host disabled index.php because AOL claimed it was a spam script (yeah, I'm serious.)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mark Hewitt
    replied
    Just move hosts! Get a VPS somewhere, they are light years better than any traditional hosting account with non-root access. It does help if you know your way around a linux command line, admittedly.

Leave a comment:

• fccsonline
    replied
    Yes - I'm complaining about Host Clear. They do a lot of things rights, but this situation is a deal killer for me. I believe Host Clear is AKA "Just Host"

Leave a comment:

• FreshFroot_
    replied
    Originally posted by fccsonline View Post
    Anyone have a new provider recommendation? The plot gets even funnier...

They emailed me from billing, stating they're sorry I wanted to cancel but offered 3 free month's to give them another chance. I decided I"d give it another shot, moving forums is a pain in the butt. I accepted the offer.

3 hours later I got an email stating that I'd emailed the wrong address since I was a reseller - and they could only offer one month free. I wasn't the one who emailed that address - they emailed me from it.

To Host Clear I'd like to give a huge 2 finger salute.
    So Host Clear is the crappy provider you are talking about? I was going to say name and shame them, but I assume that is their name correct?

Leave a comment:

• fccsonline
    replied
    That's a completely different scenario, though. Someone on your webserver actaully WAS sending out spam and your host should've caught that earlier. Ours is a relatively small forum sending email to ~20 AOL users that requested it. The whole thing is whacky, and I miss my VPS - will be going back that route.

Leave a comment:

• deutsched
    replied
    That's completely outrageous from your host.
    However, I could understand where they're coming from. Currently my website is banned from sending mail to Yahoo, Hotmail, and Gmail because some idiot who's on the same server as mine used a script on his website to send out spam. So now everybody on the shared server is banned from sending mail, and LunarPages is watching helplessly; saying there's nothing they could do..

Leave a comment:

• fccsonline
    replied
    Essentially they would, if AOL complains again. Don't know why AOL would though considering no emails are going out from us to their servers, at all - we unsubscribed everyone from all threads that had @aol.com email addreses, and asked anyone with posts (greater than zero) to use an email elsewhere.

If they block another script, I've learned you can delete it via FTP, and upload it again, and you have permissions to run the script again...

Moral of the story: avoid JustHost and HostClear. They are not a customer oriented host.

Leave a comment:

• Alfa1
    replied
    Then better send your host an email asking them to confirm that they will not disable the forum again, if you block all AOL users from your site.

Leave a comment:

• fccsonline
    replied
    Getting rid of AOL addresses is a win-win! The bigger issue is how JustHost / HostClear thinks crippling a forums is OK.

I didn't change hosts because this is something I do on the side. I have about 20 sites on HostClear and will move them all at once in a few months when I have the time. I've been traveling for business and there are many more priorities before this - I more or less just needed to vent about a crappy host. They're not keeping my business, but I'm already paid ahead for a few more months anyway.

Leave a comment:

• Alfa1
    replied
    FCC: I dont understand either why you are still on the same host. Switch to a better one! Else you will keep experiencing this nonsense.

Leave a comment:

• stifler's mom
    replied
    I would suggest signing up to the AOL Feedback Loop and make sure that you have a privacy statement that includes that it is the users responsibility to unsubscribe from any post that they subscribed and by marking their subscribed emails as junk will result in a ban from your site Blah Blah Blah.

Ask AOL for the old report, Now either ban all users that marked you as junk or disable their email options.
    Notify both AOL and your hosting company of the action that you have taken to ensure that this does not happen in the future.

In the future
    Limit your bounced emails, Add postmaster, abuse etc to the email ban list, Set up and monitor some email addresses like abuse & postmaster if you have not already, Join the other Feedback Loops for hotmail etc, And do a check to see if you are on any email spam lists.

Oh and good luck
    Last edited by stifler's mom; Tue 11 Jan '11, 12:49am. Reason: Change your host

Leave a comment:

• Mark.B
    replied
    If I was with a host that simply assumed one of my legitimate software scripts was a spam tool and disabled it (thus crippling my site) on the say so of an ISP, I'd be with a different host within 60 minutes of receiving the email.

Leave a comment:

• Ace
    replied
    Originally posted by feldon23 View Post
    Preventing anyone who still uses AOL from signing up sounds like a win-win to me.
    Until we can stop them from breeding, it's a start.

Leave a comment:

• feldon23
    replied
    Originally posted by fccsonline View Post
    Happened again.

This time they disabled showthread.php

I removed all users subscriptions with @aol.com email addresses, and added @aol.com to the banned emails user list... It's temporary, I'm moving hosts, they once again to give a flying flip that I'm their client, not AOL.

Had they called and said "hey, we have a problem with how many emails are going to AOL, they're claming it is spam" that would have been a good way to keep a client happy, and we'd simply ban aol from the forum. As it is - FAWK HOSTCLEAR!
    Preventing anyone who still uses AOL from signing up sounds like a win-win to me.

Leave a comment:

• Shamil.
    replied
    Why didn't you change hosts?

Leave a comment:

• fccsonline
    replied
    Happened again.

This time they disabled showthread.php

I removed all users subscriptions with @aol.com email addresses, and added @aol.com to the banned emails user list... It's temporary, I'm moving hosts, they once again to give a flying flip that I'm their client, not AOL.

Had they called and said "hey, we have a problem with how many emails are going to AOL, they're claming it is spam" that would have been a good way to keep a client happy, and we'd simply ban aol from the forum. As it is - FAWK HOSTCLEAR!

Leave a comment: