Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Web hosting: is unlimited bandwidth and storage real?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Web hosting: is unlimited bandwidth and storage real?

I'm about to get web hosting for a site, and I see lunarpages and hostgator advertising their plans with unlimited bandwidth and storage.

Any know if this is for real? Or are there any pitfalls and strings attached? It's just hard to believe on a shared host.

No, its physcially impossible.

Comment

Why do they advertise like that? Isn't that illegal?

Comment

I haven't taken a look at their TOS, but it's most likely that they also have something along the lines of a "fair use policy" which prevents customers from using the service "unfairly".

You start pulling in alot of traffic and use alot of bandwidth and it won't be long before they're telling you to upgrade to a dedicated server.
        Also known as Jack12 on vbulletin.org

Comment

Originally posted by EPCZ_Jack View Post
          I haven't taken a look at their TOS, but it's most likely that they also have something along the lines of a "fair use policy" which prevents customers from using the service "unfairly".

You start pulling in alot of traffic and use alot of bandwidth and it won't be long before they're telling you to upgrade to a dedicated server.

Correct.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

Originally posted by pk698 View Post
            I'm about to get web hosting for a site, and I see lunarpages and hostgator advertising their plans with unlimited bandwidth and storage.

Any know if this is for real? Or are there any pitfalls and strings attached? It's just hard to believe on a shared host.
            Hostgator doesn't limit disk space and data transfer amount on the shared.
            that doesn't mean you can use "unlimited" because the servers are on 100mbps uncapped and they are shared amount a few clients like you.
            so you can use as much as you like. you usually wont get more than 10mbps anyways. <-- this is the catch.

also, hostgator has some strict CPU/Memory restriction on shared hosts.

User may not:
            1) Use 25% or more of system resources for longer then 90 seconds. There are numerous activities that could cause such problems; these include: CGI scripts, FTP, PHP, HTTP, etc.
            2) Run stand-alone, unattended server-side processes at any point in time on the server. This includes any and all daemons, such as IRCD.
            3) Run any type of web spider or indexer (including Google Cash / AdSpy) on shared servers.
            4) Run any software that interfaces with an IRC (Internet Relay Chat) network.
            5) Run any bit torrent application, tracker, or client. You may link to legal torrents off-site, but may not host or store them on our shared servers.
            6) Participate in any file-sharing/peer-to-peer activities
            7) Run any gaming servers such as counter-strike, half-life, battlefield1942, etc
            8) Run cron entries with intervals of less than 15 minutes.
            9) Run any MySQL queries longer than 15 seconds. MySQL tables should be indexed appropriately.

Comment

Yep... its all crap. Better off to find a host with limits, so atleast you know the limits you are purchasing, and there not being hidden from you like cvp mentioned above.

Comment

Originally posted by anthonyparsons View Post
                Yep... its all crap. Better off to find a host with limits, so atleast you know the limits you are purchasing, and there not being hidden from you like cvp mentioned above.
                Thanks for calling my web services crap -___-;
                ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by ManagerJosh View Post
                  Thanks for calling my web services crap -___-;
                  They are actually giving a pretty good service without the above limitations.
                  (Well,add one more: cannot use SSH for the database)

Comment

Hostgator also sets the max db connections at 25 on shared accounts, which is very low.
                    vBulletin - Sometimes, I'm just like, Wow, and then I'm like, Whoa, and then I'm like, Damn.

vBulletin.org's ol' Moderator

I have a lifetime terrorist hunting permit - #091101

chmod a+x /bin/laden -- Allows anyone the permission to execute /bin/laden

Comment

Originally posted by beishe8 View Post
                      They are actually giving a pretty good service without the above limitations.
                      (Well,add one more: cannot use SSH for the database)
                      Who is "they" ?
                      ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                      Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

I lol every time I read a sales pitch with "unlimited bandwidth"
                        more like, unlimited "oversellers"
                        -- Web Developer for hire
                        ---Online Marketing Tools and Articles

Comment

Originally posted by ManagerJosh View Post
                          Who is "they" ?
                          Sorry.
                          I meant Hostgator

Comment

Originally posted by beishe8 View Post
                            Sorry.
                            I meant Hostgator

They are pretty aggressive in trying to upsell customers to larger packages if your site gets even moderately busy.
                            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                            vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
                            Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
                              They are pretty aggressive in trying to upsell customers to larger packages if your site gets even moderately busy.
                              And also very aggressive on retaining your business when you switch hosting companies. After you switch, then they go into overdrive mode and trying to fix whatever was wrong by pushing the upgrades.
                              vBulletin - Sometimes, I'm just like, Wow, and then I'm like, Whoa, and then I'm like, Damn.

vBulletin.org's ol' Moderator

I have a lifetime terrorist hunting permit - #091101

chmod a+x /bin/laden -- Allows anyone the permission to execute /bin/laden

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X