Survey: How did you find vbulletin ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Survey: How did you find vbulletin ?

Just curious as to how you stumbled across vbulletin and when you purchased it ?

Straight off the invoice LOL
    My purchase date: Fri Jun 23 10:59:55 2000 EST

I first heard of vbulletin a few months back when JimF mentioned it on another forum i frequent. At that time i was seriously looking at UBB as the option for me for my sites. I had been a registered member of over 30 UBBs on the net so was very use to the setup and usage.

I agonised over paying US$199 for UBB so looked around. JimF's mentioning of vbulletin was a life saver and at US$160 . I just ordered my dedicated server at the end of May 2000 and was ready to purchase either UBB vs Vbulletin.

I installed the Lite VB on June 22, 2000 - discussed it with my ezboard members - they liked, I liked, so i purchased it the next day (hours later)

The BEST move ever made ! ... my vb has grown faster than i would of expected and at first i was worried no one would use the new forum

So, what's your story ? How did you become a vbulletin owner ?
    :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
    :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
    :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Well, I was using UBB for I guess 6-9 months or so. I first heard about and saw posts about vBulletin over on scriptkeeper's forums and ubbhackers.com, although I am not sure which post it was that made me check it out. I think I was bored one day.... and stopped by for a visit and was a little surprised to see so many faces here I knew.... I was a lurker for a while, and the more I saw here, the better I liked this as an alternative to UBB, and I was getting more frustrated by InfoPop each day. So I bought a full license to test it out (this was before Lite), did a import, and loved what I saw

-Chris

Comment

This is tough - I really don't know for sure.

I probably saw it in use and was surprised to NOT see the usual Madrona Park/InfoPop notice at the bottom...that alone would have "inspired" me to investigate further, since they look so alike.
      Movie Forums - Now With 28% More Bruce Willis

Comment

Early in the year when some major fights broke out on Infopop's boards, we all began talking about making a SQL version of UBB. Someone eventually then gave a link to a discussion over on an ezboard forum, which was about a mySQL UBB already in development. I remember checking it out, and it even still had the UBB copyrights on it. John was quite actively talking back then, heck even Charles Chapps was quite excited about it though he seems to have returned to Infopop after being sacked (must have been paid more to defect back).

Anyways I lost track of the VBulletin developments after that. I've become more and more frustrated with UBB, but most definitely more so with their support. If someone asks for a quirk to be fixed that annoys their users, their response is to teach them how to use UBB properly. I whinged about that once and especially that their reason for increasing renewal fees by 300% was for support which we didn't want to pay for. Anyways all of a sudden I could no longer post, no explanation and my e-mails of complaint met silence. So I rejoined and had no further problems...

Until last week when I not only objected to them telling someone to teach their users how to use UBB rather than Infopop fix a quirk, but I even provided some source code on how even a 5 year old could fix the problem. Well my account not only got terminated again but my post actually got wiped out...obviously they don't want people seeing evidence of how pathetic they are.

So I figured enough was enough and went looking for this magical SQL product that was in development earlier this year, and I stumble here to discover it has already been finished for some time. Boy am I overwhelmed by how awesome it is and look forward to the next release (the database optimisations are a must have, not switching until that's done) when, if I can sort out of a few outstanding issues, I'm hoping to do the switch...as I said still some outstanding issues which concern me, but I'm hoping I can change as this really does leave UBB for dead.

Man I've dribbled on and haven't even explained why I hate UBB so much...

Comment

Waaayyyy back, when they found Johns VB-Square board on the OTA board

Somewhere along the line I must have decided to stick around
          - Insert viable disclaimer here -

ArtBeast!

Comment

Yeah, I remember that too. There was a post on Scriptkeeper about OpenTopic, and everyone *****ed and moaned. From there (I think it was Kevin from BaseballBoards.com) who made the OTA EZboard. I followed the development of the product they were talking about making; and I wanted to contribute, though my coding at the time wasn't anything substantial. Then somebody posted about John's SQL board, and everyone got all excited. From there I waited until this site was launched, and bought it as soon as it was available.

That's about it...

