No announcement yet.

You've got some major competition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

phpMyAdmin is better, but not as good. It doesn't provide any kind of a drop-down box to say what data types are possible, and expects you to remember them (that's why I wanted a nice front-end).

I wonder if there's any sort of a way to convert an Access database to mySQL.

Comment

You could dump it to CSV and then develop a simple CSV parser.. or adapt Chris's at vB.org

Comment

Keep in mind that Mysql may not have a GUI like Access, but you would not want to run a forum on Access no matter what!
        We're Here Forums!
        [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by dcsonic2k
          I wonder if there's any sort of a way to convert an Access database to mySQL.
          http://www.mysql.com/Contrib/access_to_mysql.txt

Comment

Take a look at this board

Looks quite similar to VB. http://www.geocities.com/yapbb_crew/ Opinions?

Comment

I will say one thing - and I could probably do it if I was a coder, but I'm not -- I like the way they 'box' quoted text in messages. Sets it off well. I'd like to be able to do that with vBulletin.

Comment

Mark, I believe that's a fairly simple thing to do. Give me 10 minutes to try it out on my board and I'll see.

Comment

That's easy - just change the "quote" bbtag to use a table or a div with CSS borders etc. I've done it on my site ( http://board.tubescan.com/ ). I edited the PHP cause I wanted to alternate the background of the quote based on the background of the message, but that's not necessary to do for the box itself.

Comment

I do it on my site too. Here's an example:

http://www.optiboard.com/forums/show...tter#post33399
                    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Yup...quite easy. Just go into your admin control panel and click on "modify" in the Custom VB codes area. Then in the vbcode replacement box put in something like:
                      Code:
                       <table border="3" cellpadding="5"><tr><td>><smallfont>quote:</smallfont><hr>{param}<hr></td></tr></table>

Comment

Oh, wow! That easy, eh? Thanks! I'll try it tonight!

I appreciate the reply.

As to the thread topic (I know it's old - found it in a search to try to solve a template problem) I checked out the ikon board site and - vBulletin is still my choice (and I've used UBB from 1998 to last fall, and WWWBoard from late 1996 (?) to June 1998 when I switched to UBB. I cheaked out a lot in that time - almost went with WWWThreads (before UBB bought them) a couple of years back.

I really like vBulletin. Good to Excellent coding. I don't even mind the frequent upgrades. I've not had a problem doing any of them from my first install last August.

Again, though, thanks for the 'clue'!

EDIT ADD: Call me stupid. I've seen that in the admin panel and I looked at it once or twice but that was a while ago and never had reason to add anything. Another neat vBulletin function I had not explored the possibilities of.
                        Last edited by Marc Smith; Wed 10th Apr '02, 3:38pm.

Comment

Originally posted by smachol
                          I do it on my site too. Here's an example:

http://www.optiboard.com/forums/show...tter#post33399
                          OK. I've got:
                          Code:
                          <center><table border="1" cellpadding="4"><tr><td><smallfont>Quote:<hr>{param}</smallfont></td></tr></table></center>
                          I can see how to get rid of the word 'quote:" but what do you do to get the 'look' you got. That is to say, it says: "{username} says:" in bold and then the quoted text in 'regular' font. Is that something I can do in the vB Code screen or did you change one of the php files? I'm a simple guy and don't want to reach the point of hacking the php files.

Edit Add: Never mind. I think... I think I found the template...
                          Last edited by Marc Smith; Wed 10th Apr '02, 4:18pm.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Smith
                            OK. I've got:
                            Code:
                            <center><table border="1" cellpadding="4"><tr><td><smallfont>Quote:<hr>{param}</smallfont></td></tr></table></center>
                            I can see how to get rid of the word 'quote:" but what do you do to get the 'look' you got. That is to say, it says: "{username} says:" in bold and then the quoted text in 'regular' font. Is that something I can do in the vB Code screen or did you change one of the php files? I'm a simple guy and don't want to reach the point of hacking the php files.

Edit Add: Never mind. I think... I think I found the template...
                            That is in the quotereply template, if you didn't find that one. Otherwise it's in the bbcode area (quotereply is the template that is used when you hit the quote button after a post)

Comment

Thanks. I did a search and found it. I hadn't really thought about this much but I never really liked how quotes looked but I only make as minor mods as I dare considering my non-coder background. Forced me to look at a few things I hadn't.

Again, thanks!

Comment

This post is 2 years old

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X