How to get people start posting???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to get people start posting???

I'm completely puzzled and confused. My forum has almost 8000 members but I just don't get it why don't they post anything?? I upgrade my forum from ubb about 4 months ago (I think) and since then nothing has change except that the member's keeps getting larger and larger.

Is there something wrong with my forum that I don't know. For the past few months average post is about 10 - 15 posts a day!!

I have just make some changes and added in lots of new forums and I hope it helps.

http://www.certifyexpress.com/forum/

Can anybody give me a sincere answer? I'm going crazy....

I'm logging off now but will be back this evening.
    <sig removed because it violated the forum rules. Two requests were sent but ignored>

I just saw your members list and I see what you mean!

Why dont you mass email all the 0 post holders and ask them to participate in your community? Ask them to tell you the reason they have registered in the first place and why they havent posted anything! should be interesting!

Comment

I'm merely guessing, but I think lots of your members have already taken and passed their exams. Once they do they're not coming back anymore. Not that your site is not great. I think it is. I just think it served their purpose already.

Another reason could be that people trying to pass these exams are busy studying and going to class, or your download material is good enough to keep them really really busy.

My conclusion, your site is not a "leisure" site like many forums are. This plus the fact that certifications are a time-sensitive thing, it's not surprising the membership turnover ratio is high and posting rates are low.

So what to do? Well I say, cross-sell then! Take their profile infor and send them marketing material. Stuff that'll definitely interest them after they get certified or even get a job. What that could be I don't know, but I'm sure it can be worth a lot to potential advertisers.
      Well, there it is.
      - Keeper of the Grove

Comment

wow, 8000 members. My forum has 450 members and has average 250 to 500 posts per day.

Comment

Originally posted by Ikram
          I just saw your members list and I see what you mean!

Why dont you mass email all the 0 post holders and ask them to participate in your community? Ask them to tell you the reason they have registered in the first place and why they havent posted anything! should be interesting!
          I like your idea. I shall try it.

Skeptical, you might be right but my peer sites are doing quite well in terms of forum posting and this doesn't make much sence.

klisis, 250 - 500 posts a day!! I hope you can sent some your your regular member's here is they are studying for IT certs. Would be a very very good help.
          <sig removed because it violated the forum rules. Two requests were sent but ignored>

Comment

Our forums also had around 5000 members after I imported my UBB 6.x members over..yet only a handful of them actually participate..

The most number of member I had ever online is only 22...
            iHu6.com (BETA) - www.ihu6.com

Comment

yeah I would definately use the idea stated above, but I also don't think that the answer is adding a bunch of forums. New users like to see fresh content and a lot of it, they don't want to see forums with 1 or two posts in it.

Just my .02

Comment

I think a large part of your problem is, you have a crap load of forums...

Now, in your situation, you can't really trim any of those. So how about make a new forum main page, that just shows the catagories, and a short description of whats inside them. The have it link to just the specific set of forums. Would make it seem much more friendly....

I think the topics mentioned above, also are a problem, users getting certified, and leaving.. Maybe find some way to make the site more attractive to people who would want to stick around, in your case, not sure on that one... Sorry...

Comment

give them something to talk about and the reason to stay or read the forums.

we have 500 members in the first 3 months and average a lot of posts a day including 900+ unique hits..but we run daily contests, show off our work (design), talk about programming and talk about any news, most people at somethingleet (my forum) feel very comfortable there. For more info on the forum click below

Comment

Wow, what i wouldnt do for 8k members ...

I would think about running a contest, i have the same problem, but on a smaller scale, i have ~1200 members under 3 posts, 700 with no posts. I have decided to run a monthly contest, the way to enter? You must have 5 posts in that calendar month. I hope this will bring the lurking members to a more active state. Good luck with the forum!
                    Bike Forums.net

Comment

Monthly contest, that should be interesting.

Comment

I really like the Community Bulletin hack available over on the vb hack site. It's easy to set up (I'm no hacker, trust me) and my users seem to appreciate it (and those that don't can turn it off)(of course they have to come back to the site to turn it off).

Comment

Yes, I use the Community Bulletin hack, it works quite well getting members back to the forums. Not necessarily posting, but they will come back!

Running a contest that has the requirement of a minmum amount of posts sounds like a good idea. I might try that myself!

Any ideas on how to "run" the contest? Use a thread, forum, or special script?
                          http://www.ironmagazine.com - blog
                          http://www.ironmagazineforums.com - forums
                          http://www.ironmaglabs.com - supplements

Comment

On one forum I admin, we have several people are very good at GFX, so we hold competitions for the site logo every month, we generally get 20 - 60 entries each month.. And keep site intrest up....

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X