This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shamil. View Post
    Erm, for me, the fees have tripled. Try putting that in your budget, and see how far you go - given that you're not eligible for maintenance, your scholarship is now redundant. You're forced to loan. You pay for your transport, food, education, will not work because businesses cannot afford you. Yep, this is a great thing. Oh, and taxes are increasing as well.

Clearly you just can't appreciate bailing out financial institutions and grande corporate welfare. Who on earth do you expect to pay for it?

Quick reduce the minimum wage! Oh wait... that's Ireland.
    Hmmm. Cheese.

Comment

Erm, for me, the fees have tripled. Try putting that in your budget, and see how far you go - given that you're not eligible for maintenance, your scholarship is now redundant. You're forced to loan. You pay for your transport, food, education, will not work because businesses cannot afford you. Yep, this is a great thing. Oh, and taxes are increasing as well.
      Ya it's a tough time Shamil.

But just hang in there and do your best.

I feel for ya, but sadly that's the way things are. I guess the most students can do is rally and put pressure on local government to find a way to help out.

I've seen companies, who sponsor students also sponsor less in the last 2-3 years. They just don't have the same kinda profit as before. Heck, they are laying off workers, so they def can't sponsor students these days...

Tough time in the world right now.

Comment

At this rate, I'll probably move Online classes for medicine don't exist unfortunately.
        You might want to look into the Legal side of things, I honestly thought that you thought you were a lawyer.
        My Live vB5 Site - NZEating.com
        vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace View Post
          You might want to look into the Legal side of things, I honestly thought that you thought you were a lawyer.
          Nope, I just have a 'special interest' in law. hmm Medical lawyer?
          Shamil Nunhuck, - Radon Systems Ltd.
          VPS + Dedicated Server Hosting and Management
          vBulletin Hosting and Services
          Server / Website Consultation

Comment

So they should have to pay the full amount, a university education is a privilege not a right and should be paid for by the person that gets the benefit.

For example why should the tax payer subsidise somebody getting a law degree so that once they've got that degree they can charge £100 per hour for the skills that they were subsidised in getting. Its not like the students have to have the cash upfront, they get loans to pay for it which they don't even have to start paying back until they earn over £21k per year which is above the UK average wage.

Comment

Originally posted by akia View Post
              So they should have to pay the full amount, a university education is a privilege not a right and should be paid for by the person that gets the benefit.

For example why should the tax payer subsidise somebody getting a law degree so that once they've got that degree they can charge £100 per hour for the skills that they were subsidised in getting. Its not like the students have to have the cash upfront, they get loans to pay for it which they don't even have to start paying back until they earn over £21k per year which is above the UK average wage.
              You really haven't heard of Student Finance, have you? Erm, freshies, just graduated never charge £100 per hour. They wouldn't get anywhere doing that. The UK is trying to reduce NEET. They look like they're trying to increase it.

Comment

Originally posted by socceronly View Post
                Clearly you just can't appreciate bailing out financial institutions and grande corporate welfare. Who on earth do you expect to pay for it?

Quick reduce the minimum wage! Oh wait... that's Ireland.
                Our taxes already cover this apparently. Students aren't meant to be investing in something that doesn't really concern them, for the duration of their student life.

Comment

Will be interesting to see how many students find jobs in the next few years that will actually see them hit the threshold to pay these back.
                  Vote for:

- *Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe*
                  -
                  *PM - Add ability to reply to originator only*
                  - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s)
                  - "Quick Route" Interface...

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor Hannant View Post
                    Will be interesting to see how many students find jobs in the next few years that will actually see them hit the threshold to pay these back.
                    Reminder: The public sector has just cut another 5,000 jobs Unemployment is rising

Comment

That's exactly what I'm talking about. The number of students not finding the jobs that they were hoping their degrees would get them is on the rise. They're not earning anything like what they thought they would earn (if indeed they find a job!) so they're not meeting the threshold to start paying the money back in the first place...
                      Vote for:

- *Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe*
                      -
                      *PM - Add ability to reply to originator only*
                      - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s)
                      - "Quick Route" Interface...

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor Hannant View Post
                        That's exactly what I'm talking about. The number of students not finding the jobs that they were hoping their degrees would get them is on the rise. They're not earning anything like what they thought they would earn (if indeed they find a job!) so they're not meeting the threshold to start paying the money back in the first place...
                        Which brings us to the start of the cycle.

Comment

Our taxes already cover this apparently. Students aren't meant to be investing in something that doesn't really concern them, for the duration of their student life.
                          I was being sarcastic.

I think school should be accessible to everyone. You shouldn't have to join the army or mortgage decades of your life to go to school.

It's just too valuable to your society.

What would really rather have? More nuclear weapons? Another aircraft carrier? Bail out another financial institution while their execs get bonuses? Or put people through school.

No one can reasonably complain about subsidizing education while countries do any of the things above.
                          Hmmm. Cheese.

Comment

Now, adults, what do you think of this news?
                            I am looking at $12,000 a year for my daughter to go to University if she chooses to go to school in California. Outside the state, it will probably cost 1.5 times that. Though all told, it will probably cost about $70,000 (with all the costs not covered by Tuition and Fees) for four years of college.

Even then, she wants to be a teacher. Which isn't really a high paying career path unless you have a Masters or Doctorate degree.
                            Last edited by Wayne Luke; Fri 17 Dec '10, 10:38am.
                            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Wow. I am impressed by the sophistication of spam in this thread; it's keyword based.
                              anders | vbulletin team | check out the new vbulletin facebook app
                              Proudly vBulletin'ing since 2001
                              Please be my friend!
                              http://www.twitter.com/inetskunkworks
                              vBulletin Performance Articles:
                              Click here to read

Comment

Its not fair for the International student who come from other countries to get education here . I think the ratio of new students for getting admission will decease which will effect the universities and Government too .

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X