Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joe D.
    replied
    I tried installing comet chat and it was a mess, nothing worked... their support was terrible, I ended up uninstalling and eating the $50, I was glad to be rid of it.

Leave a comment:

• Ramsesx
    replied
    Originally posted by Joe Blow View Post
    Is Comet Chat the only Facebook style browser based live chat for vBulletin?

I think the concept, of being able to have a live chat with only those who you have chosen as a forum friend is a great idea. I had a live chat room before and one of the big problems was people coming in and disrupting the chat. Being able to pick and choose who you chat with as well as having that FB style bar at the bottom of your browser is exactly what vBulletin needs in a live chat IMO.

What I really want to know is: Is it as good as the Facebook chat? Are there any real disadvantages to Comet Chat?
    There is one from arrowchat but 16$ more expensive and I doubt it is better than comet chat, they even don't have a demo on their site.
    The disadvantage of such type of chats may be additional server load. On the comet chat site you can try it out and may see the differences to facebook.

Leave a comment:

• Joe Blow
    replied
    Is Comet Chat the only Facebook style browser based live chat for vBulletin?

I think the concept, of being able to have a live chat with only those who you have chosen as a forum friend is a great idea. I had a live chat room before and one of the big problems was people coming in and disrupting the chat. Being able to pick and choose who you chat with as well as having that FB style bar at the bottom of your browser is exactly what vBulletin needs in a live chat IMO.

What I really want to know is: Is it as good as the Facebook chat? Are there any real disadvantages to Comet Chat?

Leave a comment:

• AWS
    replied
    This might be a good addition to a site, however they are spammers. I have had many emails from these people telling me how awesome this is and how it would help me get more members. I don't appreciate any unsolicited email. If I wanted this installed I would have done so.

Leave a comment:

• Joe Blow
    replied
    I'm just wondering if anyone has any further feedback on Comet Chat as I'm considering purchasing it when I upgrade to vBulletin 4?

Does it integrate smoothly with vBulletin 4? Any annoyances? Complaints from your users?

Thanks for any feedback!

Leave a comment:

• robertj86
    replied
    I don't like to need to install.. and there is another problem: it will consume my servers resources.
    I prefer to use a web tool bar, like this: http://plugchat.in/
    Only copy and past to work. (to integrate your users need to use the API)

Leave a comment:

• Hall of Famer
    replied
    Is there an addon that converts chats into threads/posts in a specific subforum?

Leave a comment:

• Ramsesx
    replied
    Some users had also trouble with this and after it fu*** up my server once I had to disable it. Maybe I'll try again when V2 comes out.

Leave a comment:

• funmasti
    replied
    its affecting browsing the forum, i means some of my members using ie6 they report about it

Leave a comment:

• LiverpoolB
    replied
    I've purchased this and have had installation issues. Cometchat have now told me that my AdminCP is broken. I can't see how as everything else on my site works just fine. Now when I try emailing them my email bounces back... strange

Leave a comment:

• Floris
    replied
    For live chat to vBulletin, i recommend the plugin "ezirc" from vBulletin.org - more info here: http://vbirc.com/vbulletin

Leave a comment:

• the geek
    replied
    Thanks for that Anthony - they must have changed that as I had to mod it that way last time I downloaded it. Maybe they have improved the browser freezing issues users were having on my site too.

Leave a comment:

• anthonyparsons
    replied
    By default it actually only uses your friends list and from that, only those that are actually online. Any past issues that occurred, I am not seeing them now with it. It integrates itself and I had exactly zero issues installing it, changing the settings, etc, by simply reading the instructions first and then doing it. After reading, it took me around 5 minutes to have it installed, tweaked and running. A novice could install it in under 15 minutes at worse. The only change I made was it links to Googles jquery, being a third party site, and I like everything running from my own server.... so I installed the jquery version onto the server it needed and linked it that way, otherwise, mine is stock standard and works like a charm on a ServInt VPS.

Like Dean stated above, not sure how well it would work on something like a shared host, but if you have a high-end VPS or decent dedicated box, I don't see any issues with hundreds of users on the system.

Leave a comment:

• the geek
    replied
    If you have more than 10 people online at any time it can really eat up your resources. Every page load it pulls all users online and formats it in the popup box. Each page load. Each user. Have 250 users browsing your site online and your users will notice.

I modded it to only pull a users visible online friends which radically helped but ended up removing it in the end as it would freeze browsers. Bummed too as i liked the product. http://www.arrowchat.com/ is supposedly pretty good and worth checking out.

Leave a comment:

• mhackl
    replied
    Does it integrate itself or does it have to be modified?[COLOR="rgb(47, 79, 79)"] Also, is it compatible with VB4.x?[/COLOR]
    Last edited by mhackl; Thu 11 Mar '10, 2:34am.

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X