Freedom of Speech

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freedom of Speech

This was brought up in a thread recently "can chat about anything = freedom of speech". I don't want to discuss that, however I get this on my board a lot.

Especially when people are trying to insult each other, motorsport drivers or series etc, invariably when these posts are removed they cry "freedom of speech", which is a pain as everyone knows that has nothing to do with posts on a bulletin board.

Do others have this problem or is it just something more to do with motorsport sites!!
    Motorsport Forums

I have had this problem a few times.

There are just some people that cant accept another "point of view" regardless of the truth !
    Email: [email protected]
    Site: Under Construction

Comment

I havea few @$$holes on my forum who bring this up every time I close a thread. I tell them the same thing I said here. Freedom of speech applies only to governmental agencies attempting to suppress the speech of the citizenry. I usually add that if they don't like it they can take their happy @$$es elseswhere.
      Webmaster:
      @forumz

Comment

Originally posted by Kaizen
        the truth !
        Oh yes! Thats another one I get-
        "What I posted was nothing but the truth!"

Which may be the case, but was also insulting and purely to cause upset
        Motorsport Forums

Comment

You are not alone Mark.

Comment

Just tell them once they start paying for the server and software they can talk about anything they want .

Comment

Originally posted by Goldfinger
              Just tell them once they start paying for the server and software they can talk about anything they want .

Now thats paying to speak
              Hey thats an idea...
              setup a forum and for a monthly fee through paypal they can speak about anything they like..
              Last edited by upperking; Mon 24 Dec '01, 6:57am.

Comment

The way I see it, it is your site to moderate and you choose what content you wish to offer to the public. They agree to a lot of stuff in the Terms and Conditions when they sign up - which I think is more than fair. People seem to forget about their agreement though.
                HP DL-380 G6, 2x E5520, 28GB RAM, 4x300GB SAS, VMWare ESXi
                -
                Unreal Tournament : Assault forums - irc://irc.utassault.net:6667 -

Comment

I usually ignore the thread or close it and tell them to continue "it" privately.

Then they can have all the speech they want
                  Email: [email protected]
                  Site: Under Construction

Comment

I say this

The First Admenmendment (Only in the US as far as I know that goes to this degree, correct me if I am wrong)

"Your rights stop when it starts to interfere with someone elses rights"

Now as far as the rights only pertaining to goverment angencoes that is true in some parts, but just cause ur part of a private thing, doesnt mean your rights dissappear, but tell them this almost, dont like the forum then leave...

Comment

you should hire a new team of attorneys, because the ones you have don't keep up on current law and precedents.
                      Webmaster:
                      @forumz

Comment

Originally posted by jackd
                        Anyway, after speaking with my team of attorneys... Those whom post do have a right to freedom of speech.
                        They have a right to say whatever you allow them to say. I don't have to let anyone say anything on my board that I don't want them saying - I have the right to delete any post, as specified in the TOS that you agree to when you sign up at my board. The default TOS that comes with vB says that you as the admin have the right to remove any post you wish for any reason.

You seem to be agreeing with us but not realizing it. What you said is basically "x posted this, y didn't like it, but I let it stay anyway", which is basically what we are saying only in reverse - we're saying that the end user doesn't have the right to post anything we don't like, but conversely, we have the right to let anything be posted that the end user doesn't like.

Comment

invariably when these posts are removed they cry "freedom of speech", which is a pain as everyone knows that has nothing to do with posts on a bulletin board
                          Lets not forget that "Freedom of Speech" only applies in the USofA. The Internet is not the USA, so it doesn't apply here.

Comment

near future law suits breakout for internet speach rights..

Comment

My board is totally unmoderated so I don't have to deal with this dilemma. Don't you feel jealous?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X