Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much bandwith does vbulletin eat up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much bandwith does vbulletin eat up?

I'm wanting to know how much bandwith these message boards eat up before I purchase one. So say I get 1,000 visitors a day to my board how much bandwith would that eat up. Considering I'm not hosting any images or junk on it but just the board.

depends on what layout your vb has

+

attachment max size and number of attachments in vB forum

+

+

number of pages per visitor

+

size of each vB page (with gzip compression/without gzip compression)

+

amount and size of email sent from the vB system

i.e. a guestimate

with gzip compression

(1,000 visitors/day x 10 pages per visitor x 25kb per page) = 250,000 kb ~ 0.2384GB/day or 7.39 GB/mo excluding attachments that are viewed and/or number of emails and size of them sent from vB system

without gzip compression you can times it by 2 - 4 fold
    :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
    :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
    :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

Re: How much bandwith does vbulletin eat up?

Originally posted by smutking
      I'm wanting to know how much bandwith these message boards eat up before I purchase one. So say I get 1,000 visitors a day to my board how much bandwith would that eat up. Considering I'm not hosting any images or junk on it but just the board.
      1000 visitors a day + how many pages viewed? + using gzip?, no images? i would guess 2-3GB/month, but im no expert.
      MCSE, MVP, CCIE
      Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

About 20gigs month on gmpowertalk.com . .. 80,000 posts nearly and well over 1 million requests per month, and about 2,000 members with 50 signed on nearly all times and 115 on max. But, I have quite a bit of uploads that are going to soon be killed when I start a new photo service.
        Jason Miller
        http://www.GMPerformanceTuning.com
        http://projecthillside.com
        http://weekendoasis.net
        http://jamz.net

Comment

I eat all your bandwidth

Comment

I'm on a 10gb plan, the highest I get was last month - 9.7gb - which was a bit too close!

I know we have the potential to grow a lot bigger, but I dont think I can afford it
            HP DL-380 G6, 2x E5520, 28GB RAM, 4x300GB SAS, VMWare ESXi
            -
            Unreal Tournament : Assault forums - irc://irc.utassault.net:6667 -

Comment

Originally posted by Martz
              I'm on a 10gb plan, the highest I get was last month - 9.7gb - which was a bit too close!

I know we have the potential to grow a lot bigger, but I dont think I can afford it
              ouch your pushing it.. that was a close one,
              MCSE, MVP, CCIE
              Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

This also depends a lot on the amount of traffic the site sees.

Using Gzip, and VERY small file size VB images (I created them myself, and each is around 500 bytes), with pretty conservative options set, we are currently maxing out a 1 MBPS trunk at peak usage times, and averaging around 300 GB/month bandwidth. Then again, we also have a couple of hundred users online at any given time as an average....so it is all a matter of scale.

Comment

Originally posted by Asendin

ouch your pushing it.. that was a close one,
                  January wasn't much better, we did nearly 12 GB, and the past 2 days its crept up to 620+mb per day (= around 20gb at that rate) :O
                  HP DL-380 G6, 2x E5520, 28GB RAM, 4x300GB SAS, VMWare ESXi
                  -
                  Unreal Tournament : Assault forums - irc://irc.utassault.net:6667 -

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X