X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Some Networking Help

Right...here goes :S

I have two pcs, a laptop and a desktop.

The Desktop is running Windows 2000, the Laptop is running Windows XP Home Edition and they are connected via a 3m Crossover cable.

The network runs for about 30 minutes then stops working totally, but when its working its really slow.

Now I know it isnt the NIC on the laptop, so its either the PC's NIC or a setting somewhere - and the PC is also freezing up and BSOD-ing.

This is an example of when it bodges up (see attachment)

Anyone got any ideas for poor old Nicko whos been playing with this for 2 days now?

Cheers in Advance

ah grasshoppa!

are you using TCP/IP or *gasp* NetBEUI . when you loose connectivity try pinging each machine from the other one to see if you have basic IP connectivity.

Comment

im using TCP/IP

And when I loose connection I cant ping the laptop from the pc and visa versa

Comment

www.practicallynetworked.com check the troubleshooting pages. They're gods over there.

Comment

Oh...and make sure your cables are all good....and plugged in and all that too.

Comment

replace cross-over cable. replace NIC.

Comment

Originally posted by Jakeman
              replace cross-over cable. replace NIC.
              Taking them both back to the store tomorrow because as soon as I remove the NIC the pc stops crashing :S

Comment

can you post the network settings your using , but it does sound like a bad NIC or cable..
                MCSE, MVP, CCIE
                Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

Originally posted by Asendin
                  can you post the network settings your using , but it does sound like a bad NIC or cable..
                  Im in bed on the laptop atm hehe - i'll post them first thing in the morning

Thanks for your help everyone

Comment

Just an update, I took my NIC back and they replaced it...wayhey all is fine.

Thanks for your help everyone!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X