How important is it to back up files?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How important is it to back up files?

Obviously, backing up the database is very important but what about the file system? When you're sitting on several gb's worth of attachments, avatars, albums etc it makes things difficult, just from the volume of space alone..
    Ball Python Forum l Cottonmouth Snake l Reptile Husbandry

If you're storing attachments etc in the file system you should back them up.

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery View Post
      If you're storing attachments etc in the file system you should back them up.
      It seems that backing up those very files in the same place is pointless, so I guess the only way to FTP them to another server..

Comment

Originally posted by General Lee View Post
        It seems that backing up those very files in the same place is pointless, so I guess the only way to FTP them to another server..
        The only way to backup anything whether it is files or your database is to move a copy to an external server, preferably in a completely different network. You should backup your files to your local machine and then make an additional backup to a secure facility after that. Redundancy is what saves your data and files. Copying it onto the same machine in the same datacenter is just that, a copy. If the datacenter goes down or your machine gets fried, then you have nothing.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
        Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

I use the shell method, download the file to my computer and drop into my Dropbox directory.
          Hmmm. Cheese.

Comment

Dropbox, Carbonite, and Mozy are all good and inexpensive services for offsite backups. I would suspect that larger sites could use CDN services as well.

Wayne Luke

Comment

Originally posted by socceronly View Post
              I use the shell method
              Do you have a link or could you show me what the command looks like?

Comment

Originally posted by General Lee View Post
                Do you have a link or could you show me what the command looks like?
                http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/m...nce_ssh_backup

Wayne Luke

Comment

i just download EVERYTHING with filezilla to HDD, FD abd CD my dropbox is full with my computer programs and other data so i can trasnfer files between my 2 computers that use ethernet and my netbook running wireless ofcourse i also have a tivo and nintendo Wii running wireless also. and thats just me.

lol any time tw/rr come to our house they ask if we are running ebay from our home

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Anime View Post
                    i just download EVERYTHING with filezilla to HDD, FD abd CD my dropbox is full with my computer programs and other data so i can trasnfer files between my 2 computers that use ethernet and my netbook running wireless ofcourse i also have a tivo and nintendo Wii running wireless also. and thats just me.

lol any time tw/rr come to our house they ask if we are running ebay from our home
                    I hope this isn't a stupid question... but.

Is everything in MySQL dump?
                    Hmmm. Cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
                      Dropbox, Carbonite, and Mozy are all good and inexpensive services for offsite backups. I would suspect that larger sites could use CDN services as well.
                      Another good service is www.BQBackup.com, they backup your entire server (or just certain parts of it, you decide) via Rsync and can be scheduled to backup at anytime you like. I've used them for the past 4 years with nothing but top notch service from them!
                      Debt-Made-Easy.com: Get out and stay out of debt.

Comment

Surely you have enough space to create a tarball & compress the files? That's basically what I do. On one forum I operate I have a couple of GB of avatars alone (no attachments). My backup of this specific folder is to sync it to my backup server every few hours using rsync. The rest of the files are tarballed, compressed and also synced to the backup server once a week, along with the database. This was done with some basic (very basic) shell scripting and added to a cronjob. The reason for using a constant rsync on the avatar folder is due to it not being wise to constantly tarball/compress the directory. It's much easier to send files over as they're updated/added/removed.

If you know what you're doing, you could automatically sync the files to your home PC provided you're online at a certain time.
                        http://www.offtopic.com.au/

Comment

Originally posted by socceronly View Post
                          I hope this isn't a stupid question... but.

Is everything in MySQL dump?

????

Originally posted by Off_Topic View Post
                          Surely you have enough space to create a tarball & compress the files? That's basically what I do. On one forum I operate I have a couple of GB of avatars alone (no attachments). My backup of this specific folder is to sync it to my backup server every few hours using rsync. The rest of the files are tarballed, compressed and also synced to the backup server once a week, along with the database. This was done with some basic (very basic) shell scripting and added to a cronjob. The reason for using a constant rsync on the avatar folder is due to it not being wise to constantly tarball/compress the directory. It's much easier to send files over as they're updated/added/removed.

If you know what you're doing, you could automatically sync the files to your home PC provided you're online at a certain time.

if that was to me i just need more dropbox space that i can only get by refering people to the service. or pay for it and i just can't afford it ATM

Comment

I've got the database figured out. Is there a command to back up the files?
                            Last edited by General Lee; Tue 6th Apr '10, 2:32pm.

Comment

http://unixhelp.ed.ac.uk/CGI/man-cgi?tar

http://amath.colorado.edu/computing/...e/man/zip.html

http://stahlworks.com/dev/index.php?tool=zipunzip

Or if you're using a Windows server and have RDP installed, then just right-click on the directory and choose Send To... > Compressed Folder.

Or you can log into your server using Filezilla (or any FTP program), select all files and then download them to your local machine.

Wayne Luke

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X