ColdFusion....?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hooper
    Pretty good. I haven't seen a post by you in a while. Glad to see you are around and kicking.
    hehe, glad to know someone cares! I've been pretty busy, what with FanHome, job stuff (and interviews) so I haven't been around the forums I frequent too often. I read a lot of things but haven't had the time to really respond to anything. In any rate, I hope I was able to help.

The CF Forum on SitePointForums (http://www.sitepointforums.com/forum...?forumid=35&s=) has a bunch of stuff regarding CF as well.
    Matt
    Sybase DBA / PHP fanatic
    Sybase v. MySQL v. Oracle | Why I don't like MySQL | Download Sybase TODAY! | Visit DBForums.com!

Comment

I was not trying to pull anything!

You read it wrong! I am not by no means a PHP person, I am just learning. and the code you see is from a tutorial, <--- So if the code is not needed why is it there? Also this is everywhere you go. I see PHP code like this everywhere. Usless code. As a beginner I just want to get to the point, and not worry about showing off my PHP skills by adding extra stuff.

Dont Cry I was unfair about how I presented it. I was just showing him the difference. I have been learning PHP for about a month.<--- Or shall I say trying! I had CF Studio in about two weeks I was well on my way creating dynamic webpages, So there is a better example for you. CF less learning Curve than any other scripting, web app, code out there.

Also you know you will get an error with any code you use it's not avoiable, so lets not take my example to heart it's just an example and not real code.

But I think you know as a CF person that you cannot compare it to ASP, PHP, ETC, as it cost more, the Server cost more, and it's now owned by Macromedia, and who know what they will do to it
      Louis| Techieville.com

Comment

Louis,

Matt does this for fun. Don't take him too seriously either. He is known as the "great debater" around here. If there is an error, he can find it, if there is a problem, he will fix it, if there is a beer, he will drink it......

He is just having fun. He has an excellent conversation once you chat with him a time or two. Very knowledgable also. Now while you are setting there waiting for him to write a response, he is off cracking up.
        Last edited by Hooper; Mon 17 Dec '01, 6:26am.

Comment

Thanks

I know I can see that from his post I just wanted to let him know that this was just my way of giving you some idea of CF. Not to bash anything. I like PHP but it's tuff for me as I am not a programmer so the code thing is a takes a little getting used to.

Have a good Day Matt,Hooper

Louis| Techieville.com

Comment

Re: I was not trying to pull anything!

Originally posted by louisl
            Whoa, hey -- relax now. I took it to read you're trying to show how much 'better' CF is than PHP at a certain thing which is typically the point of such code comparisons (hence the extranious PHP code and leaving out certain CF bits). I apologize if that was not your intention but even re-reading it that is the feel I get.

Hooper, The Great Debater? LOL! I like it! Thanks for clearing that up for him!
            Matt
            Sybase DBA / PHP fanatic
            Sybase v. MySQL v. Oracle | Why I don't like MySQL | Download Sybase TODAY! | Visit DBForums.com!

Comment

Re: Re: I was not trying to pull anything!

Originally posted by MattR
              Hooper, The Great Debater? LOL! I like it! Thanks for clearing that up for him!
              Welcome Matt

Comment

Louis| Techieville.com

Comment

Well, CF IS indeed powerful. I'm working at a Software developement company and I'm mainly PHP/MySQL Programmer. But it's really impressive what optimized querys etc. the guys there are able to construct. I've seen that they had objects and much more in CF 4.5! (There ARE no objects, and just the fact that you can create an object handler etc. with CF is impressive, don't you think?)

PHP is no Comparison, some code's are not as optimized as in CF, but I like the PHP Syntax much more than CF. I watched 4 hours while a guy there was programming CF. After that I went home, installed CF and rebuild my Forum Homesite from PHP with CF and WITHOUT learning everthing. It's really easy. They have stats in a DB around 0.5 until 3 gigs and CF is able to handle that much Informations combined with MSSQL pretty good. I also like the debugging features of CF.

CF IS good, but it isn't even built to be compared to PHP. It's fast and easy to use/handle. Rapid Application Developement (RAD) allows you to handle many Informations and built up all that in such a short time you won't even believe.
                  It won't ever touch PHP. So it won't be better or worse than PHP and it'll never die. Not in the near future.

Comment

"But it's really impressive what optimized querys etc."
                    "They have stats in a DB around 0.5 until 3 gigs and CF is able to handle that much Informations combined with MSSQL pretty good"

The database queries, and database performance, have little or nothing to do with the application language used to issue them.
                    Matt
                    Sybase DBA / PHP fanatic

Comment

Holy old topic batman!
                      forums: pcfx.cc
                      gallery: here

Comment

Originally posted by louisl
                        ColdFusion has been out for a while and as mentioned above put out by Allaire. Coldfusion (CF) is great it is used for the same things that ASP, JSP, PHP, yaday, yaday, yaday, are used for.

As far as PHP being better, I dont think so! The one reson many will say PHP or ASP are better is because it's FREE! but you can accomplish all the same results with any platform.

CF is nice to use and easy to learn. The Down side of CF is the Price other than that it's a great application and used throughoput the internet/intranets today. I have CF Studio an app to create the CFM pages it cost me 2 years ago $395.00, The server version cost much more. Hosting a CF site cost a little more as well. But depending on what you want to use it for, I like the product and it has a big community out there for suppport, and add-on's. Good luck.

Here is an Quick example of the difference between PHP and Coldfusion.

PHP Code for a simple query

<?php

// Connect to the database server
                        $dbcnx = @mysql_connect("http://www.anyone.com", "mysql", "mysql");
                        if (!$dbcnx) {

echo( "Unable to connect to the " .
                        "database server at this time." );
                        exit();
                        }

// Select the jokes database
                        if (! @mysql_select_db("mydb") ) {
                        echo( "Unable to locate the mydb " .
                        "database at this time." );

exit();
                        }
                        ?>

Here is the output for the database:<br>

<?php

$result = @mysql_query("SELECT NewsCopy FROM SiteNews");
                        if (!$result) {

echo("Error performing query: " . mysql_error() .");
                        exit();
                        }
                        // Display the text of each joke in a paragraph
                        while ( $row = mysql_fetch_array($result) ) {
                        echo("<p>" . $row["Newscopy"] . "</p>");
                        }

?>

Here is Coldfusion Code for a simple query
                        <cfquery name="myquery" datasource="mydatasource" dbtype="ODBC">
                        SELECT * FROM MY DB
                        </cfquery>

<cfoutput query="myquery">#mydbinfo here#</cfoutput>
                        PHP Code:
                        <?php
                        $db 
                        mysql_connect('servername''username''password') or die (mysql_error());
                        mysql_select_db('mydb'$db);
                        $results mysql_query("SELECT something FROM table WHERE condition") or die (mysql_error());
                        while(
                        $result mysql_fetch_array($results))
                        {
                         echo 
                        "<p>$result[something]</p>\n";
                        }
                        ?>
                        Doesn't look like such a huge code block to me...

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. X
                          Holy old topic batman!
                          The wages of sin is death
                          http://forums.cpfc.org/

Comment

CF resembles XML a lot.
                            ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                            Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by ManagerJosh
                              CF resembles XML a lot.
                              One's a rubbish app server and the other a markup language?
                              http://forums.cpfc.org/

Comment

Originally posted by Dave#
                                One's a rubbish app server and the other a markup language?
                                Heh...
                                Chen Avinadav
                                Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

גם אני מאוכזב מסיקור תחרות לתור מוטור של NRG הרשת ע"י מעריב

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X