This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win xp and win 98 - Dual boot

Ive got windows xp home installed ... what the PROPER way to have it dual booting with win 98 ??

thanks

set up a partion on your harddrive and have half of it for Windows XP and half of it for Windows 98.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldfinger
      set up a partion on your harddrive and have half of it for Windows XP and half of it for Windows 98.
      Yes, but then how can he choose which one to boot to when he switches on his computer. As far as I know it doesnt do it automatically.

You may need an external bootmanager. I dont know where to get these.
      Email: [email protected]
      Site: Under Construction

Comment

Originally posted by Kaizen

Yes, but then how can he choose which one to boot to when he switches on his computer. As far as I know it doesnt do it automatically.

You may need an external bootmanager. I dont know where to get these.
        Yes it (WinXP) does configure this automatically in the boot.ini which will reside on the XP partition. Your main hurdle may be partioning your HD - unless you use some program like partition magic.

Easiest way is to stick in another HD with a single partition, and run the WinXP CD from under Win98. It will ask you a few questions, choose the advanced option and It will prompt you later on in the install to find out which volume or drive letter you wish to install XP too.

After the first stage of the install, it will reboot and you will be presented with a boot loader menu asking which O/S you wish to load (however the timeout will be set to 0 and it will load XP to finalise the install).

HTH.
        HP DL-380 G6, 2x E5520, 28GB RAM, 4x300GB SAS, VMWare ESXi
        -
        Unreal Tournament : Assault forums - irc://irc.utassault.net:6667 -

Comment

This is easy, you do not need a seperate HD for this.

Here's how you do it:
          1. boot off of a Win98 bootdisk and make a primary partition using fdisk(make the partition active too)
          2. Reboot and boot off of the same boot floppy
          3. then format it (fat32) using format c:
          4. Install Win98 in this partition
          5. Install WinXP and use it's built in partition creator to either create a partition or use the remaining space for XP.

XP which is based on Win2k which is based on NT4 has a built in boot manager which will allow you to chooses between 98 or XP. In turn, every nt based os you add after that will automatically to the boot manager (note: 9x based os's won't[95, 98, 98SE, ME]). for example, at home I have a test machine that boots 98SE, NT4, win2k Pro, Win2k Server and XP Pro. All I had to do was install 98Se first then I could do the NT based Oss in any order.

Hope that helps

Go to my site and ask a few questions there if you need more help

Comment

go into your bios be sure default boot device is set to cdrom.

boot win98 cd or boot disc create a primary fat32 partition using about 40% of the HD space on the HD, reboot and format it command = format c: /u /s . Install win98. After installing win98 on the primary partition , just boot the XP cd and it will bring you into a partitioning application during setup you can create your XP partition there , your dual booting with 98 so create a fat32 partition at least 4-6GB and format it full, then go forward with the installation on that partition you had just created
            MCSE, MVP, CCIE
            Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

wow, thanks guys !!

I forgot about my own thread lol , and came back here today to see a fountain of replies ... thanks so much.

Ive done it now ... becuase I couldnt find Windows xp's own booting program I decided to fiddle around to set it up.

What I did was this :-

Made two partitions ... 1 with fat32 and one with ntfs ( ntfs for win xp even though win xp runs on fat32 too ! )

Moved my current c: windows xp partition data to d: ( as windows 98 ONLY installs on c: ).

Installed windows 98 on c:

Then ... this is all that needs to be done to make BOTH bootable ... EDIT THE BOOT.INI file !!

You need to make it so it rcognises windows xp ( whose command should already be in there ) and all you have to do is add C: below the windows xp boot command ... and thats it !!!

Simple when you get your head around it

IanMFT : Great site you got mate ! It must have taken a long time to make such a stabel website. I was wondering ... how did you do those graphics ??

Thanks again peeps !!!!

Comment

Hrmm...well, most of the graphics I made using fireworks, i need to make a better looking logo, but alas, finals are bearning down on me

Anyway, good move on making the WinXP partition NTFS, NTFS is IMO a much better Filesystem then Fat32 ever was. It fragments less and it lets you use XPs cool security permissions and stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by IanMFT:

This is easy, you do not need a seperate HD for this.

Here's how you do it:
                  1. boot off of a Win98 bootdisk and make a primary partition using fdisk(make the partition active too)
                  2. Reboot and boot off of the same boot floppy
                  3. then format it (fat32) using format c:
                  4. Install Win98 in this partition
                  5. Install WinXP and use it's built in partition creator to either create a partition or use the remaining space for XP.

XP which is based on Win2k which is based on NT4 has a built in boot manager which will allow you to chooses between 98 or XP. In turn, every nt based os you add after that will automatically to the boot manager (note: 9x based os's won't[95, 98, 98SE, ME]). for example, at home I have a test machine that boots 98SE, NT4, win2k Pro, Win2k Server and XP Pro. All I had to do was install 98Se first then I could do the NT based Oss in any order.
                  My post is a little off topic and mainly just a side note for Linux newbies, but you can dual-boot Win9x and Linux in much the same way.

Comment

Actually, if you install linux after you get your windows partitions set up and tell it to put LILO in the MBR, you can Triboot 9x, NT/XP and *nix

When you type DOS at LILO, you get the NT boot manager and you can chooses 9x or NT/XP

Comment

The only reason I suggested a new drive is that for people who are new to dual (or more) booting, fdisking an existing partition can end in tears.

Just a tip for the faint hearted.
                      HP DL-380 G6, 2x E5520, 28GB RAM, 4x300GB SAS, VMWare ESXi
                      -
                      Unreal Tournament : Assault forums - irc://irc.utassault.net:6667 -

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X