What to do...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do...

In short, we run a vB and an art gallery.
    The art gallery is slowly being ported to mysql. It would go a lot quicker if I knew what I was doing

But they each have their own database. Now I want to integrate the art gallery with vB's database. The gallery is being worked on. So far I've added a comment feature so people can comment on the pics they see, and the login thingy to administer the gallery has already been ported to vB's database. Now you can use the vB login id's to do your thing.
    In the (near?) future that will also be used for artists to be able to handle their own part of the gallery themselves, including uploading pics.

But this means that the script will make connections to two databases. I wonder about that...
    Wouldn't it be smarter to stick everything in one db? I'm not sure whether something like this has any impact on performance, or server/memory load and such. Or maybe something else I never thought about, or simply don't know about.

Any of the guru's out there with some good views, and maybe suggestions?

better asked over at www.vbulletin.org
    :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
    :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
    :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

99.9% sure it makes no difference how big that database is, it is all to do with access of tables, ie if you had two completly seperate programs each using 10 tables it would make no difference if all the tables were in one database or if they were split into two.

In your case there might be a difference in that you have to access two databases in one php script, there will be a performance drop because of that but i don't have any idea how much.
      Christopher Padfield
      Web Based Helpdesk
      DeskPRO v3.0.3 Released - Download Demo Now!

Comment

I could also have asked here in the MySQL forum. I'm basically interested in any consequences of this construction.

Anything added to that I consider a bonus

Comment

In your case there might be a difference in that you have to access two databases in one php script, there will be a performance drop because of that but i don't have any idea how much.
          Seeing it like that, it would certainly mean more connections. Right now that's hardly an issue, since admins are the only ones who can actually do things, and they only need to login once to set a cookie. Even then you still need passwords to change anything; the thought of relying on cookies alone...

But that sort of thing is going to change. Once people have permissions to do potentially dangerous things, we'll need more to keep security uptight. And that would certainly mean more connections than when we'd have just one db, but not necessarily more queries. And thus I wonder...

We have a small site, but if we don't care about such things now, how would we do if were to grow bigger?! Learning as you go has it's dark sides and I wish I had time to read the books I bought

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X