Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trolling / Internet Trolls - What Do You Define As?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trolling / Internet Trolls - What Do You Define As?

I thought it was interesting to ask what others feel is considered trolling / being a troll within an online community, as it was raised in another post where I believe a member was trolling. I tend to occur with the wikipedia definition, which IMO states it pretty clearly, being:

In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking other users into a desired emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion. In addition to the offending poster, the noun “troll” can also refer to the provocative message itself, as in that was an excellent troll you posted. While the term troll and its associated action, trolling, are primarily associated with Internet discourse, media attention in recent years has made such labels highly subjective, with 'trolling' being used to describe many intentionally provocative actions outside of an online context.
    Now I do not doubt that this member is primarily a nice person, though I myself can read that they are disgruntled. (Please don't focus on member specifics, as this is not the intent) So... does this being disgruntled with VB / IB for last years antics constitute trolling topics here with constant negativity or statements to invoke argumentative behaviour? I certainly understand those longer term users being disgruntled if they had loyalty to ex-developers, etc... but should we be stuck in the past with our own beliefs to then push those as opinions, or otherwise, consistently to newer members? Me personally, I like to leave the past in the past and move forward... I am a present / future type person, as the past is to be learnt from, but should not dictate our present directly, more indirectly via experience learnt. Our future is unknown, but out present we choose and make our own decisions on how we feel / treat others.

Does past devotion hinder one's ability at times to review all the facts? I believe so! I think at the worst end of this spectrum, one can them perform trolling behaviour as a result. I know I have either done it, or bordered it on some communities at a point where I had been really pis*ed off by something, but I also had to unfortunately accept when I was wrong, atleast to myself at worst.

So... do you agree with the wikipedia definition or you have your own view that differs?

This thread is thinly disguised trolling imho. You could've let it go but you had to take it out of one thread and into another. The bit where you say "(Please don't focus on member specifics, as this is not the intent)" is curious considering you give a specific example of a specific person you think is trolling on here but cast the thread as if it's just a general question. Also how exactly are you leaving your tiff in the past? By starting a new thread about it?

Comment

Hey punchbowl, there isn't any insinuations from me in this, so please don't put them there when that is not my intent. You are possibly reading too far into it.

I am however curious to discuss trolling behaviour in general, without names, without labelling, without nonsense being raised into this thread. This is not a right or wrong, this is a general chit chat topic about trolling, and that is my only intention, regardless what anyone may develop for themselves as an opinion that is not my intent or purpose off this discussion.

Comment

If you just wanted a general discussion then why have you used a specific user on here as an example?

I don't think either of you are trolls. Trollish, maybe!

Comment

I actually posted a response to that issue in that thread... hence why it has nothing to do with any user, just an open discussion about it, more in relation to those who have no doubt done this from being disgruntled during the takeover. The initial post is a reference, not an accusation.

Comment

Anthony you're a nice guy but this thread here is useless and you know that well, you can't title vBulletin.org's ol' Moderator as a troll. Peace.

Comment

Originally posted by anthonyparsons View Post
              I actually posted a response to that issue in that thread... hence why it has nothing to do with any user, just an open discussion about it, more in relation to those who have no doubt done this from being disgruntled during the takeover. The initial post is a reference, not an accusation.
              Hence you speak from what you do not know. I was a Mod at the org a long time before IB was ever heard of in the vb world. And before most of who is on the team at the org now. Disgruntled has only to do with a gazillion senseless bugs, and nothing more.
              vBulletin - Sometimes, I'm just like, Wow, and then I'm like, Whoa, and then I'm like, Damn.

vBulletin.org's ol' Moderator

I have a lifetime terrorist hunting permit - #091101

chmod a+x /bin/laden -- Allows anyone the permission to execute /bin/laden

Comment

Personally, here is how I conceptualize a troll--you may or may not find it appropriate to your journey of discovery...I hope you're a good sport...