-jim
            "The dot-com bust has cleared out the carpetbaggers and left the Internet to those who really care about it"
            - Jon Ippolito, new-media curator, Guggenheim Museum

Comment

Well i only started a board about 2 months ago. I spent ages trying to find a decent one. At this point i had never heard of PHP or how easy it was to use. Ok, i had seen it on some e-commerce but thought it mega complicated or something. So my resource for checking was only cgi-resources.com

I cam across boardpower and used that and liked it a lot. Meanwhile loads of the boards i used were talking about changing software. I knew i would never buy UBB so many had complained about it but i could see no alternative. One forum i used a lot, http://www.gossamer-threads.com/scripts/forum changed to wwwthreads a forum system i absolutly hate - i don't think i have come across anything so annoying in my life even if it is a bit faster. So i thought if they can't find anything better then no one can.

Then, http://www.thewebmaster-forums.com changed as did a few other sites that I used. People at boardpower also talked about the idea of a mySQL version and someone mentioned vBulletin. That was when i came here and had a look around. It was only when boardpower had a large security hole and no one seemed to be doing anything to sort it out that i thought commerical was better and bought it without even trying the demo! Now no looking back
              Christopher Padfield
              Web Based Helpdesk
              DeskPRO v3.0.3 Released - Download Demo Now!

Comment

I found out when Charles got booted from Moderating at SK, then they created this other EZboard to talk about other solutions besides OpenTopic. And someone spotted John's forums so he came in and made the script public.
                Jake Lawson
                Owner, Peterborough Web Design & Development: Total Internet Solutions

Comment

I first heard of vB over at SK when it was replaced by ****. Seeing asterisks, I just HAD to find out what that was. Then someone basically got around SK's immature censor and finally, I knew the asterisks stood for "vbulletin".

The php thing turned me off at first though... Since I've never touched php before and to tell you the truth, "php" sounds rather dorky and un-appealing to me. Then I saw they had a footer just like SK, so that turned me off even more... Where was I going to find a BB system that didn't require some link back?

Then I had a look at Ultraboard and almost bought it, but decided to wait some more...

Then about a few weeks ago I visited vB again. And I must admit, it was the new site design that drew me in. This new layout is cool! Much better than what it was before.

Looked over the features, sounded good. Checked out the forum and didn't see stupid "infopop" censoring. Good so far!

Found all the features very nice. The thing that got me to finally whip out my credit card (even though I'd already paid that lame $199 for a ubb license) was the "page 1, 2 ,3 ... last page feature.

So here I am...

Comment

Stumbled across it after 3 yrs of UBB usage over @ UCH site. I HAD to have a mySQL board to support my user/message base.

DVD Plaza -- Not that CC is neither empoyed nor paid by Infopop in anyway...

Comment

Originally posted by Aquamarine
                      I first heard of vB over at SK when it was replaced by ****. Seeing asterisks, I just HAD to find out what that was..
                      LOL, this cracked me up. The best publicity is censorship -- ask the media!

Comment

You know that is very funny, the whole censorship thing over on scriptkeeper..... but actually I think the fact that InfoPop wanted to hide the indentity of a competitor actually peaked my initial interest in vBulletin as well.... funny how that works huh?

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Schreiber
                          You know that is very funny, the whole censorship thing over on scriptkeeper..... but actually I think the fact that InfoPop wanted to hide the indentity of a competitor actually peaked my initial interest in vBulletin as well.... funny how that works huh?
                          hmm yeah funny that... looks like any publicity is good publicity
                          :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
                          :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
                          :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

Wednesday, May 3 2000 was when I saw the light and purchased vBulletin. That was the first best decision I made. The second best decision was purchasing another copy of vBulletin. The third best decision was.....

Comment

Honestly I dont like the way we came about deciding to buy vBulletin.

The regs of the site I work on and I frequented another site that used vBulletin, we moderated the biggest board on that site. That site wanted to go one direction, we wanted to go another - so we split off (and the bad part was the split in the regs, nobody wins something like this)

Myself and the site owner talked and I persuaded him to get vBulletin over the infopop.

When we bought vBulletin I thought we were getting a discussion forum, now I see the future of our website more and more incorporating the power of vBulletin. With numerous writers on our site the biggest pain always has been getting up everyone columns and articles in a timely fashion, and I see vBulletin taking that role away from us in a month or so (as soon as I learn more than I know now, which is a heck of a lot more than last Monday when we installed)

All I can say is that I have fallen in love with this software.

Just under one week of operation on it and we are up to 2550 posts.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X