vB4 or the door!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vB4 or the door!

Please be patient with me if all this seems dumb, I'm a relative new comer to vB.

I started a small forum last Sept running vB 3.8. It was an uphill struggle to get it the way I wanted it given my experience level. Now it appears I must go to vB 4 at great expense. I don't have the ability or after reading up on this the will to go through with an upgrade. I feel I am being held over a barrel and being forced down a path I don't want to go, either that or shut up shop.

Someone tell me I'm wrong. Please.
    Last edited by Blubble; Mon 24th May '10, 8:29am. Reason: Typo

Unless you were using a leased license, you can keep running your vB3.8 forum the way it is as long as you like. If it was a leased license, you have no choice but to purchase vB4 if you want to continue using the software, still you would not be forced to upgrade to the newest version.

Bottom line is that nobody is being forced into using or upgrading to vB4 although some people may feel that they have been forced to purchase a vB4 license in order to keep using their existing version or get updates to the vB3.8 series.
    If you read it online, it must be true.

Comment

I have a leased licence. I considered buying an outright licence at the time but last Sept no indication was given that leased licences would be phased out so bluntly with a few months. There should be another option.
      Originally posted by JamesAB View Post
      some people may feel that they have been forced to purchase a vB4 license in order to keep using their existing version or get updates to the vB3.8 series.
      I can't see any other way of viewing it. I'm being forced into paying for a licence for an advanced product to continue using a lesser one. Where is the justice in that? There should be another option.

Comment

There's plenty of threads here on this exact same topic, so I won't continue the discussion which always turns into beating a dead horse.

The last thing I will suggest is that you should make a decission before your license expires because they have been going after people who continue to (illegally) use the software after their leased license expired by using pirate reports.

Good luck in whatever you choose.
        If you read it online, it must be true.

Comment

Thanks James. Whatever I do it will be 100% legal. It's just terrible to be forced away from such a good product by such short-sighted marketing.

Comment

You can just keep running your site with 3.8.

After all its an owned license.

Comment

As already said, there is nothing stopping you from just sticking with vB3.8 if your happy to continue using it. Many out there have taken that same path, so you wouldn't be on your own in doing it.

Comment

Originally posted by lolocaust View Post
                I have a leased licence. I considered buying an outright licence at the time but last Sept no indication was given that leased licences would be phased out so bluntly with a few months. There should be another option.

I can't see any other way of viewing it. I'm being forced into paying for a licence for an advanced product to continue using a lesser one. Where is the justice in that? There should be another option.
                You have to buy a new license but you have the option of renewing your current license and staying with the same style that you have got. However, you only have to pay for the license as a once off payment. Meaning you have the license until the end of that version's life.
                Sorry if I am sounding rude here but listen in. How are the staff expected to pay for this software that they are using? They can't pay for it all themselves. So think of it as this we pay for what we use here otherwise as you put it we go elsewhere.
                I had to buy a new license the same as you did. I know you have your issues with it as does everyone, including myself. However, if you honestly love using vBulletin software then why not buy/renew your license?
                You know if you don't like the product.
                Aussiefootyforums

New Site New forum
                Come and talk sports all day long

Comment

Don't get me wrong, I don't begrudge anybody making a living or being paid for their work. Far from it.

I'm just a bit annoyed at the fact that I'm being forced to pay $195 in one go when I was budgeting for €80. My forum is hobby not a business. I have no ads and apart from about 2 posters chipping in a few Euros now and again I'm funding licences and hosting myself. If I could buyout a v3.8 licence at a reasonable rate I wouldn't feel so hard done by. Anyway I suppose I'm just howling at the moon, nothing is going to get any better.

Comment

You could always look for someone selling their license cheaper.
                    UniteTheCows - File Sharing & Digital Media Resource

Comment

You could convert your board to a free software as well. Most have converters.. Like MyBB, phpBB or SMF.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X