X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Prohacker
    replied
    hahahahah..

I just went and did a scan, and it didn't even pick up my right IP, the IP shown doesn't even belong to my ISP........

Leave a comment:

• IanMFT
    replied
    Originally posted by WildWayz
    weird thing is, I had Apache and BPFTP Server running at the time

--James
    Well, did you have netBEUI running?

Leave a comment:

• WildWayz
    replied
    weird thing is, I had Apache and BPFTP Server running at the time

--James

Leave a comment:

• IanMFT
    replied
    Originally posted by WildWayz
    LOL
    The Register HATES Mr Gibson.
    Gotta admit tho - after all of Steve's ramblings about WinXP, I went to his site and run those tests to see how vulnerable my system is - and it reported me being totally invisible to the internet and using the highest form of protection.

Weird

James
    Ya know what his definition of being invisible is? No netBEUI or ftp/http services running

As much as the register sucks, GRC is a rambling idiot and IMO holds less credibility then the register

Leave a comment:

• WildWayz
    replied
    LOL
    The Register HATES Mr Gibson.
    Gotta admit tho - after all of Steve's ramblings about WinXP, I went to his site and run those tests to see how vulnerable my system is - and it reported me being totally invisible to the internet and using the highest form of protection.

Weird

James

Leave a comment:

• Freddie Bingham
    replied
    If I see "theregister" in the url I just continue on my way.

Leave a comment:

• IanMFT
    replied
    ahahahaahahhahaha....he deserves it, he is insane.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. X
    replied
    Though I must say grcsucks.com does provide some amusing reads.

Leave a comment:

• Chris Schreiber
    replied
    Both Thomas C Greene and "The Register" have had a history of writing negative articles about Steve and his research. This is just more of the same.

Leave a comment:

• MattR
    replied
    Steve posted this in dslreports:

"In response to S J Friedl
    Re: Bugtraq: Malicious use of grc.com
    Gang,

I'll be on live with David Lawrence AND Thomas Greene in one hour to discuss this issue ... on David Lawrence's "OnLine Tonight with David Lawrence". That's at 9:00 PM Pacific, Midnight Eastern.

The "exploit" has been known for two years, no one cares since the current ShieldsUP scan is much less "potent" than anything you could do with NMAP. Also, there's no way to get it to test for other ports, nor to do anything other than a simple "SYN scan".

And finally and perhaps most important, the original BugTraq posting and Thomas Greene's subsequent article today in "The Register" were both completely incorrect about it being possible to use this -- even with scripting -- for a DoS attack. Try it yourself ... use two browser windows side-by-side and try to run two ShieldsUP scans at the same time. You'll see that the second "overlapping" test is simply denied.
    Sorry.

The potential for "spoofing" the ShieldsUP test appears every six months or so, but since it's really not useful for anything, it has never gone any further. And, as someone correctly observed earlier in this thread, the whole thing will be resolved soon with the release of the RSVP technology -- which is working well in the lab now.

Thanks for your thoughts and for your support.

All the best!

Leave a comment:

• George L
    started a topic Steve Gibson accidently creates DOS attack tool

Steve Gibson accidently creates DOS attack tool

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/6/23033.html
widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X