X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MikeJ
    replied
    The new internet in general has definitely had an effect on online communities. I do miss a lot about the web 1.0 days. When communities were separated and full of anonymous chatters with their online alter-egos they had more charm than being an extension of people's real life social network the way things operate today. Progress marches on though so what can you do.

Leave a comment:

• cpvrx
    replied
    Originally posted by Redman View Post
    lol very well said. They are making a killing with freebie advertisements. At some point I think that they may loose a large percentage of hype. Let's not forget that Myspace was on top of their game until FB somehow exploded it's membership base. Myspace went from digital rags to riches, then back to digital rags as they say. Just be strong, continue to do what you do and work on your niche.
    Myspace also grew in popularity because of all the fansites backing them up - and then the owners flocked to Facebook because they thought there was more money involved in FB, which was said to be true.

The fact remains though, if you believe Facebook is ruining your community, then use it to your advantage - and build content on things that you see on FB. I know I do this and it works, especially when games in my niche have a page, and they post news on it, and then we forwarded it to our members - for more discussion.

Leave a comment:

• jhooks
    replied
    Originally posted by Alfa1 View Post
    They could create something like boards.ie A mega forum with sub boards each dedicating to specific topics.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/www.called.com/index.php/
    Each sub-board has their own clan of dedicated members.
    Wow, I really hope facebook doesn't do that. I mean I have a facebook, and I like it, but I just don't think I'd like it if they tried to take over everything. If they kept it the way it is now, I'd be happy haha.

Leave a comment:

• Redman
    replied
    Originally posted by Razasharp View Post
    Add facebook to your word censor. My site which has been the most 'protected' from FB is where we don't allow 'add me' type threads for any sites that compete with us on our topic. And as they have forums (for pretty much any topic) they are added to the ban list.

However, the BBC and all the other media have given them so much free exposure now that it is becoming VERY hard to stay immune.

Best thing you can do is add them to your ban list as a competing site, don't allow 'add me' type threads (as it's just advertising). I just wish all the other admins did the same years ago... they wouldn't be so popular now. All the friends people make on your site, just get taken with them to FB and others - small sites can't compete with that.

BTW I have an idea for a social network that will hopefully be able to take on FB while remaining sympathetic to smaller communities like ours. ...just wish there were more hours in the day!
    lol very well said. They are making a killing with freebie advertisements. At some point I think that they may loose a large percentage of hype. Let's not forget that Myspace was on top of their game until FB somehow exploded it's membership base. Myspace went from digital rags to riches, then back to digital rags as they say. Just be strong, continue to do what you do and work on your niche.

Leave a comment:

• Redman
    replied
    Originally posted by DoE View Post
    Nope. Facebook and other such sites are ruining career opportunities, costing people money, and ending relationships.

With forums, only the last in the above sentence applies,
    Totally agree.

Leave a comment:

• Mark Hewitt
    replied
    Facebook is taking members away. But with the likes of facebook 'connect' and being smart about working with facebook, it can bring them back too. I hope!

Leave a comment:

• kornalius
    replied
    Facebook is killing more than just forums right now but on the other end, forums have been here since the beginning of BBS's and soon after on the Internet, they are here to stay.

Forums might be in a transition state, with the mobile technology taking over desktop slowly.
    Last edited by kornalius; Sun 30 Jan '11, 9:32am.

Leave a comment:

• liveconnect
    replied
    Facebook can never ruin forums. Forums have their own importance.

Leave a comment:

• Alfa1
    replied
    They could create something like boards.ie A mega forum with sub boards each dedicating to specific topics.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/index.php
    Each sub-board has their own clan of dedicated members.

Leave a comment:

• Mark Hewitt
    replied
    Has a point though, if facebook decided to go full out on 'forums', ones that they themselves set up rather than user created groups, then they would come to dominate the web.

But, people do like a forum to be busy, but not too busy, they like to see familiar names popping up, so I think a facebook forum would be rather impersonal and just too busy, you wouldn't have time to follow it all!

Leave a comment:

• Alfa1
    replied
    Originally posted by rustyangel View Post
    500 billion?? Really. What other planets/solar systems/angels did they get to join?
    Some of us must have been busy reproducing while wasn't paying attention.

Leave a comment:

• rustyangel
    replied
    Originally posted by ryan1918 View Post
    That would be sick to see a facebook forum though, 500 billion registered members, YIKES! It would be total own-age even if 10% of the users posted, but I doubt they would want that, that's hard to make money off, and they like people updating there statuses every five minutes.
    500 billion?? Really. What other planets/solar systems/angels did they get to join?

Leave a comment:

• ryan1918
    replied
    That would be sick to see a facebook forum though, 500 billion registered members, YIKES! It would be total own-age even if 10% of the users posted, but I doubt they would want that, that's hard to make money off, and they like people updating there statuses every five minutes.

Leave a comment:

• Alfa1
    replied
    Currently Facebook does not have forums. Though they are developing all kinds of new stuff and have hired former forum software developers. Including a former vbulletin developer.
    What they do have now is:
    - Facebook comments, which is a comments system that sites can add to their news articles, blogs, CMS, etc.
    - Groups, which lets users discuss a specific topic. This comes some close to forums, but is still different.

Leave a comment:

• rustyangel
    replied
    Oh, and what kind of Forums is Facebook starting? The last thing I want to do is compete with them if their forums are going to be similar to mine. I'm putting my life's savings into this and feel that I have a great, new concept that people will like (of course, who doesn't)...but if they are going to be in the same arena I may need to re-think my position...

Leave a comment: