New Computer Help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Computer Help?

Hey all, I am in the market for a new computer but want to stick with somewhere that has a monthly payment plan, and that I can gut and put inside my own case.

Right now I am looking at DELL. But how easy is a dell to open up and strip and put the parts ina new case? The reason I ask is cause an old gateway I had was all weird inside. Non normal connections, etc. Wasnt possible to switch.

If not, anyone have good recommendations?
    Thanks for any help!

I am also interested in people's suggestions.

My dream: dual 2ghz 1gb ram etc

Reality: u tell me !
    Email: [email protected]
    Site: Under Construction

Comment

Let me post my experience with Dell.

They use a lot of proprietary things in their cases (especially that annoying front panel mobo connector).

Honestly, build a system yourself and put it on a credit card or something liek that if you want to do monthly payment plans. Even with interest on the card it will still come out to be cheaper then the dell and 5 times faster, not to mention you get complete control over what goes in it.

just my opinion.

Comment

I got a Dell 8100. P4 1.4 ghz, 256 RD RAM, yada yada. Ive had it almost a year and im really glad i got it.

Anyway. First off the case is easy as hell to open i mean no tools needed just press the lil button and the side comes up. Then repeat as needed for the other sides. The parts seem pretty much interchangable. I havent added anything oor taken anything away yet but yeah. But i'd go with a dell over building one. For one reason. The technical support and parts. I mean you can get a 3 year parts and labor so you dont have to pay for a hard drive or anything that breaks. And their tech support is the best out there. I've worked with them with a few problems ive had (nothing major, not hardware issues WinME problems but now i have XP so that wouldnt happen again ).

I was also reading in consumer reports , December 2001 has the computer company reports. And dell had the fewest problems and fewest number of repairs. Unlike Gateway which was second to the bottom below Compaq.

Comment

All of Dell's systems (with the exception of its really high end computers) are using SDRAM with the P4's and have been very slow. Their Geforce 3 cards have also been very slow compared to other systems out there.
          Build your own machine or order a custom rig. I had great experience with Monster Box (monsterboxpc.com). They will build anything you want.

Good luck,

-JRW
          LostDiscussion.com - Fan base community for ABC's Lost | Club-tC.com - Scion tC Enthusiast Site | PcTechTalk.com - What's your issue? | eInvesting.com - Play the Market, Learn Investing, WIN!

Comment

hmm yeah i got RD Ram in mine and im glad cause its way better than SD for the P4's.

Comment

Re: New Computer Help?

Originally posted by c-prompt
              I can gut and put inside my own case.

If you plan on striping it, plan on throwing your warrenty out... And make sure not to tell the sales people, they won't let you order on lease or payment option then.. If people stop paying, they want the entire system back

But those things go with almost every supplier. Even if you buy a custom rig, and you rip it up and put it into another case, you void your warrenty. I've had a few AlienWare computers come though a shop I worked at and screamed.....

Comment

I never buy anything from a company like dell, gateway, etc. I have a friend who gets these amazing deals on computer parts, all brand new. I buy everything straight from him. I would just fork it all up at once, put on a CC and off you go. A lot less hassle
                Board of the Month: November
                Websites: Pixeljunction , vBulletin.org
                Button Sets: XP and Aqua Button sets! FREE!
                vB Customization: My sig is now vbulletin compliant. Contact me to make yours compliant too!

Comment

Do not go with HP....I mean that....They have a custome rig, and from my expierence they suck, Dell however is a great manchine, but like others have said screw with the inside and void a warranty

Comment

asus is coming out with a fatty dual socket A DDR board soon. yummy... that's what i'm getting.

Comment

Originally posted by TheComputerGuy
                      Do not go with HP....I mean that....They have a custome rig, and from my expierence they suck, Dell however is a great manchine, but like others have said screw with the inside and void a warranty

Hey, I have an HP ; actually 4 now. My oldest one is going on 4 years and its still kicking. Never had any problems.

I DO have gripes about Dell and their less than stellar support, however.
                      There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Comment

all retail systems are custom and proprietary to some degree. just build your own.

Comment

Jakeman hit that one on the head, just build your own. I will never do anything but..
                          Board of the Month: November
                          Websites: Pixeljunction , vBulletin.org
                          Button Sets: XP and Aqua Button sets! FREE!
                          vB Customization: My sig is now vbulletin compliant. Contact me to make yours compliant too!

Comment

Well it usually saves u money in the long run, C-Pr0mpt, I would recommend that, u can load it up or u can down what ever u want, you do a lot of graphics and editors or so, so that will cost u so why not order the parts ur self?

Comment

Right now I am looking at DELL. But how easy is a dell to open up and strip and put the parts ina new case? The reason I ask is cause an old gateway I had was all weird inside. Non normal connections, etc. Wasnt possible to switch.
                              Thats generally the problem with PC systems from Dell, Compaq etc. I had a friend who bought a Micron PC in like 95' and over the years he would ask me to fix it, upgrade it etc, but I really had a hard time cuz the case and stuff was so different than standard designs.

When I built him a new system this summer, I had to literally rip apart the faceplates cuz they attached with all this plastic crap all over the place.

I've built every system I've ever owned and dont plan on ever getting a pre-built one simply for that reason, and for the fact Im a total nerd and I like building stuff.

In short, I'd suggest just building your own, cuz it would not only be cheaper, but upgrading/troubleshooting would be easier in the long run.
                              forums: pcfx.cc
                              gallery: here

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X