Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Former vBulletin lead developer Kier Darby to develop new forum software?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MRGTB
    replied
    Keep in mind though, and you said it yourself. XenForo is very light-weight right now while vBulletin 4 isn't.

Take a look at my light-weight forum in my signature, it's way faster than XenForo. See what I mean?

Leave a comment:

• Regs
    replied
    Originally posted by smackLAN View Post
    whatever
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bromance

Fawning:
    To seek favor or attention by flattery and obsequious behavior.

The man-* reference was just a way of saying there were so many falling in love with Kier, wasn't meant to be a slight or anything towards Kier.

Hopefully a youtube video embed isn't offensive:

Cheers,

Regs.

Leave a comment:

• feldon23
    replied
    Originally posted by The Vegan Forum View Post
    From an end users point of view, I still fail to see how their early version of the new forum software offers anything that doesn't already exist in other solutions.
    It's fast, it's elegant, it's lightweight. It makes great use of existing frameworks and ideas. It has dozens of little design touches that tell me "Wow, someone is really thinking about how people actually USE forums." It shows great user interface design and an understanding of the user experience. Thus far, vBulletin 4 feels like more of the same to me, except it's slower, less efficient, 10x harder to customize, and has over a thousand documented bugs.

Kier pushed for a complete rewrite of vBulletin for the 4.0 series and was fought at every turn. Now, in ONE year, he and Mike have delivered a totally new forum platform with xenForo in the same time it's taken IB to deliver a kludgy StyleVars system and half-baked CMS.

WHat they possibly could have done a major job with is the admin bit, eg. when it comes to editing skins/styles - which in spite of many improvements in vB still seems very unfinished, for one specific reason: so many Stylevars controls a number of elements that one doesn't expect them too, on multiple pages.
    We've already seen some glimpses of the xenForo style and template system. It is exactly what vB4 SHOULD have been. Extremely lightweight and unbelievably easy to customize. It looks like it's going to take just a few hours to whip out a totally new xenForo style. xenForo should be a customizer's dream.

Leave a comment:

• MRGTB
    replied
    Kier and Mike sell XenForo to Internet Brands. Not in your worst Freddy Kruger nightmare, keep dreaming!

Leave a comment:

• feldon23
    replied
    Originally posted by BirdOPrey5 View Post
    I hear IB is in talks to buy XF right now.
    As xenForo is a private company, they are not subject to hostile takeovers. So keep dreaming.

Originally posted by Reeve of Shinra View Post
    Joking aside, they probably should.

Keep Keir and Mike on board as part of the offer and allow them to have full control on what goes on. They can make a few tweaks in development to make the upgrade from vb3/vb4 easier and right there you have vb5 on the new architecture.
    It would never work. Google "culture shock". Google "corporate culture". Google "Six Sigma".

Let's merge Lamborghini and Chevrolet. Let's merge Panasonic and Bang & Olufsen. Let's merge Jaguar and Hyundai.

Kier and Mike are a couple of guys who, over a few beers and with a strong love of life, friends, and awesome, elegant code, produced the best forum software on the planet, beating out $10,000 solutions.

IB are a corporate marketing machine that buys communities and monetizes them until they bleed. I've heard that in meetings, Bob Brisco meditates or says off-the-wall comments which had nothing to do with what was being discussed. He speaks Marketese. IB knows how to leverage companies to buy other companies. But I'm not sure they've ever sat down and thought "How should the user experience the internet?"

Reeve, BirdOfPrey, would you work for Wal-Mart? Radio Shack? America Online?

People, get some integrity for God's sake.
    Last edited by feldon23; Sat 31 Jul '10, 11:41am.

Leave a comment:

• Abomination
    replied
    From an end users point of view, I still fail to see how their early version of the new forum software offers anything that doesn't already exist in other solutions.
    Is there another easy to use script that has the database thread marking system?

We are using vb3.8, and IPB certainly does not have it, and vb4 is not an option.

Leave a comment:

• smackLAN
    replied
    Originally posted by Regs View Post
    Not really surprising that went right over your head.
    whatever

Leave a comment:

• Regs
    replied
    Originally posted by jonsidneyb View Post
    What is wrong with you?
    Obviously I'm too old.

Leave a comment:

• Regs
    replied
    Originally posted by smackLAN View Post
    That's a pretty tacky thing to say about anyone. Amazes me how readily people are willing to reveal their total lack of character to anyone and everyone on the internet.
    Not really surprising that went right over your head.

Leave a comment:

• Lizard King
    replied
    Originally posted by BirdOPrey5 View Post
    I hear IB is in talks to buy XF right now.
    Surely money can do everything however i don't think IB has enough money to buy XenForo from Kier and Mike.

Leave a comment:

• jonsidneyb
    replied
    Originally posted by punchbowl View Post
    I'm talking about the speed of the forum elements. Opening a thread, posting, browsing forums. I think it's fair. There is a pure forum version of vb.
    And the search engine works too

Leave a comment:

• steven s
    replied
    Originally posted by MRGTB View Post
    <snip>But after only 9-10 months of development, you'd have to say it looks impressive for such a very short development time-scale put into it. That's what strikes me the most, what's been produced in such a short time.
    Originally posted by zshadow View Post
    Age != quality. xenForo looks and feels more polished than vB 4 is. Which is quite embarrassing.. for vB, considering the 4.x series is on its fifth revision! XF actually adds useful features, like in-page navigation. I've played around with the live forum on their site for about an hour and it's seriously impressive. <snip>
    It feels lightweight and fast whereas you can almost hear vb groan as it tries to load a page.
    Agree on all points. What I can see is a passion for xenForo which is gone with vB. There is also a sense of community already building where here it is us against them.
    Except for those who are still drinking the Kool-Aid.
    There is no way I can afford to move my v3 site to v4. I will have to pay additional hosting fees as I see my v4 site struggling with 1/10 the amount of traffic.

Leave a comment:

• Boofo
    replied
    I'm talking about the speed of the forum elements. Opening a thread, posting, browsing forums. I think it's fair. There is a pure forum version of vb.
    Well, I disagree, but then that is ok.

Leave a comment:

• punchbowl
    replied
    Originally posted by Boofo View Post
    That is not even a fair comparison as vb has a lot more in it than xenForo does. When they start adding a CMS, blogs and all the vb has now, then comparing them will be a lot more realistic.

Leave a comment:

• Boofo
    replied
    It feels lightweight and fast whereas you can almost hear vb groan as it tries to load a page.
    That is not even a fair comparison as vb has a lot more in it than xenForo does. When they start adding a CMS, blogs and all the vb has now, then comparing them will be a lot more realistic.

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X