Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Former vBulletin lead developer Kier Darby to develop new forum software?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    Loco.M

• Loco.M
    replied
    only time will tell
    some of the ppl here are sure getting worked up pretty quick..lol

Leave a comment:

• BirdOPrey5

• BirdOPrey5
    replied
    Also, President Obama will be seizing control of IB like he did GM and Chrysler in order to 'bail them out' of the VB4 fiasco.

Leave a comment:

• MRGTB

• MRGTB
    replied
    Originally posted by BirdOPrey5 View Post
    I can not reveal my sources. I have it on good authority a deal will be reached within 48 hours. Keir and Mike will be millionaires.
    Cool!

Leave a comment:

• BirdOPrey5

• BirdOPrey5
    replied
    Originally posted by MRGTB View Post
    How do you know that?
    I can not reveal my sources. I have it on good authority a deal will be reached within 48 hours. Keir and Mike will be millionaires.

Leave a comment:

• MRGTB

• MRGTB
    replied
    Originally posted by Reeve of Shinra View Post
    Joking aside, they probably should.
    Your still joking

Leave a comment:

• Reeve of Shinra

• Reeve of Shinra
    replied
    I hear IB is in talks to buy XF right now.
    Joking aside, they probably should.

Keep Keir and Mike on board as part of the offer and allow them to have full control on what goes on. They can make a few tweaks in development to make the upgrade from vb3/vb4 easier and right there you have vb5 on the new architecture.

Leave a comment:

• MRGTB

• MRGTB
    replied
    How do you know that?

Leave a comment:

• BirdOPrey5

• BirdOPrey5
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Quillz

• Quillz
    replied
    It looks good, especially for what I assume is a pre-alpha or alpha release. I doubt it currently has the feature set to really compete with IPB and vB, but Kier can certainly put together a very solid package that I imagine will appeal to many.

Leave a comment:

• Reeve of Shinra

• Reeve of Shinra
    replied
    I think what Feldon is trying to say is that xenforo can be very successful but vbulletin would have seen little customer churn over if vb4 had delivered on its promises, the trust and communication (as you posted out) were there, and the team continued to do the right thing for the customer.

Leave a comment:

• Abomination

• Abomination
    replied
    Originally posted by feldon23 View Post
    If vBulletin 4 delivered the goods there would be no need for a competitor.
    Extremely interesting statement which caused me to think.

I believe if vb4 & IPB, and all the other products worked 100% (all software has bugs, some more than others) there would still be a need for xenforo, assuming the user interfaces for each package are the way they are now.

In addition to the software itself there is the business model and pricing (which I've not seen discussed yet) and basic 'trust' for each to make the correct business decisions in the future.

Leave a comment:

• BirdOPrey5

• BirdOPrey5
    replied
    Originally posted by Floris View Post
    Who the f* would ever sign anything when they quit or get fired. That's the dumbest thing ever, especially in a branch like this.
    xenforo is a fact, wether ib likes it or not. it's healthy competition to an old fashioned market.
    If someone came to you with a briefcase with $5 Million US and said you can't make any more VB Forums for 5 years if you take the money, you better damned well take the money!!!

Now... as for the legality of this, I guess between CA and EU laws it would have been hard, if not impossible, to enforce... in which case it was really Keirs and Mikes loss... A non-compete clause in exchange for compensation is a very valid business tool and should be allowed everywhere. I was a member of a good sized liquor company... we sold a little thing called Grey Goose Vodka for 2.3 billion back in 2004. As part of the agreement we couldn't go back into the Vodka business for 5 years- and rightfully so- we would have just come out with a similar product and use all our contacts and connections to be an instant competitor to the market leading ultra-premium vodka... But we weren't out of the liquor business altogether, we were allowed to do anything but Vodkas, and did. This protected the buying companies investment in the product.

Leave a comment:

• MRGTB

• MRGTB
    replied
    Originally posted by boofo View Post
    you have vbfans and now xenforo fan community. When are you going to do the ipb fans site?
    lol

Leave a comment:

• Paul M
    Former Lead Developer
    vB.Com & vB.Org

• Paul M
    replied
    Interesting, but as its not even available yet, thats about all it is atm. Something to keep an eye on tho.

Leave a comment:

• borbole

• borbole
    replied
    Originally posted by Boofo View Post
    Sorry, but I think you are the one that is naive if you believe they wouldn't have taken the money and run, like anyone in the situation with that much money involved.
    True that. I have never seen ayone yet to say No to a lot of money

About the forum, the only thing I dislike after some more in depth navigation is the javascript usage. It seems like they have used it for almost everything. Personally I would not convert away from vb but I plan to buy a copy of it if the price would be reasonable.

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X