Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Former vBulletin lead developer Kier Darby to develop new forum software?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    punchbowl

• punchbowl
    replied
    It feels lightweight and fast whereas you can almost hear vb groan as it tries to load a page.

Leave a comment:

• zshadow
    replied
    Originally posted by MRGTB View Post
    Same here to be honest and many people are getting too carried away with things. I can see some nice touches with XenForo and it may become a good forum product. But it's very early days yet. It needs much longer (years) to mature and grow fully yet. Especially if it's going to be a paid forum product, and not a free one to use.

As it stands right now, you could not say it's better than SMF and MyBB. And they are both free to use.
    Age != quality. xenForo looks and feels more polished than vB 4 is. Which is quite embarrassing.. for vB, considering the 4.x series is on its fifth revision! XF actually adds useful features, like in-page navigation. I've played around with the live forum on their site for about an hour and it's seriously impressive. There are true usability enhancements as well - hovering over the inbox tab displays a widget showing your most recently read PMs. This is stuff I thought would be in vB 4.

People want change. vB/IB had enough time to turn things around. I'm placing my faith in xenForo... it truly feels like a 'modern' forum software. The fact that Kier is behind it makes me even more pleased.

Everything with vB feels like a half effort now... the most recent addition being the Style Generator. Great in theory, poorly executed. That describes the entirety of 4.x actually.

Leave a comment:

• MRGTB

• MRGTB
    replied
    Originally posted by The Vegan Forum View Post
    From an end users point of view, I still fail to see how their early version of the new forum software offers anything that doesn't already exist in other solutions.
    Same here to be honest and many people are getting too carried away with things. I can see some nice touches with XenForo which makes it different already. And it may become a very good forum product. But it's early days, it needs much longer (years) to mature and grow fully yet. Especially if it's going to be a paid forum product, and not a free one to use.

As it stands right now, you could not say it's better than SMF and MyBB. And they are both free to use. But after only 9-10 months of development, you'd have to say it looks impressive for such a very short development time-scale put into it. That's what strikes me the most, what's been produced in such a short time.
    MRGTB
    Last edited by MRGTB; Sat 31 Jul '10, 12:36am.

Leave a comment:

• The Vegan Forum

• The Vegan Forum
    replied
    From an end users point of view, I still fail to see how their early version of the new forum software offers anything that doesn't already exist in other solutions.

WHat they possibly could have done a major job with is the admin bit, eg. when it comes to editing skins/styles - which in spite of many improvements in vB still seems very unfinished, for one specific reason: so many Stylevars controls a number of elements that one doesn't expect them too, on multiple pages.

It's easy to edit the color of a font/background on one page only to realize that some text/background on another page has become invisible (since the font now has the same color as the background). Not only is this illogical, there are no warnings or text explaining which elements that re being controlled by these Stylevars. If this works better Kier Darby's solution, I'll check it out.

Leave a comment:

• jonsidneyb

• jonsidneyb
    replied
    Originally posted by Regs
    <Offensive post removed>
    What is wrong with you?
    Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    Last edited by Steve Machol; Sat 31 Jul '10, 9:51am.

Leave a comment:

• smackLAN

• smackLAN
    replied
    Originally posted by Regs
    <Offensive post removed>
    That's a pretty tacky thing to say about anyone. Amazes me how readily people are willing to reveal their total lack of character to anyone and everyone on the internet.
    Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    Last edited by Steve Machol; Sat 31 Jul '10, 9:49am.

Leave a comment:

• anthonyparsons

• anthonyparsons
    replied
    I asked Kier and he stated... it is our software, which to me means he is not selling out. If he did, his and mike's reputation would be binned for life...

Leave a comment:

• zshadow
    replied
    Had a look at XenForo and I'm extremely impressed. This is everything I thought vB 4 would be. I'll switch in a heartbeat when it's released.

Leave a comment:

• is_it_me

• is_it_me
    replied
    Originally posted by BirdOPrey5 View Post
    the fact is if someone offered you enough money you'd take a non-compete clause if offered.
    I did, but with the knowledge it couldn't be enforced.

Leave a comment:

• Ramsesx

• Ramsesx
    replied
    Originally posted by is_it_me View Post
    I would suggest that has only been made possible by IB screwing things up, they only have themselves to blame.
    Sure, it was a big big mistake to let this talented people go.

Leave a comment:

• BirdOPrey5

• BirdOPrey5
    replied
    $5 million is a lot of money... that's 25,000 license at $200 pure profit, not counting development costs. They would have to sell A LOT of licenses to break even... but the numbers are just an example anyway, and have no basis in fact... the fact is if someone offered you enough money you'd take a non-compete clause if offered.

Leave a comment:

• is_it_me

• is_it_me
    replied
    Originally posted by Ramsesx View Post
    No doubt Kier and Mike did a great job. But the whole situation has some funny elements, it's like jesus was reborn and all his follower are hanging now on his lips listen to all holy words coming from his mouth. Remembers me on Steve Jobs. And it was foreseeable the usual suspect trying to got an important role over there.

I would suggest that has only been made possible by IB screwing things up, they only have themselves to blame.

Leave a comment:

• Floris

• Floris
    replied
    Originally posted by BirdOPrey5 View Post
    If someone came to you with a briefcase with $5 Million US and said you can't make any more VB Forums for 5 years if you take the money, you better damned well take the money!!!

Now... as for the legality of this, I guess between CA and EU laws it would have been hard, if not impossible, to enforce... in which case it was really Keirs and Mikes loss... A non-compete clause in exchange for compensation is a very valid business tool and should be allowed everywhere. I was a member of a good sized liquor company... we sold a little thing called Grey Goose Vodka for 2.3 billion back in 2004. As part of the agreement we couldn't go back into the Vodka business for 5 years- and rightfully so- we would have just come out with a similar product and use all our contacts and connections to be an instant competitor to the market leading ultra-premium vodka... But we weren't out of the liquor business altogether, we were allowed to do anything but Vodkas, and did. This protected the buying companies investment in the product.
    If I have an idea what forums could be and want to wait until non compete clause has expired, and then have potential to earn more than 5 million. The bribe for 5 years isn't worth it for me. I wouldn't sign.

Leave a comment:

• Floris

• Floris
    replied
    Originally posted by Boofo View Post
    You have vbfans and now xenforo fan community. When are you going to do the IPB fans site?
    How long we will keep vbfans is undetermined depends on how long members keep posting. And http://xenfans.com is being build. If it will go somewhere is unknown. Maybe I shut it down in 3 weeks from now. We're finalizing the business plan and mission statement.

IPB ?

Sorry, they're not worth a fan community for me. So never.

Leave a comment:

• Ramsesx

• Ramsesx
    replied
    No doubt Kier and Mike did a great job. But the whole situation has some funny elements, it's like jesus was reborn and all his follower are hanging now on his lips listen to all holy words coming from his mouth. Remembers me on Steve Jobs. And it was foreseeable the usual suspect trying to got an important role over there.

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X