I remember back to the days when I was a young lad going fishing with my father. We used to use a fishing tactic called "trolling". Allow me to describe the technique:

First, a boat, you really need a boat, though I suppose an online forum would do in a pinch. Second you need a fishing pole with line, hook, and bait--some lead weights probably too. What you do is cast your line out the front of the boat and lock the reel with your finger or thumb. The boat is driven backwards so that the stern creates a lot of drag and the boat moves really slowly with the engine running at idle speed--this makes the bait you are dragging behind the boat move really slowly too. The basic idea is to drag a wounded minnow with sharp hook buried in it along the weed-lines where fish are known to be--you're dragging a wounded minnow right in front of their slimy fish noses! Eventually a fish will bite your minnow--the minnow is after all, easy prey. When it does, you release the reel in order to give the fish some line and give it a chance to get a taste and greedily and unsuspectingly suck the hooks into it's mouth. After a pause directly correlated to your patience on that day, you set the hook and the fish gets a little present in the form of a treble hook in the lips. A struggle ensues, the fish usually loses, and the fishermen have dinner.

The finer points of trolling come down to knowing your quarry. What it likes to eat, what gets it agitated enough to strike, and presenting that in a package that is highly likely to get some action, whether for sport, or to fulfill some other need.

You don't live near water do you?

Comment

I take a quote from the initial point of this discussion and ponder: "otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion". Hmmm... relevance? You have 3 years more than I as a license holder, seriously now... can you cut the nonsense, as it is becoming slightly annoying. I have been reading and using the software for that time, and not with my head in the toilet. Being a moderator has little relevance to a bunch off administrators that we all are. Anyone can read the public aspects that have occurred, but this isn't about that, hence the term above, trolling.

This topic is about trolling behaviour, why we do it, what is achieved by it, how do you define it. Can we all now actually have a discussion without any disgruntled members twisting it into something its not. Please?

Comment

I like the analogy understated... nice. Sometimes I wish people would be mature online, instead its like people remove themselves from how they would otherwise talk to someone face to face, and then ensue words that otherwise would not come from their mouth. I guess the problem online is that the words come from our fingers, so its so much easier to just dismiss another, to write things one would not say to them face to face. Me personally, I look forward to the day when text becomes more obsolete online, and its all just video. Whilst there are always going to be those natured people who look for drama, incite drama, I believe it will seriously decrease trolling attributes, misinterpretation, the lacking failure to read emotion compared to visual emotion given via expression, tone and gestures.

Comment

I take a quote from the initial point of this discussion and ponder: "otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion". Hmmm... relevance? You have 3 years more than I as a license holder, seriously now... can you cut the nonsense, as it is becoming slightly annoying. I have been reading and using the software for that time, and not with my head in the toilet. Being a moderator has little relevance to a bunch off administrators that we all are. Anyone can read the public aspects that have occurred, but this isn't about that, hence the term above, trolling.

This topic is about trolling behaviour, why we do it, what is achieved by it, how do you define it. Can we all now actually have a discussion without any disgruntled members twisting it into something its not. Please?
                      Oh. well, I misunderstood. My apologies. I didn't realize it only had to do with disagreeing with you on any subject and being an honest upright citizen to boot, to be considered a troll and stupid. You got me there.
                      vBulletin - Sometimes, I'm just like, Wow, and then I'm like, Whoa, and then I'm like, Damn.

Comment

Boofo, are you just a angry, spiteful person, or am I misreading you?

Comment

Boofo, are you just a angry, spiteful person, or am I misreading you?
                          Nope, not at all. I am one of the most easy-going people you will ever meet. I just take offense at people who think they are better than the masses and resort to calling others names when they are not agreed with or pacified.

Comment

Boofo, that is not what I am doing, and I think you have run off on a misguided tangent off personal opinion. If you want to know what I think, you only need ask or ask for clarification, but assumptions is the typical cause off all online fu*kups. Can you please show me where I called you stupid, which is what you are insinuating?

Can you also outline / point me in the direction, where I have eluded I am better than the masses?

Comment

It appears Boofo is all upset because you posted this in another thread:

I don't know any software developer that supports a beta... ie. stupidity from people who run a beta on a live site when they don't have the ability to correct an issue themselves vs. running a stable release.
                              Boofo replied further on in that thread:

Nope, I made no boo-boo. I will leave it up to you suck-ups to test it and find the bugs as you all seem to want to be a part of the "let's use the users an don't give them crap in return" entity that software developers use to fix the crap they put out. And anthonyparsons, I want you to know that I appreciate your attitude that you don't want to waste your time posting in response to us "stupid" users. It is that much more garbage we don't have to read to get to the good posts.
                              Interesting that Boofo's standards don't allow a general reference of 'stupidity' but pointedly calling others suck-ups is fair game.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X