• Show
Clear All

the way the code is organized it looks just like UBB
    Good thing its a free prog, cuase it would never get anywhere for money

Comment

Originally posted by thetakerfan
      the way the code is organized it looks just like UBB
      Good thing its a free prog, cuase it would never get anywhere for money
      Its coding is nowhere near like UBB's in any way. The files aren't organized in the same way if that is what you are implieing(sp) A lot more seperate...

Comment

I'll open it again later
        truthfully, I hardly even looked at it. I opened it up and closed it again almost immediately, and at a very quick glance it looked like UBB to me, but I may open it up again later. Doubt it though

Comment

what about discusware? they have a good bb, but ill stick to Vb for now. http://www.discusware.com
          discus free version is pretty good, as is pro

Comment

I just hate discus!
            We're Here Forums!
            [email protected]

Comment

isn't discus that really ulgy BB with the frames?
              I hate that board

Comment

Yeah, that is the one
                We're Here Forums!
                [email protected]

Comment

ugh, I can't stand it
                  whenever I go to a site and see it, I automatically close it

Comment

yeah, frames and BB systems just aren't really ment to be together
                    - Insert viable disclaimer here -

ArtBeast!

Comment

Biggest site I've ever seen that actually "dares" to use Discuss:

http://www.baseball-links.com

What a shame...
                      Movie Forums - Now With 28% More Bruce Willis

Comment

Originally posted by eva2000
                        well without a UBB import utility i doubt any of the bigger sites would even look at it
                        It now has a boardpower import utility.

They're also working on search, memberlist, mass email, mass private message, and a few more features.

It's really starting to turn into a fairly nice board, even though it'd be better as a PHP program instead of a CGI script.

I think that there's plenty of room for this board to get better, and its only 1.01, while vBulletin is 1.13. vBulletin better get their act together.

Comment

just had to bring this back to ikondiscussion.

The guy who has made it (it has only been out 2 weeks!) is one of the hackers from boardpower. Clearly, got annoyed with that board (developer sort of stopped developing it i guess) so has moved onto his own. I would imagine it will be very good when he gets it fully going, the features he made for boardpower were excellent (the private messaging system especially). Not always sure about the layout though, http://www.ikondiscussion.com i think is a bit messy but perhaos the default templates for the board will be cleaner.

Still i recon given a few months it will be a UBB beater in terms of flat file. Without mySQL doubt it can encroach vbulletin but one thing is for sure it will get new features a hell of a lot quicker than we are getting them here
                          Christopher Padfield
                          Web Based Helpdesk
                          DeskPRO v3.0.3 Released - Download Demo Now!

Comment

He's now working on a UBB Import utility. Even with the current features, IkonBoard could probably kill UBB.

Comment

I hope so. The problem with so many free boards is they seem to get 65% of the way there, look real promising and then just stop. I wonder what will happen here. As the author actually uses the board himself for his website, http://www.ikondiscussion.com instead of just making the board it makes it a lot more likely that it will make it. Maybe an mySQL addition one day and some competition that may kick VBulletin back into releasing stuff!
                              Christopher Padfield
                              Web Based Helpdesk
                              DeskPRO v3.0.3 Released - Download Demo Now!

Comment

Originally posted by TWTCommish
                                True...but I'm sure it will be highly appealing to smaller sites without the necessary cash.
                                <raises hand> As someone with a small site who couldn't justify the cost of vB, I can say Ikonboard was highly appealing. I'd wanted PHP and SQL, but couldn't find a free offering with the feature set I wanted. I decided that given the expected traffic on the board, flat text would be fine.

IB is still growing up, and in some ways I like that. Matt and the team are responsive to users' requests, and I'm waiting eagerly to see how the board develops.

- John

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X