Learning Books Amuse Me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Learning Books Amuse Me

Here I am reading through "learning php, mysql & javascript" by Robin Nixon, and after reaching the end off chapter 6, being a final outline on the basics off PHP, it states,
    This chapter concludes your basic introduction to PHP, and you should now be able to write quite complex programs using the skills you have learned.
    Seriously... how exactly does an author conclude that after reading and learning the basic functions off PHP, one could now just jump right into writing complex programs? Yes, I have a very basic knowledge, yet as I continue to look through the php.net documentation, this book is exactly that... basic, and just because I have read 6 chapters of PHP does not mean I suddenly have some wealth off experience, or even knowledge for that fact, off PHP, its language, uses, real world uses, etc.

Seriously... these authors need to get a grip IMHO and bring themselves back to reality. I envisage it taking me at least two years to have a decent grasp on PHP, MySQL and Javascript, with a lot more reading and a serious load off doing for trial, error and experience. Six chapters and I can begin writing complex programs... phffffff.

Hell, I'm only just starting the 7th and final chapter on PHP now... "Practical PHP" before learning MySQL. Honestly!!!

This is why I avoid reading as much as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by anthonyparsons View Post
      Six chapters and I can begin writing complex programs...
      vBulletin needs you!

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

Bugger them... I'll just writing all sorts off expert code, as apparently I can achieve this standard now after six chapters, and sell it to someone who knows nothing about what it does... I could even sell it to myself, as I wouldn't have a bloody clue what it did as well. Cracking myself up over this...

Comment

Originally posted by anthonyparsons View Post
          I could even sell it to myself
          Friendly advice:don't buy it,Anthony!

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

Put down the book and start coding. Skip a chapter, go to the bits that interest you, try practical examples.

You don't learn to code from books. You learn to code from coding.

Comment

If I were you I would have a look at the various tutorials that are all over the net and practise the things that I learn on the way. Kind of learn how to swim in water and all that

Comment

Yer, thanks Borbole. I am progressively reading through the php.net site in conjunction with learning books. I give myself a couple off years to actually learn... just after reading the specifics in the vbulletin manual for this product alone, then wrapping my head around the actual method in which it uses... all interesting, confusing, but slowly learning.

Comment

There was a great article on this topic on TheBestBooksOf.com ... with a sense of humor. I think you guys may enjoy it.

Comment

Are there practical examples in the book?

I think starting with those and modifying them you will learn a lot.
                    Hmmm. Cheese.

Comment

Really?

It looks to me that the author felt he could draw people in and give them the basics so he could write another book! You should see if people have been writing in for a refund because if you do not get your money's worth you should get your money back. 7 chapters of basics...wow!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X