Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legal advice on database ownership

greetings everyone.

firstly a background, i ran a forum for nigh on 4 years powered by vBulletin. i then handed the administation over to another who promplty disabled my admin access and is considering closing the site down after a year of being at the helm.
    i really dont want this to happen so i was wondering what rights do i have as the original creator of the database/admin over requesting the latest database backup in order to relaunch in a fresh version of vB under a new URL.
    tricky one i know but i am sure someone will have come accross such a meglomaniac in the past and have an answer.
    regards,
    brian.

Originally posted by aw11tech View Post
    so i was wondering what rights do i have as the original creator of the database/admin
    Unfortunately you do not have any rights.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

Who owns the URL and pays the hosting fee?
      My VB forum: BMWRA

Comment

Originally posted by AntonLargiader View Post
        Who owns the URL and pays the hosting fee?
        That's the way I see it. Unless you have some written contract,
        The person who owns the domain/ pays for web hosting will be the keeper of the database.

Comment

Whomever pays the webhosting bill owns it. The webhost has no legal obligation to provide a backup to anyone but the person who pays them, and I seriously doubt the current forum admin will hand one over.

If you transferred the vBulletin license to someone else by contacting vBulletin Support, the other person would be the licenseholder of record. If you didn't, then you still hold the license, and can recreate the forum (minus the database you don't have) wherever you like once the currently-installed forum is uninstalled or deleted. This might save you a few bucks in licensing fees.

Comment

If you give the board to someone else .. you gave it to someone else.

Just take it back, upload tools.php and reset the admin account, remove the other user and move to a new domain/host and ignore the person until you get a legal notice and he takes you to court.

Comment

Originally posted by aw11tech View Post
              greetings everyone.

firstly a background, i ran a forum for nigh on 4 years powered by vBulletin. i then handed the administation over to another who promplty disabled my admin access and is considering closing the site down after a year of being at the helm.
              i really dont want this to happen so i was wondering what rights do i have as the original creator of the database/admin over requesting the latest database backup in order to relaunch in a fresh version of vB under a new URL.
              tricky one i know but i am sure someone will have come accross such a meglomaniac in the past and have an answer.
              regards,
              brian.
              Brian:

Who, owns the site? Not administers, but owns the site?
              ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
              Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

the domain owner has rights, none other
                Mastiya

Comment

He/She just owns the domain name, they have rights to the domain name, edits to the nameservers..

RE: legal, youll get a notice if most, it won't go any further than a cease and desist
                  MCSE, MVP, CCIE
                  Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X