Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much space/bandwidth do your forums take?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much space/bandwidth do your forums take?

I am mostly interested in big ones. I know I have seen a few of you have huge A$$ forums and I was hoping I could get a feel for how much bandwidth and space is required for such large forums. I sorta asked this question in the hosting forum, but I reworded it and posted it here. Plus this forum seems to do better at answering my questions.

Large, as in 80+ users on at a time. Also please give the url of your forums if they aren't already in your sig so I can have a look.

Also, how often are you suppost to prun a forum? I am looking at getting hosted with 1 GB of space and 40GBs of bandwidth. Right now we are pushing 20GBs of bandwidth and 500 MBs of space, but I am deleting two image gallerys which should cut both those numbers back quite a bit.

Thanks for your posts.

I have 5000 members/203,000 posts in only 8 months since opening. Get around 2,000 posts per day and a High of 2800 posts in one day. Never below 100 members online unless its 5am-11am.

With all that said we only use 8-12 gigs of bandwidth per month. And IM still served on a virtual server.
    Oh how sweet and cheap it is.

Rapbattle.com Forums

Comment

Originally posted by Shadowz
      I have 5000 members/203,000 posts in only 8 months since opening. Get around 2,000 posts per day and a High of 2800 posts in one day. Never below 100 members online unless its 5am-11am.

With all that said we only use 8-12 gigs of bandwidth per month. And IM still served on a virtual server.
      Oh how sweet and cheap it is.

Rapbattle.com Forums
      Shadowz you are you hosted with? I checked the forum and it was quite full. I was surprized that you only serve 8 - 12 GBs a month. I didn't notice any smilies or anything like that. Personally I love icons/smilies, (as you can see if you ever go to my site)

Although I didn't think all those smilies would contribute to THAT much more bandwidth.

What about how much space your forums are using? And have you ever pruned your forums yet? If you can answer these questions I would be much appreciative.

Thanks.

Comment

Perhaps this would best be suited in the chit-chat forum, you'd probably get better responses as well
        Hopefully a mod/admin will move it
        Board of the Month: November
        Websites: Pixeljunction , vBulletin.org
        Button Sets: XP and Aqua Button sets! FREE!
        vB Customization: My sig is now vbulletin compliant. Contact me to make yours compliant too!

Comment

I am hosted with f5hosting.com
          Its the best host around.

- I have only pruned once. At 105,000 posts I pruned down too about 40,000 posts. And made my way back up.

- Currently have used 122.46 MB

Take in account, I do not have a Main Page.
          Perhaps that is why my numbers may seem off in comparison with other boards. Because for a few months I was just leaving a text link saying
          "Click here too go to rapbattle forums" with no images on the page. So it was rather small.

Comment

Good idea Sinecure. This isn't really a vB "How Do I?" question. Moving...................
            Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
            Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

My site and boards are one and the same (the site is built off of vBulletin).

Since June, 2001 -- 4866 members, 228.625 posts and 13,980 threads. According to my stats there are about 5-25 thousand people per day visiting. We get up to about 1.2-1.5 gigabytes in throughput a day (this is with zlib, but caching set off because of the user-location tracking stuff).

The site uses three 2U servers. Two Unix and one Windows 2k AS.

Our database is about 360 megs in size currently.

EThan

Comment

500MB on a normal day. 1GB on a busier day. Thank god for zlib or I would be up the creek without a paddle.

Around 3050 members since I opened the forums in late May.

Average of like 60 people on, usual peak of 80, max 196. Not to mention that these people are constantly "refresh" people and suck up all my bandwidth

Comment

Space: around 2.5 gigs of DB (but i run on innodb with index added in searchindex table... so its quite "normal" ^_^)

Bandwidth: dunno exactly, but since we do about 50.000 hits every day, i guess that's somewhere around 80-100 gb monthly bandwidth.

Stats: Registered Members: 4,430 (and just pruned 900 awaiting)
                  Total Threads: 41,539 | Total Posts: 534,056

Users: average 100-130, peak 256.

Ups, forgot to add url

NGX Forum
                  Omero
                  Info: Mad4Games Admin
                  Welcome Home Netgamer

Comment

My 200 members , w00t hehe
                    I usualy use up 1 gig per day, but that includes the rest of my site which is very popular.
                    Board of the Month: November
                    Websites: Pixeljunction , vBulletin.org
                    Button Sets: XP and Aqua Button sets! FREE!
                    vB Customization: My sig is now vbulletin compliant. Contact me to make yours compliant too!

Comment

300,000 posts 4,000 members 30,000 posts a month

Disk space 400 meg
                      Bandwidth 70gig (for whole site Mod_gzip, zlib)
                      http://forums.cpfc.org/

Comment

around 25,000 posts per month, about 6GB with gzip compression on. If you are a mainly text based forum with gzip BW is not normally a problem to be honest.
                        Christopher Padfield
                        Web Based Helpdesk
                        DeskPRO v3.0.3 Released - Download Demo Now!

Comment

About 497,000+ posts, 4300+ members and database size = 630MB

45 - 75GB/month right now
                          :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
                          :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
                          :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

Mine's not quite as large as what you're looking for. So far this month (ie, in 5 days), the board has used 2gb. However, if you'd like to drum up more traffic for me, I'm not going to complain.

Comment

Originally posted by chrispadfield
                              around 25,000 posts per month, about 6GB with gzip compression on.
                              Christopher, what host do you use? That is an amazingly low bandwidth number for those posting stats.

Thanks

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X