Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who is Vbullitin's Closest Rivals In Forum Software?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    ATM it'S IPB and vB 3.8

    XenForo is missing too many basic functions ATM.

    BUT

    They have a great & modern framework, which makes it really easy, to extend it and build add-ons for it.
    Also it's IMHO much easier for the core-developers, to extend very fast the core functions, so once the whole lawsuite sh*t is over and they have enough money for more workers, it could blast all the other rivals away^^

    My .02$

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by ragtek View Post
      ... it's IMHO much easier for the core-developers, to extend very fast the core functions, so once the whole lawsuite sh*t is over and they have enough money for more workers, it could blast all the other rivals away^^

      My .02$
      In reality that isnt going to happen until they have a suite comparable to vb and ipb. However, once they have then I really feel it will be something very special.

      Comment


      • #18
        I believe that the vb best of free forums to contain all of the features

        Comment


        • #19
          Vanilla, phorum, phpBB, MyBB. invasion, and hundreds more. I say vBulletin is still the best

          Comment


          • #20
            IPB is the closest rival I'd say right now. But XenForo will become more of a serious contender given time, right now it's lacks a little too much. That's if you want all the features that vBulletin offers - and that's your thing?

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by ragtek View Post
              ATM it'S IPB and vB 3.8

              XenForo is missing too many basic functions ATM.

              BUT

              They have a great & modern framework, which makes it really easy, to extend it and build add-ons for it.
              Also it's IMHO much easier for the core-developers, to extend very fast the core functions, so once the whole lawsuite sh*t is over and they have enough money for more workers, it could blast all the other rivals away^^

              My .02$
              I keep hearing that xenForo is missing too many "basic" functions, but I've yet to hear what these basic functions are...
              ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
              Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by ManagerJosh View Post
                I keep hearing that xenForo is missing too many "basic" functions, but I've yet to hear what these basic functions are...
                Basic features:
                • Thread rating (very important for my boards)
                • Buddys/ Friends (ok there are follower but IMHO it isn't the same)
                • no ignore function IMHO very important
                • "automatic Style updates" after a upgrade
                • cli updatescript (a great feature!!! )
                • there's no "cache" like in vB4 (that's the second thing, i'm really loving in vB4^^ )
                • also i don't like, how the add-on export is working (you're getting always the masterphrase)
                • calendar
                • profile fields
                • thread prefix

                And no basic fuction, but a really big problem: the missing add-ons
                But were getting offtopic here^^
                Last edited by Removed-836727; Sun 26 Dec '10, 5:24am.

                Comment


                • #23
                  I think IPB has taken the lead --- very stable software, feature rich, and add-on's that actually work right.
                  Plan, Do, Check, Act!

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by ragtek View Post
                    Basic features:
                    • Thread rating (very important for my boards)
                    • Buddys/ Friends (ok there are follower but IMHO it isn't the same)
                    • no ignore function IMHO very important
                    • "automatic Style updates" after a upgrade
                    • cli updatescript (a great feature!!! )
                    • there's no "cache" like in vB4 (that's the second thing, i'm really loving in vB4^^ )
                    • also i don't like, how the add-on export is working (you're getting always the masterphrase)


                    And no basic fuction, but a really big problem: the missing add-ons
                    But were getting offtopic here^^
                    Keep in mind, I don't think XenForo is really trying to compete against vBulletin 4 (feature for feature). XenForo seem more interested in keeping the software fast running and without bloat. That does appear from what I've read, to be Kier's main ideology behind XenForo. I don't think we'll ever see XenForo being developed to try and match all the same features as vB4 or IPB 3.

                    I think they are heading down a different road with it.
                    Last edited by MRGTB; Fri 24 Dec '10, 3:24pm.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by MRGTB View Post
                      Keep in mind, I don't think XenForo is really trying to compete against vBulletin 4 (feature for feature). XenForo seem more interested in keeping the software fast running and without bloat. That does appear from what I've read, to be Kier's main ideology behind XenForo. I don't think we'll ever see XenForo being developed to try and match all the same features as vB4 or IPB 3.

                      I think they are heading down a different road with it.
                      Where's my "Like" button...

                      I for one am glad it's 'lacking' in bloat and focusing on what forums are suppose to be...

                      Jamie

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by ManagerJosh View Post
                        I keep hearing that xenForo is missing too many "basic" functions, but I've yet to hear what these basic functions are...
                        Functionality like reputation, tags and groups is essential when you are running a board that has tens of thousands of entries related to this basic functionality. But I am repeating myself, as I have posted this in several related threads. While the 'like' system is a one click function, which is very good for UX, it doesn't cut it for evaluating post quality. And thats what my site is built around.
                        I buy 420 forums

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          I would say free forum software or perhaps warez.

                          Though commercially, Invision Power Board is their main competitors. IMHO.
                          Armored Vehicles . My Blog . Obama 2012 .

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            vBulletin is the king of forums but theres also Invision Power Board and xenForo

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Don't write off some of the free boards. After all, a forums main purpose is just for discussion and some free boards do that "simple task" very well. Feature wise your correct of course, but a million features don't necessarily make for a successful community.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                vbulletin is on top right now.. no doubt .. and ATM ipb is close to vbulletin; BUT Xenforo is the future king

                                Comment

                                widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X