Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who is Vbullitin's Closest Rivals In Forum Software?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MK_1
    replied
    Woltlab is also a nice forum script.

Leave a comment:

• MRGTB
    replied
    PHPBB has always been popular with young people, mainly because of the number of fantastic free themes they can use with it. And it's always getting lots of online game based themes done for it also.

Leave a comment:

• ryan1918
    replied
    I would have to say PHPBB as it's the most wide used and longest running forum software around.

Leave a comment:

• 1337WuLF
    replied
    I reckon that IPB would be next to VBullitin.

Leave a comment:

• beishe8
    replied
    Originally posted by jumbo-mumbo View Post
    vbulletin is on top right now.. no doubt ..
    Faith...

Leave a comment:

• MRGTB
    replied
    The future KING is - Prince Harry.

Leave a comment:

• jumbo-mumbo
    replied
    vbulletin is on top right now.. no doubt .. and ATM ipb is close to vbulletin; BUT Xenforo is the future king

Leave a comment:

• MRGTB
    replied
    Don't write off some of the free boards. After all, a forums main purpose is just for discussion and some free boards do that "simple task" very well. Feature wise your correct of course, but a million features don't necessarily make for a successful community.

Leave a comment:

• core-boy
    replied
    vBulletin is the king of forums but theres also Invision Power Board and xenForo

Leave a comment:

• Blue-inc
    replied
    I would say free forum software or perhaps warez.

Though commercially, Invision Power Board is their main competitors. IMHO.

Leave a comment:

• Alfa1
    replied
    Originally posted by ManagerJosh View Post
    I keep hearing that xenForo is missing too many "basic" functions, but I've yet to hear what these basic functions are...
    Functionality like reputation, tags and groups is essential when you are running a board that has tens of thousands of entries related to this basic functionality. But I am repeating myself, as I have posted this in several related threads. While the 'like' system is a one click function, which is very good for UX, it doesn't cut it for evaluating post quality. And thats what my site is built around.

Leave a comment:

• JamieinNH
    replied
    Originally posted by MRGTB View Post
    Keep in mind, I don't think XenForo is really trying to compete against vBulletin 4 (feature for feature). XenForo seem more interested in keeping the software fast running and without bloat. That does appear from what I've read, to be Kier's main ideology behind XenForo. I don't think we'll ever see XenForo being developed to try and match all the same features as vB4 or IPB 3.

I think they are heading down a different road with it.
    Where's my "Like" button...

I for one am glad it's 'lacking' in bloat and focusing on what forums are suppose to be...

Jamie

Leave a comment:

• MRGTB
    replied
    Originally posted by ragtek View Post
    Basic features:
    • Thread rating (very important for my boards)
    • Buddys/ Friends (ok there are follower but IMHO it isn't the same)
    • no ignore function IMHO very important
    • "automatic Style updates" after a upgrade
    • cli updatescript (a great feature!!! )
    • there's no "cache" like in vB4 (that's the second thing, i'm really loving in vB4^^ )
    • also i don't like, how the add-on export is working (you're getting always the masterphrase)

And no basic fuction, but a really big problem: the missing add-ons
    But were getting offtopic here^^
    Keep in mind, I don't think XenForo is really trying to compete against vBulletin 4 (feature for feature). XenForo seem more interested in keeping the software fast running and without bloat. That does appear from what I've read, to be Kier's main ideology behind XenForo. I don't think we'll ever see XenForo being developed to try and match all the same features as vB4 or IPB 3.

I think they are heading down a different road with it.
    Last edited by MRGTB; Fri 24 Dec '10, 3:24pm.

Leave a comment:

• Reeve of Shinra
    replied
    I think IPB has taken the lead --- very stable software, feature rich, and add-on's that actually work right.

Leave a comment:

• Removed-836727
    replied
    Originally posted by ManagerJosh View Post
    I keep hearing that xenForo is missing too many "basic" functions, but I've yet to hear what these basic functions are...
    Basic features:
    • Thread rating (very important for my boards)
    • Buddys/ Friends (ok there are follower but IMHO it isn't the same)
    • no ignore function IMHO very important
    • "automatic Style updates" after a upgrade
    • cli updatescript (a great feature!!! )
    • there's no "cache" like in vB4 (that's the second thing, i'm really loving in vB4^^ )
    • also i don't like, how the add-on export is working (you're getting always the masterphrase)
    • calendar
    • profile fields
    • thread prefix

And no basic fuction, but a really big problem: the missing add-ons
    But were getting offtopic here^^
    Last edited by Removed-836727; Sun 26 Dec '10, 5:24am.

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X