Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Other Alternatives - What are you going to do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• socceronly
    replied
    Why isn't there a stay put & drink heavily option?

Leave a comment:

• fortify
    replied
    Drink heavily then switch to IPB

Leave a comment:

• jrexgis
    replied
    would go for the get drunk thingy cheers guys

Leave a comment:

• KW802
    replied
    Originally posted by Alfa1 View Post
    I want a 'open another stupid poll' option in this poll.
    I think that would come as a result of the "Drink Heavily" option.

Leave a comment:

• Alfa1
    replied
    I want a 'open another stupid poll' option in this poll.

Leave a comment:

• Ramsesx
    replied
    Originally posted by KW802 View Post
    Why do some people continue to read & respond to threads that they supposedly don't care about? Find the answer to one and you'll have your answer to the other.
    Why do some people reply to posts that were useless?
    Originally posted by Ramsesx
    Why do some people reply to posts that were useless?
    And why do some people reply to their own postings? Why do we all write and reply useless things? We should try to go deeper into those serious questions. Shouldn't we?

But to answer the topic "What are you going to do?"
    I go sleep now (1.33 am). Good night.

Leave a comment:

• Apokalupsis
    replied
    Originally posted by Regs View Post
    So you don't see anything progressive in the roadmaps that Fabian has posted to date?

You find that items marked for future releases being moved into earlier releases to be a cause for concern?

I'll argue that for years, this product was slow in adding new features and more importantly, even slower to improve upon features they did add.
    Like what specifically? I've read the "What's to come..." threads. What about the updates are progressive in your view? Many of that which is mentioned is or has been made available via 3rd party mod IMO. I'm just not impressed w/ the line-up of features, nothing really sticks out and it seems like vb is simply trying to catch up to the ideas that competitors have. The entire structure just seems archaic to me.

I'm not going to promote another forum software product, but there is one in particular that just stands out in its forward thinking development. It seems designed w/ the future of communities in mind. I am not alone in this, there are plenty of threads/posts that believe the same. IB isn't known for being progressive. They are merely a "buy-sell" company. The vision that IB has as a company is completely different than that of Jelsoft's. And it was J's vision that made vb so popular. I think that IB is riding on the coattails of the existing success of vb, but that will only get them so far. To be sustainable, the product must be visionary, unique, meet the needs of potential clients. There are other companies who have taken this approach substantially better. VB is not the product it used to be. In fact, I don't think it should be called vb at all. It used to be the reigning champion for years when it came to forum software. I see it as a failing product. I'm really hoping the devs wake up and go back to what made vb so great...but I don't think that is possible under the new leadership. Everything we know about IB (there are numerous news articles) indicate that it is not about forward thinking and customer relations, it is short-term thinking...it is "How can we squeeze the most money out of this product in the shortest amount of time possible before we sell it?"?

There will always be those who think vb is great and/or IB can do no wrong. I championed vb for many years and didn't even think about looking at other forum alternatives. But its reputation is not what it once was, and there is a reason for that. The direction it is headed is, IMHO, going to be the death of the product we know as vb (in as far as being a legitimate contender on the scene).

Leave a comment:

• KW802
    replied
    Originally posted by Tormod View Post
    Why cannot people that want to leave Do that? All this insane threads are not very serious.
    Why do some people continue to read & respond to threads that they supposedly don't care about? Find the answer to one and you'll have your answer to the other.

Leave a comment:

• Tormod
    replied
    Why cannot people that want to leave Do that? All this insane threads are not very serious.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Mikey
    replied
    Drink Heavily

Leave a comment:

• KW802
    replied
    No option for "Continue running vB on my current sites but pick up a few XF licenses to play around with like I did with IPB to see if vB is still the best choice for me." so I'll have go with the Drink Heavily option (birch beer, mind you).

Leave a comment:

• steven s
    replied
    Originally posted by CvP View Post
    Click image for larger version

Name:	smiley-eatdrink009.gif
Views:	1
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	3680307*like*

Leave a comment:

• Regs
    replied
    So you don't see anything progressive in the roadmaps that Fabian has posted to date?

You find that items marked for future releases being moved into earlier releases to be a cause for concern?

I'll argue that for years, this product was slow in adding new features and more importantly, even slower to improve upon features they did add.

Leave a comment:

• Apokalupsis
    replied
    What is being developed is taking an extraordinary amount of time and it is playing catch-up to what is already out there. That is, they aren't necessarily progressive features. Take the user profile editing for example. This idea has been around for quite a while and was done on 3.8. There were mods that did this years ago. Another major improvement coming out is the install script. Not exactly ground breaking and again, it's playing "catch-up". vb4 was released with a plethora of bugs and security issues. Updates being pushed out have been trying to resolve issues that shouldn't have been there to begin with.

Sure...vb4 will continue to be "developed"...but at the rate and the focus of which it is currently being developed, the value/meaning behind it has all but died which is why the vb community has been looking for alternatives to their forum/site needs. As someone said previously, vb is being developed by managers now it seems...not developers.

Leave a comment:

• Regs
    replied
    Dying development?

Care to explain on what you base this statement on?

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X