CD-RW Recommendations/Experiences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CD-RW Recommendations/Experiences

With Christmas right around the corner, a CD-RW drive is on the top of my list. What kinds do you all recommend and what are your good/bad experiences? I'm curious to hear your input here, as I have in other places.

I have a Dell Dimension 8100 running 2K and I'm looking for a 16x or 24x internal drive no more expensive than $150. I looked on PriceWatch and found this deal on a LiteOn: http://www.micropro.com/item.htm?ite...D/DVD%20Drives

I know Plextor is popular, but it is considerably more expensive and they won't honor rebates unless your purchase is over $155. Do you think it's worth it? I hear good things about Plextors, but they are almost twice as expensive as that LiteOn, for example. What do you think of LiteOn?

My last question is bare drive vs. retail package. Is it safe to get it without the retail package if I purchase it with a small company from PriceWatch? Or should I be looking to get the retail box?

Thanks!
    Marc James
    Sports Central — Beyond the Scores
    Sports Central Message Boards

At the moment that Lite-On drive is the one to get. Plextor is still a great drive but they do not own the same aura that the once had. Here is a better price from a company that doesn't screw around with you. It doesn't matter if you get retail or OEM.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...ry=1336&DEPA=1

If you still don't believe than visit the PC Abusers forum and see for your self.

Comment

i have read very good reviews on all the lightonit drives (DVD, CD, etc)

i have a Yamaho 20x internal in my computer. i love it. quiet, fast, etc. i have always been partial to yamaha.

Comment

It also depends on what you are doing. If you are going to burn a a few cds a week than it doesn't really matter all too much today. It only really matters if you are a warez freak and need to be able copy protection XYZ, burn 99 min cds, over-burn 80 min cds, that kind of junk.

I still have an 8X Teac (which was the best 8X of it's time) that works great for me as I don't need to burn 27 warezed ISOs every day.

Comment

I'm still tempted to say go for the Plextor - it's the brand I've always used and they've always been at the top of the market in my mind.

Comment

Thanks for that link, freddie - looks to be a good site with a good price. I am considering that "LITE-ON LTR-24102B-01 24x10x40 CDRW - RETAIL" one for $89.00.

I still don't get the difference between OEM and retail, other than the fact that the retail comes in the original box. Does the OEM mean it has been opened and tampered with? I don't get why it would cost less not to include the original box. Do I get instructions in the OEM? What do I lose by going with OEM?
            Marc James

Comment

OEM is intended more for bulk purchases, though you can by not in bulk as well. Basically you lose the box, packaging and sometimes the manual. You'll probably still get a driver CD/disk.

There is very little difference between the two - and the only differences are cosmetic. Once the drive is fitted and working there is no difference.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesUS
                There is very little difference between the two - and the only differences are cosmetic. Once the drive is fitted and working there is no difference.
                Ah, that brings up another point. How do I know a drive is fitted and will fit for my case?
                Marc James

Comment

i have a

Sony 8x/4x/32x 140E CD-RW and a Ricoch 6x/4x/24x MP7060S scsi CD-RW

you might want to look around and see which of them is known in the past to be able to have their firmware flashed higher to run as a faster cd-rw drive hehe

check out

http://www.cdrinfo.com/

http://www.cdrwcentral.com/

http://nbm.cdfreaks.com/
                  :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
                  :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
                  :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

Originally posted by mjames

Ah, that brings up another point. How do I know a drive is fitted and will fit for my case?
                    it's all standard. 5.25'' drive bays. if you have an available bay and IDE connector it will work.

Comment

Originally posted by Jakeman

it's all standard. 5.25'' drive bays. if you have an available bay and IDE connector it will work.
                      And a power connector (I learned the hard way )

Comment

hehe, of course.

but even so... if you don't have one you can go to a computer store and buy a splitter for one of your internal 4 pin power connectors.

Comment

I changed my Creative 12x write, 8x RW for an IDE Plextor 24x retail box. Came with all the kit I needed, however I found 1 small problem...

... you also need 24x CDR's to write at that speed - which aren't really available, and not at the same price as other decent CDR's. The retail box has 2 CDs in it, but they were only 12x - which confused me.. but there we go.

Best bet is to go for a 12x or 16x drive - your looking at around £70 - £100. I can't complain about the Creative drive, it only ever failed 1 or 2 CD's out of about 100 - BurnProof technology works quite well and means those damn buffer underruns won't occur as frequently.

SCSI Plextor 16x is also highly recommened if you have difficulty writing anything which isn't *ahem* stanard.
                          HP DL-380 G6, 2x E5520, 28GB RAM, 4x300GB SAS, VMWare ESXi
                          -
                          Unreal Tournament : Assault forums - irc://irc.utassault.net:6667 -

Comment

If you can't find 24x media than the drives will write at 16x but finding 24x media isn't hard to do in the US. Some 16x and slower media will write at 24x anyway, you just have to look at some of those sites Eva listed to find out what works at what speed (blank cds that is).

Comment

Well, I bought the 24x internal retail LiteOn from NewEgg. Is it me, or have they constantly lowered the prices? I bought it for $89.00 last weekend, now it's $82.00? I hate it when that happens!
                              Marc James

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X