X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sfitzgerald
    replied
    Originally posted by anthonyparsons View Post
    I like IM functionality, and so do my users... they love the privacy of one on one instant chat when another is online, and notified of such instance in real time vs. hanging around a chat room waiting for someone or organising times, etc. A good majority of the world have FB accounts and use the FB IM... so having similar on the website they are already familiar with its use and enjoy that live interaction in small doses.

Yea we have MGO chatbox and I am looking at Dragon Bytes chatbox but I like the FB IM look also and it does give some privacy to talks especially if I want to talk to a user one on one or one of my staff

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Originally posted by Dean C View Post
    You could create a layer of functionality on top of IRC to provide the same PUSH functionality as cometchat, and therefore provide the same UI.

I could but I could also spend $50.00-$100 and get the functionality I wanted without spending a lot of time re-inventing the wheel. Time is more valuable.

Leave a comment:

• punchbowl
    replied
    I use addonchat on my bb. Would never use a php based chat.

Leave a comment:

• Ramsesx
    replied
    Originally posted by Dean C View Post
    You could create a layer of functionality on top of IRC to provide the same PUSH functionality as cometchat, and therefore provide the same UI.
    Sure you could, but we talk about existing products.

Leave a comment:

• Dean C
    replied
    Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
    Different interfaces, different purposes.

Leave a comment:

• anthonyparsons
    replied
    I like IM functionality, and so do my users... they love the privacy of one on one instant chat when another is online, and notified of such instance in real time vs. hanging around a chat room waiting for someone or organising times, etc. A good majority of the world have FB accounts and use the FB IM... so having similar on the website they are already familiar with its use and enjoy that live interaction in small doses.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Originally posted by Floris View Post
    Why pay for chat when it's always free .. irc ftw. http://vbirc.com/vbulletin
    Different interfaces, different purposes.

Leave a comment:

• Floris
    replied
    Why pay for chat when it's always free .. irc ftw. http://vbirc.com/vbulletin

Leave a comment:

• anthonyparsons
    replied
    Arrowchat does look nice... much of a muchness between them possibly. Like jbolo for jomsocial... they all do IM reasonably well, efficient and easy.

Never had to use the support at cometchat though, as I never had any issue installing it, reading the documentation and customising it quickly. Cannot comment on the support!!!

Leave a comment:

• Sfitzgerald
    replied
    I personally bought it and ate the cost - support was crappy I asked for my refund with in the time frame and never heard back from anyone from the site - tickets sent in times 3 .. i moved over to arrowchat - the guy who set up arrowchat used to write most of the modes for cometchat ... better product so far from what i saw at comerchat IMHO

Leave a comment:

• anthonyparsons
    replied
    I'm on a VPS with average users 200+ and have zero issues with comet chat. Installation was as simple as uploading the files, running the install (which is already configured for vbulletin), and it all works. I then disabled all the bits I didn't want in the config, and it was that easy. This thing would run on a shared host providing the software meets the installation requirements. Excellent IM'img... I turned everything else off, as its really about the IM functionality, ie. similar to Facebook.

Leave a comment:

• Joe Blow
    replied
    Originally posted by Ramsesx View Post
    I would bet he's now using no one. But I can tell you from my experience with comet chat, the first version was very server intensive now I'm using the v2 RC version and so far it's fine, members like it and the install was not too hard.
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm on a quad core dedicated server with 4GB RAM, so maybe V2 RC will work for me.

Leave a comment:

• Joe D.
    replied
    That's correct, no live chat... well we have a lobby chatroom as part of Andrew Green's "Gameroom" mod but it doesn't have any real features besides basic 'room' type chat.

Leave a comment:

• Ramsesx
    replied
    Originally posted by Joe Blow View Post
    What are you currently using as a live chat solution if you don't mind me asking?
    I would bet he's now using no one. But I can tell you from my experience with comet chat, the first version was very server intensive now I'm using the v2 RC version and so far it's fine, members like it and the install was not too hard.

Leave a comment:

• Joe Blow
    replied
    Originally posted by BirdOPrey5 View Post
    I tried installing comet chat and it was a mess, nothing worked... their support was terrible, I ended up uninstalling and eating the $50, I was glad to be rid of it.
    What are you currently using as a live chat solution if you don't mind me asking?

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X