Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It amazes me who attempts to run forums...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

idiocy is a relative term.
    My Twitterings

Comment

Yea bad form from the OP - I work in IT and are some what technical when it comes to what I do in my role in the dept.. I own a domain and a forum which I love and have fun doing .. have a good group of members and some dedicated staff. I was dumped this all on my lap on day when they web guy decided he wanted to leave so me loving my community said screw it I will take it on and figure it out .. was it tuff you bet , did I ask some stupid questions and still do yes .. do I play around and try to figure out things all by myself sure do ... I come here to learn and ask questions and hopefully someone who knows more then me will lend me a little piece of knowledge that they have .. because i know i have passed that knowledge back to some new noob at one time ...

Comment

OddMud,
        Please make sure you never work as a helpdesk operator in the IT industry. You will find that there are many people who aren't that good on computers and don't have good skills but want help with everything.
        People do not know everything so please don't act like a know it all and get annoyed when people start asking questions.
        Maybe you shouldn't have a computer or an internet connection.
        Aussiefootyforums

New Site New forum
        Come and talk sports all day long

Comment

I hate to bad mouth the guy but the admin on the site I moderate on is sometimes as big a problem as all the other problems I face there, really changes that all the mods agreed on and he said he would implement months ago have never been done and in general he hardly even seems to be concerned with the forum. I've been lurking here for a week or so and see that many of the problems that take up hours of the moderators time can be solved by a good admin willing to put in a little time him or herself.

Comment

Originally posted by Protoss View Post
            @oddmud. IMHO out of order. We all started somewhere. I'd hazard a guess that most of us with no html or coding knowledge.
            It starts as a hobby, project, enthusiasm and grows. Don't be so condescending.
            100% agree.

It must be brilliant to be born knowing everything - /me points at oddmud

If everyone took your attitude no one would be able to drive etc - everyone has to learn, some pick it up better than others, but they shouldn't be mocked.

Comment

Originally posted by Mo_Zingo View Post
              I hate to bad mouth the guy but the admin on the site I moderate on is sometimes as big a problem as all the other problems I face there, really changes that all the mods agreed on and he said he would implement months ago have never been done and in general he hardly even seems to be concerned with the forum. I've been lurking here for a week or so and see that many of the problems that take up hours of the moderators time can be solved by a good admin willing to put in a little time him or herself.
              I can empathize. My solution was to start a forum.

Comment

I think the reason some people ask what some may consider stupid or basic questions is the fear of screwing it up. I have no problem with that, as it is usually easier to sort them out than if they had ploughed in and done something major.

what can be annoying is answering the same questions again and again, because someone can't be bothered to do a quick search to see if the question has been asked before.

Comment

Can you help me put this in a quote block without using quote button?

You know how I learned HTML, PHP, CSS and how to run a forum. I started with free Yahoo website not knowing anything. From there I used Netscape Composer. Did not need to know HTML with that program. It done the work for me. CSS and PHP I learned from starting a VBulletin forum and asking questions. Technology keeps making everything easier. You don't have to know a lot to get what you want. And now with the firebug thingy. I can find almost everything I need. I'm waiting for technology to turn the corner and fix everything I need just by thinking about it.
                  Funny thing. I ran a someone else forum before my own. They did all the technical stuff. I did all the moderating.
                  Originally posted by oddmud View Post
                  <rant>
                  I'm ranting a bit here, but from the pure idiotic questions and such in the help forums here. It truly amazes me the amount of people who have no clue as to what they are doing with a webpage, programming html, or general computer knowledge at all; trying to run a forum.

If you don't know anything about computers, maybe you should leave the running of a forum to the people that do know what they're doing.

I'm not perfect, I ask questions all the time, but at least I have a base of knowledge to start with. It drives me crazy seeing the morons out there stepping in to a realm to which they have no place. Argh, but I guess everyone has to start somewhere. :|
                  </rant>

Now that I've got that off my chest, I apologize to any of those I offended.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X