Good Things For Oz - National Broadband Network

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Things For Oz - National Broadband Network

I knew Telstra had the monopoly on their existing infrastructure, which was rented to other providers, thus really fixing prices to a point in Australia. Now Telstra have finally accepted to be part off the NBN, prices are going to reduce and speed increase, finally what I thought was going to die in the arse now seems a far greater reality... 100mbit connections at the door, as part of the deal will be to remove the copper and cable network, so all Telco's can set their own pricing to compete with equal access to the infrastructure, and no longer being forced to have Telstra's minimum wholesale cost. I like the idea off Telstra being removed as a wholesaler and full competition coming into play for our hard-line network, just as the mobile network has achieved independently.

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2010/06/te...or-11-billion/

Just seems win win to all Australians, especially in major cities which will be the obvious first upgrades... Tasmania nearly done, Melbourne and Sydney CBD's partially completed.

I have quite some friends in .au and they have been in fear for losing their freedom on the internet, not just because of this, but because of net neutrality things, privacy, logging of data, and their traffic limits.

A good step in the right direction that they're considering to move away from the original plan and doing the right thing.

Comment

Yes... our Government have their heart in the right place, but sometimes they wander a little off track with privacy, laws and control. Thankfully that silly Internet censorship didn't make it anywhere, instead common-sense is still prevailing to leave censorship to parents and users who can purchase something like Net Nanny or even download for free the Governments equivalent software to censor specific aspects from children.

I believe we are behind the rest of the world with Internet speeds vs. price, which apparently this should bring us in-line with what has already occurred elsewhere in the world.

The only problem / hurdle that may still exist, is that if the coalition get in at this years end election, then they are saying they will scrap the NBN, which IMHO, would be devastating to Australia as a whole for our future home technology means.

Comment

Originally posted by anthonyparsons View Post
        if the coalition get in at this years end election,
        That election could be postponed till next year.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X