XenForo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XenForo?

Did some searching and did not find a thread about my question.

I want to know, what makes XenForo so special? I have seen a lot of people saying they are switching to XenForo, so I want to know why?

In my personal opinion, after browsing their website, it's not worth the $140 they are asking for. What makes them different than brands currently out that have most of the bugs (I guess VB doesn't fall into this category) worked out?

Thanks for humoring me on this subject. If this type of content is not allowed, I am sorry for posting.
    ReaxtionStudios.com

XenForo is created by two former vBulletin developers. I think, this post it better suited on their site, or alternatively, in this thread: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...ove-to-Xenforo.
    Shamil Nunhuck, - Radon Systems Ltd.
    VPS + Dedicated Server Hosting and Management
    vBulletin Hosting and Services
    Server / Website Consultation

Comment

Originally posted by Shamil. View Post
      XenForo is created by two former vBulletin developers. I think, this post it better suited on their site, or alternatively, in this thread: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...ove-to-Xenforo.
      Thanks. This thread is not about moving to Xen. Instead, I want to know what makes it different than other forum solutions currently out?
      ReaxtionStudios.com

Comment

Originally posted by NittoMOD View Post
        Thanks. This thread is not about moving to Xen. Instead, I want to know what makes it different than other forum solutions currently out?
        Visit http://www.xenforo.com/community and see for yourself, the differences between vBulletin and XenForo, front end. Their "Have you seen" forum may be your starting point.

Comment

Since I don't believe there is a feature list, it's hard to compare. vB and IPB as well as free software packages certainly have more features than xenforo.
          ...steven
          www.318ti.org (vB3.8) | www.nccbmwcca.org (vB4.2)
          bmwcca.org/forum | m135i.net
          "I tried to clean this up but this thread is beyond redemption." - Steve Machol

Comment

@Shamil - I am not saying they are not worth looking into. After watching some of their vids, they obviously know what they are doing. But, this does bring up the point, what is going to make me switch from VB, IPB, SMF (does SMF really count?), etc... to their solution?
            ReaxtionStudios.com

Comment

Isn't that question better asked in their forum?
              I mean, the mods here have been good enough to leave threads about xenforo open. Why start another one in their sandbox?
              @Shamil - I am not saying they are not worth looking into. After watching some of their vids, they obviously know what they are doing. But, this does bring up the point, what is going to make me switch from VB, IPB, SMF (does SMF really count?), etc... to their solution?
              ...steven
              www.318ti.org (vB3.8) | www.nccbmwcca.org (vB4.2)
              bmwcca.org/forum | m135i.net
              "I tried to clean this up but this thread is beyond redemption." - Steve Machol

Comment

For me, well, for one of my sites, I'll be transferring to XenForo, as it's more of a social platform. Though there are missing features, it's fast, and it's built of new technology available in PHP and MySQL. Additionally, it's an Model-View-Controller application using a good MVC framework.

vBulletin is somewhat of a mess. It's a cross between the MVC framework and some random coding stuff. XenForo uses a rapid framework, Zend Framework, targeted at rapid development of web applications, unlike vBulletin, hence XenForo have the ability to access and use techniques for various data-objects and models. I believe that the bulk of issues are caused by vBulletin / Internet Brand's carelessness towards to the development, as a direct result of corporate greed and mismanagement.
                Last edited by Shamil.; Sat 9 Apr '11, 5:22am.

Comment

Originally posted by steven s View Post
                  Isn't that question better asked in their forum?
                  I mean, the mods here have been good enough to leave threads about xenforo open. Why start another one in their sandbox?
                  I guess, but then I would be posting a VB thread in the XF forums...

Originally posted by Shamil. View Post
                  For me, well, for one of my sites, I'll be transferring to XenForo, as it's more of a social platform. Though there are missing features, it's fast, and it's built of new technology available in PHP and MySQL. Additionally, it's an Model-View-Controller application using a good MVC framework.

I do agree they are using much better technology than currently employed by VB. I guess it's about breaking that mindset of VB or IPB.
                  ReaxtionStudios.com

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X