what is telnet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what is telnet?

what is telnet and how to use it? I have done a search on the web, but nothing is very informative about it.

First, the definition:
    http://www.pcwebopaedia.com/TERM/T/Telnet.html

Second, how to use it:
    http://www.orst.edu/aw/tutorials/telnet/
    OPEN TECH SUPPORT
    "Tech is our middle name!"

Comment

Thanks for the prompt reply, i'll give them links a go.........

Hmmmmm, i found them links useful, as i actually found telnet program on my pc, but i was unable to login to my servers at:
      ftp.inforcers.f2s.com maybe i doing summat wrong......goinig to try again.......
      Last edited by stealthie2001; Wed 5th Dec '01, 11:35am.

Comment

Originally posted by stealthie2001
        Thanks for the prompt reply, i'll give them links a go.........

Hmmmmm, i found them links useful, as i actually found telnet program on my pc, but i was unable to login to my servers at:
        ftp.inforcers.f2s.com maybe i doing summat wrong......goinig to try again.......
        I dont think that f2s has telnet/ssh access. Therefore you cant connect.
        Email: [email protected]
        Site: Under Construction

Comment

Yeah, i think so too! but they are a good server, with php and mysql. Is telnetting the same as using a ftp program, or is it completly different?

If you are rich then please send me money : PayPal Acct: Email me
          LOL, if i were rich, i would be able to afford the full vbulletin, and not the lite version!
          Last edited by stealthie2001; Wed 5th Dec '01, 12:11pm.

Comment

Yeah, i think so too! but they are a good server, with php and mysql. Is telnetting the same as using a ftp program, or is it completly different?
            Ftp and telnet are completely different. Sure; telnet can do some ftp features but no body uses one or the other (Some guru might ! lol)

LOL, if i were rich, i would be able to afford the full vbulletin, and not the lite version! [/B]
            LOL

Comment

Ahh well, me off to upload phpbb, been nice chatting, byeeeeeeee

Comment

Telnet (and SHH) allow you to login directly the the shell on the server. Once there you can run any of the commands available to you, including: uploading and downloading files, creating and editing new files, moving and copying files, creating direcotrs, changing file permissions, etc. In short, you can do a lot more things with telnet than you can with ftp.

And I'm going to disagree with kaizen. I rarely use ftp, and never use it for managing my own websites. Ftp is just too limited for me.
                Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

I dont mind you disagreeing with my opinion/point.

However, I dont think you are, seen as i put;

(Some guru might ! lol)
                  You are a "guru" and therefore excempt from my point.

*me thinks - i should give up english

Comment

For just uploading and downloading files off the server, an FTP tool works just fine ... you don't need "features" for just simple uploading/downloading/chmodding
                    OPEN TECH SUPPORT
                    "Tech is our middle name!"

Comment

Originally posted by Tolitz
                      For just uploading and downloading files off the server, an FTP tool works just fine ... you don't need "features" for just simple uploading/downloading/chmodding
                      Perhaps, but I find it MUCH easier to upload vbulletin2.zip directly to my server and unzip it there rather than upload all the individual files.

I just find it easier to work from the Unlix/Linux command line than to use ftp, Cpanel, etc.
                      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X