No announcement yet.

You've got some major competition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ikonboard was fine for a free board, but I installed it on my PC here, and found it totally lacking in admin features! It really is not a competitive product to VB at this time.
    We're Here Forums!
    [email protected]

Comment

True but then it is not really competitng per see, it targets a different audience.

I really like the board and it is growing very quickly. Version 2.0 of vbulletin is going to blow any competition away though.
      Christopher Padfield
      Web Based Helpdesk
      DeskPRO v3.0.3 Released - Download Demo Now!

Comment

yes version 2 is gonna be great, the backup feature is a must now if vBulletin could do an import script for ultraboard and phorum you would knock them over for along time
        :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
        :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
        :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

yeah, i am guessing that once v2.0 is out with bugs fixed (rangersfan's promotion will help there!!!) then the next port of call will be some more import scripts.
          Christopher Padfield
          Web Based Helpdesk
          DeskPRO v3.0.3 Released - Download Demo Now!

Comment

The BEST free board out there...

The best FREE board on the net is:

<drum roll please>

Snitz Forums - http://forum.snitz.com

It is much better than any other free board I have seen and as far as features goes it matches if not beats vBulletin

Also it has on of the quickest support forums and best of all its FREE

Comment

...but it's ASP.

Comment

Whats wrong with ASP

Im realtively new to web programming and I want to know whats wrong with ASP?

I am learning it at the moment and I chose it because it seems the easiest to learn. Plus the people at the Snitz Forums help me out a lot with ASP.

So what are the major advantages of PHP over ASP

Also Access seems much easier to use than mySQL

Comment

PHP & ASP are very similar. Someone could probably give you a better point by point comparison that I can.

But the way I look at it is, if you want to be whored by Microsoft, ASP is the way to go. I personally prefer the Open Source community. ASP being a proprietart technology of Microsoft is a big turn off.

-jim
                  "The dot-com bust has cleared out the carpetbaggers and left the Internet to those who really care about it"
                  - Jon Ippolito, new-media curator, Guggenheim Museum

Comment

Re: Whats wrong with ASP

Originally posted by isuru
                    Also Access seems much easier to use than mySQL
                    Well, I happen to think MySQL is very easy to use, but I may be a bit biased

However, Access is a desktop single-user database. Even Microsoft will tell you that. Trying to use Access to power a dynamic web site will never hold up to a large amount of traffic. There are vBulletin sites with 500-700 concurrently active users that are working just fine. You would never see that with Access.

Also, the fact that ASP is a Microsoft-owned technology is a very big turn-off as Jim noted. I'd much rather be running on an Open Source system: Linux, Apache, PHP, MySQL and all.

-Chris

Comment

Also, there are a lot less web hosts that support ASP than those who support PHP.

Comment

Fist of all let me tell you one thing:

I AM NOT a fan of microsoft.

in fact i hate the way they buy out small companies that are doing well just to eliminate competition.

The two things that turned me towards ASP are:

1) the ease of use of ASP and Access. I can understand ASP quite well but Id never get anywhere with perl or PHP its just too hard! Also I downloaded mySQL and I cant figure out how to create tables and stuff. Its much simpler in Access

2) Snitz forums. It is the only decent free forum around.

Comment

You can use ASP with MySql, I think I have seen a few hosts already offering it. If not I think you will start seeing Web Host offering it, at least I hope. Your not limited to MSAccess, MSSQL, Oracle in fact any database is supported thru the Visual Basic and ODBC scripting of ASP, but MySql is cheaper . We have a huge ASP project going on at work with Oracle as the backend. Really slick, but expensive. I wish I knew more about it, but the end results are really , no way could you do what they are doing with PHP and MySql at this point in their development.

I think Snitz forums is coming out with a MySql version, and I think it supports MSSQL now.

Comment

If your server runs IIS then ASP.

If Linux or Apache then PHP. (ASP can be run under Linux but... LOL)

Uncompiled PHP is slightly slower than ASP. But use PHP with compiler and ZEND and you leave ASP in dust.

I had Snitz forums installed (only for testing ) on my W2k server with IIS on our intranet. Runs just fine.
                            Three days ago I finally jawed my boss till his resistance broke down and moved my vB from W2k to Linux (RH 6.2). I (and also he) soon realized the jump in performance. I got some pozitive emails from my users as well.

I also took a look into logs. W2k was beaten. More RAM and CPU time usage.

And yes. Both machines use same hw, both are on same segment, both are on 100MB site.

And please, do not try to compare MS Access with MySQL.

Comment

Originally posted by isuru
                              I downloaded mySQL and I cant figure out how to create tables and stuff. Its much simpler in Access
                              I'd have to agree with that. At this point in time, mySQL has no good front-end like Access. If someone would like to show me one, it would be nice, but I haven't seen anything even remotely close to Access's ease of making tables and databases and all that stuff.

Even though mySQL uses the standard SQL, I just can't seem to remember all the commands and row types and etc....

Comment

Originally posted by dcsonic2k
                                I'd have to agree with that. At this point in time, mySQL has no good front-end like Access.
                                I haven't seen Access's frontend, but what about phpMyAdmin? You can do everything visually.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X