Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer Geniuses!!

I need your assistance

I'm considering a new software package for our site which will require a new server (just to run it) which isn't the problem.

It requires Coldfusion and SQL (not MySQL). Can anyone enlighten me as to what the differences are between these and what is Coldfusion that it is so "advanced'?

Cold Fusion is a programming language, but is closer to HTML rather than PHP or ASP in terms of difficulty to learn.
    Movie Forums - Now With 28% More Bruce Willis

Comment

Fortunately I won't have to learn it (that's what I'd be paying these guys for). But is it easy to maintain?

Comment

Uh...I don't know! Think of a really easy to learn programming language...so then, yeah, I suppose it wouldn't be too tough.
        Movie Forums - Now With 28% More Bruce Willis

Comment

Eww - isn't ColdFusion fairly NT specific? Like, it runs on Linux, but not too well. Or am I confusing this with something else?

Comment

That would be it Mike/Ed/Peter

Comment

So I would probably need an NT box for this one (this program would be the only thing on this server)?

Comment

Cold Fusion is actually a Web Application Server, meaning it combines all of the components needed for delivering an application over the web, including the web server, database, and programming language. You can get more information here: http://www.allaire.com/products/coldfusion/index.cfm

I've seen some VERY impressive web applications written in Cold Fusion. The only drawback is that it runs best on NT, and I'd prefer a Linux server over NT anyday.

-Chris

Comment

Fusetalk is a nice forum written in ColdFusion.

Comment

Yes, you want an NT box if you are going to use cf. cf has great searching capabilities and is very robust and works well with high volume, but it's expensive. They were way ahead of the crowd in being the first, I believe, to offer a web server, database and programming language similar to html using templates rolled into one. cf is an application development system that creates interactive dynamic webs. I know people who swear by it. It's fast, balanced, scalable. Some question its security. On the other side of the camp are those who program using asp.

[Edited by Shoe on 09-30-2000 at 02:27 AM]
                    "The best time to sleep is just before waking up."

--Shoebuddy Jones

Comment

VERY expensive.

Comment

Expensive, yes, but since CF is not freeware, the more hardcore features (remote development
                        services, multithreads, cluster support,etc) are implemented more rapidly, and Allaire (maker of CF) seems to take user feedback seriously. There is a
                        sizable beta tester population as well. CF is always comformed and
                        integrated well with the industrial standards (HTML 3/4, XML, Javascript
                        1.1/1.2, Cobra and Dcom support, etc).
                        "The best time to sleep is just before waking up."

--Shoebuddy Jones

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X