Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Former vBulletin lead developer Kier Darby to develop new forum software?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ManagerJosh
    replied
    Originally posted by Ryan Ashbrook View Post
    The only thing this explains is why he's so quiet about it.

Like AlexanderT said, these contracts expire over time. All Kier has to do is keep in the dark about it, not say a word about it, and not move forward (marketing, publicity, sales, etc.) until the non-compete expires.
    A little unknown fact. Historically, California does not uphold Do Not Compete Clauses. In about 5% of all cases do they really enforce them.

Leave a comment:

• Shamil.
    replied
    Kier's a great photographer!

Leave a comment:

• Ryan Ashbrook
    replied
    Originally posted by Dean C View Post
    Another thing to remember is it's common in IT contracts (especially in companies like this) to have anti-competitive clauses in your contract. Another reason why I think this is absolute nonsense.
    The only thing this explains is why he's so quiet about it.

Like AlexanderT said, these contracts expire over time. All Kier has to do is keep in the dark about it, not say a word about it, and not move forward (marketing, publicity, sales, etc.) until the non-compete expires.

Leave a comment:

• AlexanderT
    replied
    NCCs are limited in scope and time. For instance, in most European countries, NCC are legally limited to at most two years. Besides, vBulletin Solutions is now a company in California (as we have all learned as legal matters got transferred from the UK to the US), and California prohibits NCCs except in very limited circumstances. For that reason, the idea of Kier & Co working on a new bulletin board cannot be regarded as "absolute nonsense".

Wishful thinking - perhaps. But not absolute nonsense.

Leave a comment:

• Dean C
    replied
    Another thing to remember is it's common in IT contracts (especially in companies like this) to have anti-competitive clauses in your contract. Another reason why I think this is absolute nonsense.

Leave a comment:

• Joe Gronlund
    replied
    Why would someone who is not putting an interest in a product, bother commenting on something they have no plans on going forward with??

You will not get any Official comments for some time, but from what I have read, there is some interest in this. And I would be 100% interested in any product developed by kier, and co-developed by others that have worked with Kier... others - SM MC FB etc...

Leave a comment:

• Dilly
    replied
    Sorry mister.

Leave a comment:

• carntheroos4eva
    replied
    Originally posted by Dilly View Post
    Or he doesn't like you.
    Or he is ignoring all of your smutty comments. Give it a rest.

Leave a comment:

• Dilly
    replied
    Or he doesn't like you.

Leave a comment:

• carntheroos4eva
    replied
    He hasn't said anything. So I reckon it's false.

Leave a comment:

• Shamil.
    replied
    Well, we saw no evidence of Scrum being implemented properly. They had the chance to show us some builds from Sprint Reviews, but that didn't happen.

Leave a comment:

• guvner
    replied
    Originally posted by ManagerJosh View Post
    In fact, they were not surprised one bit SCRUM failed miserably. Why? In order for SCRUM to work, you need to know EXACTLY what your customer requirements are.
    And that's because SCRUM needs a "Product Owner" representing the stake holders (us) to ensure that our collective needs are positioned right at the top of the pile (as distinct from satisfying shareholders' immediate needs), however it would appear that such an "entity" was hardly present (if at all) during the early development phase of VB4.

I for one would have much preferred that as at today, (January 2010), we'd just completed the roadmap of what needs to be delivered, meaning that VB4 Gold would not be available for 12 months from this point.

Of course, we could have started sooner, but even accepting the impact of corporate changes, a project of this scope which affects so many customers should really have followed a less "hurried" path and conformed more strictly to a well proven and established development framework.

Leave a comment:

• ManagerJosh
    replied
    Based on what Scott said, it would have taken a full vBulletin rewrite 14 months. ~14 months later, we're only a a partial rewrite and a million more bugs that keep popping out. I hate to say it, and being politically correct has gotten us no where really so I'll be blunt: Management needs to go. Management has screwed up big time and management needs to be held accountable. Everything that has led up to where we are is a result of POOR MANAGEMENT. They have no idea what's going on and have no idea what they're doing. Developers, bless their souls, for having to put up with angry customers and management who refuse to budge the on issues.

I've been running around my university talking with various Systems Analysts and System Designers and they're surprised Internet Brands attempted SCRUM. In fact, they were not surprised one bit SCRUM failed miserably. Why? In order for SCRUM to work, you need to know EXACTLY what your customer requirements are. We can clearly see though right now Internet Brands are not meeting customer requirements. Even more important, is that they need to know the product EXTREMELY well for SCRUM to work.

It is safe to conclude that if Internet Brands continues to not meet customer requirements (BUG FIXING IS A HUGE CUSTOMER REQUIREMENT AS IS STABILITY, AND FUNCTIONALITY), then vBulletin is doomed. They are barely meeting a fraction of ours. Any of the requirements currently satisfied is from vBulletin 3. Anyone who knows project management knows that if you don't meet customer requirements, you're doomed.

Let me say it also: INTERNET BRANDS IS NOT MEETING OUR REQUIREMENTS.
    Last edited by ManagerJosh; Fri 15 Jan '10, 1:31am.

Leave a comment:

• Dilly
    replied
    Originally posted by schwab2clarkson View Post
    Have just asked the man in question on Twitter.
    Stalker.

Leave a comment:

• Mike Anime
    replied
    if this is true vB will have a mojor contender in a short time frame.

between this and UBB vB has to step up to the plate in a BIG hurry.

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X