Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheRageIsOn View Post
    Don't underestimate your own users!

Regardless what age they are they have a few cent to spare, if they like what you are doing/offering them
    with your community they will help!

Even if you do not have hundred thousand users, just TRY IT !
    I doubt a 14 or 16 yr old has access to paypal to pay.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
      When I can't afford something outright, I put money on a debit card every month. Once I have enough money on the card, I then purchase the item. Yes, the card costs me a little upfront but that is the price of doing business. This would be the best alternative at this time for someone.

Issuing credit terms for a small purchase like vBulletin is a paperwork nightmare on both sides of the fence. And yes, even though some people cannot afford the $190.00 price tag outright, in the larger scheme of things, it is a small purchase.
      when you have a younger person who doesn't have access to a debit card such as somebody who is u/18 who wants a forum but can't pay for it because they don't earn enough makes is difficult.
      Aussiefootyforums

New Site New forum
      Come and talk sports all day long

Comment

Originally posted by beishe8 View Post
        Leased licence. Dead with vB.
        I am not talking about leased licenses. I am talking about a special agreement between the individual and the company Where the company has access to the individual's bank account with the individual's permission and the company takes out an agreed amount between the two parties. ($10 a month)
        All internet companies do this as do other premium forums. Also all hosting companies do this.
        So why doesn't vB?
        Aussiefootyforums

New Site New forum
        Come and talk sports all day long

Comment

Originally posted by carntheroos4eva View Post
          I am not talking about leased licenses. I am talking about a special agreement between the individual and the company Where the company has access to the individual's bank account with the individual's permission and the company takes out an agreed amount between the two parties. ($10 a month)
          All internet companies do this as do other premium forums. Also all hosting companies do this.
          So why doesn't vB?
          Guess its too much of a hassle and increases costs to have someone taking care of all this stuff.

I mean someone can make 1-2 payments and disappear. Then they have to waste more time sending DMCA's etc.. It just creates more work for the staff in the long run.

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFroot_ View Post
            I doubt a 14 or 16 yr old has access to paypal to pay.
            when you have a younger person who doesn't have access to a debit card such as somebody who is u/18 who wants a forum but can't pay for it because they don't earn enough makes is difficult.
            From the License Agreement:

vBulletin 4.0 Software License Agreement

This Software License Agreement (this "Agreement") is between you (either an individual or an entity, referred to hereinafter as "you" or "your") and vBulletin Solutions, Inc., a wholly-owned subsidiary of Internet Brands, Inc., and its affiliates ("vBulletin Solutions", "we", "our" or "us") for the vBulletin 4.0 software that accompanies this Agreement, as may be updated or replaced by feature enhancements, software updates or maintenance releases (the "Software") and any services that may be provided by vBulletin Solutions under this Agreement ("Services"). Do not use the Software until you have carefully read the following Agreement.
            By installing, copying, accessing, downloading or using the Software (or authorizing any other person to do so) you are indicating that you are 18 years of age or older (any parent or guardian of a person under the age of 18 may accept this Agreement on behalf of a user), are capable of entering into a binding legal agreement, have read and understand this Agreement and you accept its terms and conditions. If you do not agree with the terms and conditions of this Agreement, do not install, copy, access, download or use the Software.

If they're under 18, they'd need a parent to do it on their behalf. In which case they can always ask the parent for a loan. Saying that, if one of my kids wanted to pay that money when they hit 16 for forum software, I'd tell them to bolt regardless of the price!
            Vote for:

- *Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe*
            -
            *PM - Add ability to reply to originator only*
            - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s)
            - "Quick Route" Interface...

Comment

So why doesn't vB?
              Internet companies can cut your connection if you don't pay. Hosting companies can take your package and site down if you don't pay.

We don't have that ability. Sure, we have hosts who work well with us when we report an unlicensed site to them and they take it down but there's no guarantee that they will do this - or when. If someone uses a host, or hosts in a country that won't co-operate with us andstops paying after two months then we're out of pocket and they have a license for a fraction of the cost it should be.

A monthly payment option will simply not work.
              Vote for:

- *Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe*
              -
              *PM - Add ability to reply to originator only*
              - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s)
              - "Quick Route" Interface...

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor Hannant View Post
                From the License Agreement:

If they're under 18, they'd need a parent to do it on their behalf. In which case they can always ask the parent for a loan. Saying that, if one of my kids wanted to pay that money when they hit 16 for forum software, I'd tell them to bolt regardless of the price!
                Yes, and I know many parents are scared. I mean some of them have NO idea where the $ is going to. Imagine your kid coming to you asking you for money to buy makeup or something your not too familiar with. I'm sure you'd be a bit cautious as well.

Also note the fact that parents sometimes don't feel comfortable using a credit card etc.. online. Especially with all these articles and local news hearings of various scams and what not. They don't want their kid falling into a scam and ending up paying for the damage themselves.

I know, because I have a forums with younger kids and teens and some adult. Not everyone's parents will agree to help out or feel comfortable.

As I said it depends on your forum audience. With adult members you usually can easily raise donations and what not.

Comment

There are other alternatives if you are willing to consider them, like phpBB, Invision Power Board, xenForo...

Comment

Why not monetize your current forum with Google
                    AdSense and earn the money for a new license?
                    It is easy to set up, doesn't cost you a dime and
                    works great if you know what you are doing.

Just a suggestion.
                    AdsenseExperts.com - The Professional Adsense Publisher Network

DFPTutorial.com - Understanding the DFP Small Business Ad Server

Comment

Originally posted by StarBuG View Post
                      Why not monetize your current forum with Google
                      AdSense and earn the money for a new license?
                      It is easy to set up, doesn't cost you a dime and
                      works great if you know what you are doing.

Just a suggestion.
                      \

Depends once again on the site niche. Not all niche pay well.

Comment

you can do a few things

a. get a 2nd hand license for half the price of new
                        b. pay the 30 or 50$ upgrade fee so you can use the latest version
                        c. go opensource so you don't have to worry about money
                        -- Web Developer for hire
                        ---Online Marketing Tools and Articles

Comment

What happens if your license expires?

Comment

Originally posted by YourDestiny View Post
                            What happens if your license expires?
                            vB4 licenses never expire.

If you have a vB3 license.. and it expires. Than you can only download the latest software UP TO the date your license expired.

So if you had access to vB3.8.6 and your license expired 6 months ago. Then you would NOT have access to vB 3.8.7.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark.B View Post
                              I'd love a Ferrari but I can't afford one, so I just have to accept that I can't have one.

It doesn't mean Ferraris are rubbish, it just means I don't have enough money to buy one.
                              Poppy-cock! vBulletin 4 is not comparable to any Ferrari, not in the world of community forum software. Far, far from it.

It's actually quite slow running, or haven't you noticed that when compared against other community software like IPB 3 and XenForo on page loading times?
                              Last edited by MRGTB; Fri 10 Dec '10, 2:20pm.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X